Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP 7.0.0 Released
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP 7.0.0 Released

emreemre Member, LIR
The PHP development team announces the immediate availability of PHP 7.0.0. This release marks the start of the new major PHP 7 series.

PHP 7.0.0 comes with a new version of the Zend Engine, numerous improvements and new features such as

Improved performance: PHP 7 is up to twice as fast as PHP 5.6
    Significantly reduced memory usage
    Abstract Syntax Tree
    Consistent 64-bit support
    Improved Exception hierarchy
    Many fatal errors converted to Exceptions
    Secure random number generator
    Removed old and unsupported SAPIs and extensions
    The null coalescing operator (??)
    Return and Scalar Type Declarations
    Anonymous Classes
    Zero cost asserts

http://www.php.net

Today, we’re pleased to announce that PHP 7.0 - the fastest and most efficient PHP ever - is officially released!

PHP 7.0 brings you unprecedented levels of real-world performance and throughput by utilizing the new and advanced Zend Engine 3.0, designed and refactored for speed and reduced memory consumption. This translates to real-world benefits: greatly decreased response times, superior user experiences, and the ability to serve more users with fewer servers to maximize the power of your PHP 7.0 deployment.

The explosive performance improvements of PHP 7.0 range between 50% and 200% on real-world apps - without changing a single line of code:

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Looks good, I may try to compile it for OpenWRT and test :P

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Neaatz, need to upgrade.

• Anybody know anything about their " Secure random number generator"?

Interesting claims that it's that much faster! Will have to try this at some point.

• I tried rc2 during the summer and wordpress felt somewhat faster and also there was some compatibility issues afair.

• is this in any of the Debian repositories? testing?

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=php7&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

search for debian search toolbar on firefox/iceweasel. I can't remember where I found it or extension search doesn't show it anymore.

though I really wished firefox search bar in the top right would stop sending originating data to search engines.

eg
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lowendtalk.com&t=ffsb

&t=ffsb = t equals firefox search bar

hostnoob said: is this in any of the Debian repositories? testing?

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • nfnnfn Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    is this in any of the Debian repositories? testing

dotdeb.org

• I wait stable php7 in ppa:ondrej/php-7.0

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited December 2015

@GM2015 said:
    https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=php7&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

search for debian search toolbar on firefox/iceweasel. I can't remember where I found it or extension search doesn't show it anymore.

though I really wished firefox search bar in the top right would stop sending originating data to search engines.

eg
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lowendtalk.com&t=ffsb

&t=ffsb = t equals firefox search bar

Try DuckDuckGo plugin and disable search suggestions. Then you use bangs to search from different places.

Want to search debian packages? Sure, just type "php7 !dpkg". Google? Add !g. Search DDG bangs? Add !bang etc...

It's very useful to me atleast.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

What I tried to say was that I've got debian packages as another search engine among the other default ones and I got it from firefox marketplace, but I can't find it probably because it's already installed.

It's great anyway because I use debian 8 at home for work.

It's just a concern of mine that firefox forwards where the searches are from, as seen on duckduckgo and debian.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=wtf&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all&sourceid=mozilla-search

See sourceid=mozilla-search

Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=wtf&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

"&sourceid=Mozilla-search"

I don't care mozilla tagging amazon searches with affiliate links, Good for them. But sourceid annoys me.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=hi&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all&sourceid=mozilla-search

drazilox said: Try DuckDuckGo plugin and disable search suggestions. Then you use bangs to search from different places.

Want to search debian packages? Sure, just type "php7 !dpkg". Google? Add !g. Search DDG bangs? Add !bang etc...

It's very useful to me atleast.

• dotdeb.org

Dotdeb - PHP 7.0.0 is available for Jessie:

Packages of the PECL extensions (Memcache, Memcached, Mongo, Redis, Xdebug…) are still missing and require some work from me.

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited December 2015

upgrade from php 5.6 to 7 on my main website, everything works except memcached and w3 total cache does not support php 7 yet.

btw for the speed, I "feel" no different.

