Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

News from Prometeus (IperWeb Ltd.) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

News from Prometeus (IperWeb Ltd.)

2»

Comments

• Hello,
    Are anybody know what happened with iperweb support? I was create support ticket at 29 of December about trouble with Overzold VPS but still haven't answer.

• Fucking necro. You couldn't find an older thread?

• @stefeman said:
    Fucking necro. You couldn't find an older thread?

:D :D :D :D :D

• @stefeman said:
    Fucking necro. You couldn't find an older thread?

Can't tell for everyone, but I sincerely enjoyed reading it.

Just look at the first post: two new VPS plans, 256 and 512 MB RAM. Makes my heart go down the lowest end of nostalgia :)

@jan said: two new storage plans ("KVM vps with a large disk space on our Coraid SRX SAN (RAID 5)"): 200GB (256MB RAM) and 400GB (512MB RAM)

Thanked by 1bench
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am sorry, that ticket fell through the cracks due to the holidays season.

Thanked by 2raza19 treesmokah
  • @Maounique said:

It's fine. It's only been 10 years anyway.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @Maounique said:

Few weeks back I was thinking about prometeus & u. There was a time when it was all the rage back here & I was wondering why I haven't seem them in a while. There was this uncle everyone used to talk about when referring to prometeus' expertise :) How is prometeus doing these days? Has it withdrawn from the low-end market?

edited January 2023

@raza19 said: Has it withdrawn from the low-end market?

Not really. Most products cost below 7 USD. We have removed all the 128 and below plans, lower than 512 cloud plans and kept options below 1G only for configurable plans, in case someone needs only traffic or only cpu, etc.
    We are trying to merge the companies to reduce overhead.
    The power prices this year as well as IP prices reduced our margins a lot. We have been forced to pass on IP prices, albeit could "eat" the power prices so far and it looks like they would be coming down pretty soon.

The reasons we are not advertising here are many. Some everyone knows, the other is that we already have a stable base of customers, some for more than 10 years, some even from 1998 as I saw imported and re-imported from previous billing systems.
    A stable and loyal customer base is priceless, it cuts the costs all over the place and as such we were able to absorb the 4x power prices in places.

Thanked by 2raza19 adly
  • @Maounique said: A stable and loyal customer base is priceless, it cuts the costs all over the place and as such we were able to absorb the 4x power prices in places.

Prometeus is a vendor that's reliable, stable, and always professional. Can't go wrong with it and as always, it's a pleasure working with the team there. Decreasing margins due to situations outside of your control (e.g., power, IP prices) is unfortunate, but definitely hoping everything works out.

But of course. Don't sell yourself short. You guys are rockstars.

Thanked by 2Maounique BBTN
  • @Maounique said:

@raza19 said: Has it withdrawn from the low-end market?

Not really. Most products cost below 7 USD. We have removed all the 128 and below plans, lower than 512 cloud plans and kept options below 1G only for configurable plans, in case someone needs only traffic or only cpu, etc.
    We are trying to merge the companies to reduce overhead.
    The power prices this year as well as IP prices reduced our margins a lot. We have been forced to pass on IP prices, albeit could "eat" the power prices so far and it looks like they would be coming down pretty soon.

The reasons we are not advertising here are many. Some everyone knows, the other is that we already have a stable base of customers, some for more than 10 years, some even from 1998 as I saw imported and re-imported from previous billing systems.
    A stable and loyal customer base is priceless, it cuts the costs all over the place and as such we were able to absorb the 4x power prices in places.

I remember buying from prometeus too almost a decade ago :) if u advertise here I wud definitely buy again.

• Few year ago i try to remeber websites i used, then i visit xenpower. Though they won’t update there site becauee they might be closing business. But happy to hear that they want to stay alive. 🥱 good luck prometeus

• I loved their monitoring service, why didn't they become successful as a VPS/cloud service?

@bench said: I loved their monitoring service, why didn't they become successful as a VPS/cloud service?

I think you are confusing Prometeus/Iperweb with some other company. We are not providing monitoring services and were pretty successful (for a small company) at providing VPS/Cloud services.

@bdspice said: Though they won’t update there site becauee they might be closing business.

No, we just stopped selling XenPower because KVM is now running at similar speeds on similar hardware. At the time XenPower was launched, Xen still enjoyed a bare-metal performance advantage.

• @Maounique said:

@bench said: I loved their monitoring service, why didn't they become successful as a VPS/cloud service?

I think you are confusing Prometeus/Iperweb with some other company. We are not providing monitoring services and were pretty successful (for a small company) at providing VPS/Cloud services.

