Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backuping FreeBSD Jails instances to LEBs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backuping FreeBSD Jails instances to LEBs?

CrabCrab Member
edited December 2012 in Help

Hello,

I have a couple of colocation servers running FreeBSD and multiple Jails instances inside both of them. The machines are redundant using HAST and CARP, but I have been thinking about ways to backup them to remote machines in case of the current data center faces major network outages.

These are my current options:

a) getting bunch of LEBs and creating some scripts rsyncing Apache+PHP+PostgreSQL content from FreeBSD to OpenVZ containers
b) buying Kimsufi special edition dedicated server(s) with FreeBSD and rsyncing the whole Jails environment there
c) something else?

I'd be very interested in hearing your professional opinions on how this should be handled in a cost effective way.

Thanks, Crab

Comments

• Are you using a jail framework?

• If you refer to ezjail, no. That came across my mind when I originally set things up, but I simply went by the handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails-application.html). That might have a wiser move as apparently it makes this type of task pretty trivial. I wonder what's the process of getting existing Jails envs under ezjail or such.

• How well FreeBSD/Jails is running under a KVM VPS? LEBs don't come with a lot of RAM so that makes the task pretty difficult. Running on a fast IO LEB from a provider like Ramnode would naturally make things easier.

I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time creating scripts getting things migrated from FreeBSD to Linux.

• You can try warden or upgrade to 9.1.

FreeBSD runs very well under KVM.

• @Crab said: I wonder what's the process of getting existing Jails envs under ezjail or such.

You may try ezjail-clone.sh

• You can try warden or upgrade to 9.1.

Warden looks very nice, but I have never had FreeBSD installation with X :) Thanks though, I'll keep it in mind for a future reference.

You may try ezjail-clone.sh

That seems to be something which would make it easy to migrate my jails to ezjail. Thanks for the tip!

Has anybody tried jails in a low memory (512MB) KVM VPS? I wonder how much RAM is left after minimal FBSD installation + zfs + necessities + jails.

• @Crab
    You don't need X, you can use the command line.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

For some reason we can't get FreeBSD 64-bit versions to run on our KVM. George at Fusioned reported similar problems...

• I almost opened a support ticket to you guys about that the other day :)

What kind of problems you have had? People are mostly complaining about poor disk I/O.

• Nick_A, no idea, but its working for both providers.
    I used FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso

Needs a little tinkering tho

@jaakka said: Nick_A, no idea, but its working for both providers.

At RamNode?

• @Nick_A

What are you using to install it? Does 32bit work?

Just loading it up like any ISO for a KVM VPS. 32-bit does work.

• @Nick_A said: For some reason we can't get FreeBSD 64-bit versions to run on our KVM. George at Fusioned reported similar problems...

To my knowledge you can't use Virtio until after (once you apply the patch). @TheHackBox was fiddling around with it earlier on OpenITC's KVM.

• Yes, virtio will only work after you install the virtio driver from either FreeBSD's ports or google search FreeBSD virtio.

I tried with IDE as well.

• You can set me up with a KVM for freebsd testing purpose :)

• yea, you can do that before too:

curl -O ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/9.0/FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
    curl -O ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/mirror/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/emulators/virtio-kmod-0.234349.tbz
    mkdir headless /mnt/freebsd
    mount FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso /mnt/freebsd
    cp -R /mnt/freebsd/ .
    cd freebsd
    tar -xjf virtio-kmod-0.234349.tbz
    cd ..
    echo 'virtio_load="YES"' >> freebsd/boot/loader.conf
    echo 'virtio_pci_load="YES"' >> freebsd/boot/loader.conf
    echo 'virtio_blk_load="YES"' >> freebsd/boot/loader.conf
    echo 'if_vtnet_load="YES"' >> freebsd/boot/loader.conf
    echo 'virtio_balloon_load="YES"' >> freebsd/boot/loader.conf
    mkisofs -v -b boot/cdboot -no-emul-boot -r -J -V "FREEBSD_INSTALL" \