Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to copy or clone whole ubuntu server from vps to local virtual machine?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it possible to copy or clone whole ubuntu server from vps to local virtual machine?

Recently I subscribe from linux based seedbox provider they install all necessry software like rutorrent,couchpotato,filemanager,webmin,openvpn,torrentflux,plex...i would like to copy al there setting(like os image) in my desktop and wants to run/deploy in my windows machine running ubuntu virtual machine to learn tweak and replicate.I know for windows i use acronise and possible to migrate whole backup in another new computer.But do you guys know how i can do this for linux setup.I really dont know much about linux thats why asking in community.if any of you tell me whats i need to google or any website link or your 10minute to write here...please.

Comments

• The best method would be if the provider could give you a dump file of your VPS. But if it's a seedbox and you still have files on it, it will be a very big dump file.

Or you could start learning by learning which folders are the configuration folders of the programs you require and download them to your virtual machine...

• @4n0nx said:
    The best method would be if the provider could give you a dump file of your VPS. But if it's a seedbox and you still have files on it, it will be a very big dump file.

Or you could start learning by learning which folders are the configuration folders of the programs you require and download them to your virtual machine...

Not Possible to get dumb file.they are seedbox provider they are not intereested to share they are file.but linux work like copy paste? if i copy all files from file sytem and pasted in my installed ubuntu.it will work?

• if you manage to handle permissions and special files right, yes, its possible to do something like such a cloning.

source and destination OS should match as close as possible before syncing. strongly advise to go with rsync for transferring files over and moving them into the new system selectivly afterwards (think about config files with e.g. IPs in it...)

• Falzo said: if you manage to handle permissions and special files right, yes, its possible to do something like such a cloning.

source and destination OS should match as close as possible before syncing. strongly advise to go with rsync for transferring files over and moving them into the new system selectivly afterwards (think about config files with e.g. IPs in it...)

permission and special rights comes with root access? they give root login info.

• Write a bash script and configure the services.

• @Jarland . Is DO ever going to implement a custom iso or download your snapshots feature? Or is that too expensive with the current amazon glacier backend?

When I looked at aws, they charge a ridiculous fee for bandwidth.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@GM2015 said:
    Jarland . Is DO ever going to implement a custom iso or download your snapshots feature? Or is that too expensive with the current amazon glacier backend?

When I looked at aws, they charge a ridiculous fee for bandwidth.

Local NAS + glacier so wouldn't be a problem on that front. It's definitely possible. Personally I'd like to see the rest of the images moved over to self managed kernels first ;)

• how do long do you expect snapshots to remain free?

my friend has a bunch of snapshots at DO so wouldn't want to get billed for something he really doesn't really need.

jarland said: Local NAS + glacier so wouldn't be a problem on that front. It's definitely possible. Personally I'd like to see the rest of the images moved over to self managed kernels first ;)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@GM2015 said:
    how do long do you expect snapshots to remain free?

my friend has a bunch of snapshots at DO so wouldn't want to get billed for something he really doesn't really need.

Hard to say, but we would definitely send out notice well ahead of time. As always I'd be there to help if needed :)

• Try something like rsync -a /local/dir [email protected]:/remote/dir

• shengsheng Member
    edited December 2015

cd / mkdir backup tar -cvpzf /backup/bg.tgz --exclude=/backup --exclude=/proc/* --exclude=/sys/* --exclude=/dev/* --exclude=/run/* --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/media/* --exclude=/lost+found/*

• shengsheng Member
    edited December 2015

mv this file /backup/bg.tgz to your local machine