@bdspice said: Though they won’t update there site becauee they might be closing business.

No, we just stopped selling XenPower because KVM is now running at similar speeds on similar hardware. At the time XenPower was launched, Xen still enjoyed a bare-metal performance advantage.

Hm, so what advantages has xen vs kvm nowaday?

edited January 2023

Mainly legacy ones, xen still works with 32 bit systems albeit requires some voodoo at times and on systems without virtualization support in PV mode. For example, you don't need nested virtualization support to run a node in a VM with PV guests, but the drive to containerization of today is largely making that mostly superfluous except for some specific cases where you need a different kernel and many other cases but with very limited scope. For example, on KS-1 you can run Xen-PV domains with near-native speed. Qemu without virtualization support would still work, but it would be impossibly slow.

I used to be a Xen fan because it had all those options and I was running mainly obsolete machines, but today I can do with KVM and containers almost without thinking of Xen.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

@Maounique said: KVM can also run without virtualization support, but that would be very-very slow.

I used to be a Xen fan because it had all those options and I was running mainly obsolete machines, but today I can do with KVM and containers almost without thinking of Xen.

Yeah I think KVM's maturity as a technology has pretty much taken over the market from most of Xen's market share. This in no way is saying Xen is bad in any means, but KVM just has grown so much and in such a way that I just think it's become such a versatile tool that people just instinctively reach for their virtualization needs.

@HalfEatenPie said: But of course. Don't sell yourself short. You guys are rockstars.

I realized my sentence didn't end properly. Basically, you guys are rockstars and definitely shouldn't have to deal with it. You all deserve to continue to get paid and get paid well.

Thanked by 1Maounique
    edited February 2023

As a result of the merger of the parent company Prometeus di Daniela Agro with CDLAN as well as due to pre-existing issues with the Brexit legal framework and overhead, Iperweb LTD is being wound down.
    No more payments are possible, but the services will be kept up until a critical threshold is reached. If you need more time to move and your service has expired, we will prolong it for free.

Full announcement here:
    https://my.iperweb.com/news/view/1/winding-down-of-iperweb-operations/

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You should mention which brands specially. You had overzold, iperweb, and I thought one with 'xen' in the name.

Just helps with search results.

Good luck wherever you land.

Francisco

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

Dang. I do have like 50 euros in iwStack credits that I haven't touched in a while that i sometimes spin up every now and then based on project needs.

While that's a shame, wishing you and Uncle and everyone else involved the best of luck

• Prometeus is special since I have my first VPS with them :)

edited February 2023

Only Iperweb LTD, of course. It is a separate company, not a brand. It is published on the site of that company. It includes OVerZold, all the other brands were with Prometeus, now with CDLAN.

@HalfEatenPie said: Dang. I do have like 50 euros in iwStack

IWStack has nothing to do with it, it is accessed through own site iwstack.com and prometeus.net.

edited March 2023

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/index.php?rp=/announcements/521/Discontinuation-of-legacy-products-XenPower.html

Hello!

Thank you for being a valued customer of Prometeus through the years.

As we all know, technology changes and evolves and our product lines are taking a big leap ahead after the acquisition.

Cdlan is a big company with many resources so we have made investments in new hardware and prepared new lines of products.

However, rackspace is not unlimited and we have decided to retire old servers which are almost empty and consuming a lot of power as well as running obsolete stacks no longer maintained upstream,

We will first retire the XenPower line for which we have prepared a replacement long time ago (the TeraKVM line) but we have added an even newer line, the K-Power one.

All XenPower customers would have the opportunity to get one of the new K-Power plans and we would transfer all credit left on their old XenPower product.

The customer would be responsible for the migration and the IPs would not be transferred.

The specifications are way above the XP plans at the same price, for example:

XenPower 1G (2013 model)

CPU: 2 Core
    RAM: 1024MB
    Hard Disk: 120GB
    IP addresses: 1 IPv4, 2 IPv6
    Dedicated internet bandwidth 1gbps port : 2000 GB
    Control Panel: SolusVM
    Virtualization: XEN PV
    Price:39 Eur a year

K-Power S (2023 model)

Core @2.6 Ghz: 2
    Dedicated RAM: 4 GB
    Disk: 200GB
    Addresses: 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6
    Dedicated internet bandwidth 10 gbps port: 10000 GB
    Control Panel: Virtualizor
    KVM Powered with Fibre Channel SAN Disk

Price:36 Eur a year

As you can see, the specifications are 4-5 times higher at times and the price is actually lower.

The move should be completed within 30 days after which the old services would cease to function.

Thanked by 2coreflux jcaleb