Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP 7 is out. anybody is using 6? I'm still using 5.2 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP 7 is out. anybody is using 6? I'm still using 5.2

2»

Comments

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Ah geez... I hope this doesn't mean I have to buy a new version of ioncube......

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited December 2015

rm_ said: Just this week I ran into the issue with the disabled "<?" in 5.6, while moving a very old website to a Debian Jessie system. The website failed in the worst way possible, instead of the user content it was just displaying a part of its PHP source-code (and I only found out a couple of days later). They really seem to have fun breaking things for no particular reason. Not going to use the 7th version until at least a few years later.

rm_ said: It was working all along. Only the PHP version change broke it -- simple as that.

BC changes happen. Personally, I wish they happened more! PHP has quite a few messes that are kept solely to prevent BC changes.

Short tags were disabled by default in 5.4 (released in 2012), which gave you plenty of time to notice. If you want to blame someone:

1. Blame whoever compiled your PHP without short tags enabled by default
    2. Blame your developer for not alerting you about the change in 2012
    3. Blame yourself for not reading/setting the ini config before going live
  • namhuynamhuy Member
    edited December 2015

srvrpro said: Did you do any kind of speedtests before and after the update? Also, the fact that you're running WordPress, any issues you came across with it? They've been preparing for php7 for months.

I don't have any kind of speedtest. Most wordpress's cache plugins don't play well with php7 as far as I tried. w3tc in fact fuked up php-fpm service and make php-fpm hangs for hours until I realized it. Also php7 does not support memcached yet.

So right now I don't have any cache plugin running, but php's opcache

• raindog308 said: I did. The first result reminded me again why it's impossible to have any pride or self-worth if you code in php.

To me it just seems like typical open source drama.

• What configure options did you guys use?

I just used --with-mysqli

Do I need anything else (for security)? I don't need gd, etc.

• @hostnoob said:
    What configure options did you guys use?

I just used --with-mysqli

Do I need anything else (for security)? I don't need gd, etc.

I just use LNMP one-key setup pack with the default settings

wget http://soft.vpser.net/lnmp/lnmp1.3beta-full.tar.gz

• No, too many issues stil

• @GIANT_CRAB said:
    I'm using PHP 7 since its beta and had no major issues with Laravel.

@HostPair said:
    Using php 7 on my wordpress site, so far no issue till now.

thats cool, i will upgrade it too since most my website using laravel and wordpress.

• @andiklive said:
    thats cool, i will upgrade it too since most my website using laravel and wordpress.

but upgrading itself wastes time. if it's not required to upgrade, who wants to upgrade?

• lewissue said: but upgrading itself wastes time. if it's not required to upgrade, who wants to upgrade?

But security itself wastes time. If it's not required for my software to work, why should I care about it?

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Rallias said: But security itself wastes time. If it's not required for my software to work, why should I care about it?

You have a bright future in the open source web development world. They all think like you.

• raindog308 said: You have a bright future in the open source web development world. They all think like you.

That's exclusive to open-source web development? Damn it.

• namhuy said: Also php7 does not support memcached yet.

PHP7 support memcached, i compiled this: php-memcached ,and works