Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hubic vs Amazon Cloud Drive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hubic vs Amazon Cloud Drive

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions around which one to use. I see pricing being quite similar both seem attractive. Is anybody having any experience around them?

Thanks

Comments

• I'm quite happy with Hubic, now that there's more software available that supports it. I'm using it with rclone to backup a 4Tb fileserver, and it's working nicely. No experience with Amazon Cloud Drive.

• Hubic is cheaper, and safer, but their factory Linux CLI client is a crap.

• darknessendsdarknessends Member
    edited December 2015

I do not think Hubic is cheaper. Almost same price

• if you want to use it as a mountable drive go with ACD. you can "stream" the files when trying to access them. with hubiC you have to download the whole file before you can access it. else they are pretty much the same. ACD may be a bit faster.

• hubiC +1

• Amazon always had a pretty nasty terms of service whenever I signed up or wanted to sign up for some of their services.

Read it first.

• Well, when I tried Amazon Cloud Drive my maximum upload speed was at 100kb/s and I can achieve 5mb/s to google drive.

• @mosan7763 said:
    if you want to use it as a mountable drive go with ACD. you can "stream" the files when trying to access them. with hubiC you have to download the whole file before you can access it. else they are pretty much the same. ACD may be a bit faster.

I think in terms of storing big video, it could be a bigger problem.

• @darknessends said:
    I think in terms of storing big video, it could be a bigger problem.

i use it for that purpose too. mounting it with acd_cli,streaming over https with nginx and bomi.

• srvrprosrvrpro Member
    edited December 2015

darknessends said: big video

Yeah, my educational videos are now using up my whole external hdd. Might have to move them to the cloud and stream from there.

• I am currently using ACD have about 3TB stored in it mostly videos. I am using it as a media server storage. I have this configured with Plex and on 4 different servers with various internet speeds (50Mbps-200Mbps). I have a VPS with Vultr running as the DL server that then uploads to ACD using ENCFS (to get around their TOS).

I have never had issues with upload or download minus a few times when Amazon went down complete. So long as my download speed is fast enough to stream the file I can watch the videos using plex with ease. All my files are encrypted before I upload and ACD maxes out my Upload and Download when I am using it.

The client from amazon is utter crap though which might be why you would see issues. I would recommend https://github.com/yadayada/acd_cli

Unfortunately there isn't an automatic way to upload files so you will need to do so via a cron job.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @srvrpro said:
    my educational videos

Education is good and all, but don't skip signing up for the practice labs to get "hands on" experience.

Thanked by 1srvrpro
  • @jamesrat said:
    I am currently using ACD have about 3TB stored in it mostly videos. I am using it as a media server storage. I have this configured with Plex and on 4 different servers with various internet speeds (50Mbps-200Mbps). I have a VPS with Vultr running as the DL server that then uploads to ACD using ENCFS (to get around their TOS).

I have never had issues with upload or download minus a few times when Amazon went down complete. So long as my download speed is fast enough to stream the file I can watch the videos using plex with ease. All my files are encrypted before I upload and ACD maxes out my Upload and Download when I am using it.

The client from amazon is utter crap though which might be why you would see issues. I would recommend https://github.com/yadayada/acd_cli

Unfortunately there isn't an automatic way to upload files so you will need to do so via a cron job.

That is a great setup i can say. So you are practically running an unlimited storage of your personal video collection.

• @darknessends said:
    That is a great setup i can say. So you are practically running an unlimited storage of your personal video collection.

This will give you the run down. I wish I could take credit for the idea: https://amc.ovh/2015/08/13/infinite-media-server.html