• btw for the speed, I "feel" no different.

If your setup is highly cached, you'll see little to no raw performance gain. If you wish to "feel" (at least attempt to) the difference, create a default install on 5.6 vs 7.0.

The best way to "feel" the difference is to push a ton of traffic :)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Wonder how long before this makes its way to cpanel.... They're saying itll be part of EA4 which from what I've seen is a broken pieces of trash...

• Is imagick extension available for it? How does php7 compare to hhvm?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited December 2015

n0my said: Is imagick extension available for it?

need to use phpseven branch https://github.com/mkoppanen/imagick

on Centmin Mod LEMP stack

php -v
    PHP 7.0.0 (cli) (built: Dec  4 2015 04:55:02) ( NTS )
    Copyright (c) 1997-2015 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2015 Zend Technologies
        with Zend OPcache v7.0.6-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2015, by Zend Technologies

imagick phpseven branch

php --ri imagick

imagick

imagick module => enabled
    imagick module version => @PACKAGE_VERSION@
    imagick classes => Imagick, ImagickDraw, ImagickPixel, ImagickPixelIterator, ImagickKernel
    Imagick compiled with ImageMagick version => ImageMagick 6.9.2-6 Q16 x86_64 2015-11-17 http://www.imagemagick.org
    Imagick using ImageMagick library version => ImageMagick 6.9.2-6 Q16 x86_64 2015-11-17 http://www.imagemagick.org
    ImageMagick copyright => Copyright (C) 1999-2015 ImageMagick Studio LLC
    ImageMagick release date => 2015-11-17
    ImageMagick number of supported formats:  => 225
    ImageMagick supported formats => 3FR, AAI, AI, ART, ARW, AVI, AVS, BGR, BGRA, BGRO, BIE, BMP, BMP2, BMP3, BRF, CAL, CALS, CANVAS, CAPTION, CIN, CIP, CLIP, CMYK, CMYKA, CR2, CRW, CUR, CUT, DATA, DCM, DCR, DCX, DDS, DFONT, DNG, DOT, DPX, DXT1, DXT5, EPDF, EPI, EPS, EPS2, EPS3, EPSF, EPSI, EPT, EPT2, EPT3, ERF, EXR, FAX, FITS, FRACTAL, FTS, G3, GIF, GIF87, GRADIENT, GRAY, GROUP4, GV, H, HALD, HDR, HISTOGRAM, HRZ, HTM, HTML, ICB, ICO, ICON, IIQ, INFO, INLINE, IPL, ISOBRL, ISOBRL6, JBG, JBIG, JNG, JNX, JPE, JPEG, JPG, JPS, JSON, K25, KDC, LABEL, M2V, M4V, MAC, MAGICK, MAP, MASK, MAT, MATTE, MEF, MIFF, MKV, MNG, MONO, MOV, MP4, MPC, MPEG, MPG, MRW, MSL, MSVG, MTV, MVG, NEF, NRW, NULL, ORF, OTB, OTF, PAL, PALM, PAM, PANGO, PATTERN, PBM, PCD, PCDS, PCL, PCT, PCX, PDB, PDF, PDFA, PEF, PES, PFA, PFB, PFM, PGM, PICON, PICT, PIX, PJPEG, PLASMA, PNG, PNG00, PNG24, PNG32, PNG48, PNG64, PNG8, PNM, PPM, PREVIEW, PS, PS2, PS3, PSB, PSD, PTIF, PWP, RADIAL-GRADIENT, RAF, RAS, RAW, RGB, RGBA, RGBO, RGF, RLA, RLE, RMF, RW2, SCR, SCT, SFW, SGI, SHTML, SIX, SIXEL, SPARSE-COLOR, SR2, SRF, STEGANO, SUN, SVG, SVGZ, TEXT, TGA, THUMBNAIL, TIFF, TIFF64, TILE, TIM, TTC, TTF, TXT, UBRL, UBRL6, UIL, UYVY, VDA, VICAR, VID, VIFF, VIPS, VST, WBMP, WEBP, WMF, WMV, WMZ, WPG, X, X3F, XBM, XC, XCF, XPM, XPS, XV, XWD, YCbCr, YCbCrA, YUV

Directive => Local Value => Master Value
    imagick.locale_fix => 0 => 0
    imagick.skip_version_check => 0 => 0
    imagick.progress_monitor => 0 => 0

memcached

php --ri memcached

memcached

memcached support => enabled
    Version => 2.2.0
    libmemcached version => 1.0.16
    SASL support => yes
    Session support => yes
    igbinary support => no
    json support => yes
    msgpack support => no

Directive => Local Value => Master Value
    memcached.sess_locking => 1 => 1
    memcached.sess_consistent_hash => 0 => 0
    memcached.sess_binary => 0 => 0
    memcached.sess_lock_wait => 150000 => 150000
    memcached.sess_lock_max_wait => 0 => 0
    memcached.sess_lock_expire => 0 => 0
    memcached.sess_prefix => memc.sess.key. => memc.sess.key.
    memcached.sess_number_of_replicas => 0 => 0
    memcached.sess_randomize_replica_read => 0 => 0
    memcached.sess_remove_failed => 0 => 0
    memcached.sess_connect_timeout => 3000 => 3000
    memcached.sess_sasl_username => no value => no value
    memcached.sess_sasl_password => no value => no value
    memcached.compression_type => fastlz => fastlz
    memcached.compression_factor => 1.3 => 1.3
    memcached.compression_threshold => 2000 => 2000
    memcached.serializer => php => php
    memcached.use_sasl => 0 => 0
    memcached.store_retry_count => 2 => 2

modules loaded

php -m
    [PHP Modules]
    bcmath
    bz2
    calendar
    Core
    ctype
    curl
    date
    dom
    enchant
    exif
    filter
    ftp
    gd
    geoip
    gettext
    gmp
    hash
    iconv
    imagick
    imap
    intl
    json
    libxml
    mbstring
    mcrypt
    memcached
    mysqli
    mysqlnd
    openssl
    pcntl
    pcre
    PDO
    pdo_mysql
    pdo_sqlite
    Phar
    posix
    pspell
    readline
    redis
    Reflection
    session
    shmop
    SimpleXML
    snmp
    soap
    sockets
    SPL
    sqlite3
    standard
    sysvmsg
    sysvsem
    sysvshm
    tidy
    tokenizer
    xml
    xmlreader
    xmlrpc
    xmlwriter
    Zend OPcache
    zip
    zlib

[Zend Modules]
    Zend OPcache

n0my said: How does php7 compare to hhvm?

neck and neck depending on web app can be faster or slightly slower

or if you're feeling lucky :)

php -v
    PHP 7.1.0-dev (cli) (built: Dec  4 2015 05:45:44) ( NTS )
    Copyright (c) 1997-2015 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v3.1.0-dev, Copyright (c) 1998-2015 Zend Technologies
        with Zend OPcache v7.0.6-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2015, by Zend Technologies

Thanked by 1n0my
  • PrestigePrestige Member
    edited December 2015

I've been waiting a long time for ZF3's release and hopefully the release of PHP 7.0.0 boosts the development.

• If the benchmarks are true then that's great and I'll switch, otherwise it doesn't really sound that appealing.

I will have to give it a try on my dev box.

• Memcached not working ? @namhuy

• @Prestige said:
    I've been waiting a long time for ZF3's release and hopefully the release of PHP 7.0.0 boosts the development.

You really shouldn't dabble in Necrophilia :p

• rokok said: Memcached not working ?

upgraded from 5.6 to 7, seems like php 7 does not support memcached, I had to remove memcached in order to do the upgrade process.

• I haven't got time for bleeding edge software. Too many unknowns this early on. I'd rather wait a few months for developers to catch up so my third party apps don't just die on me.