Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HitLeap released Linux viewer - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HitLeap released Linux viewer

2»

Comments

• Mun said: Wonder if i could make then view my 100mb test file ;)

<?php header('Location:  http://speedtest.tele2.net/1000GB.zip'); ?>

;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Mun said:
    Wonder if i could make then view my 100mb test file ;)

@black said:

You'll be wasting your own resources too

• jarland said: This x1000. Things like hitleap are why we can't have nice things. Driving out ad revenue as a valid method for getting paid to write content, all for a quick buck today, will have lasting negative impacts on the internet as a whole. I'm convinced of that. Don't sell out the future for a quick buck.

It's no better than the SEO people who, if we didn't have people constantly working against them, would literally demolish the internet as we know it by making it virtually impossible to find anything of value.

While I agree with the 1st paragraph, the 2nd paragraph is bollocks.

SEO is just pushing information to prominent positions, irrespective of its value. By all means, put 100% faith into search engine bias, and walk into the filter bubble.

If you want to take a hard line stance against it, you should think twice about posting anything at all online. It's sun shining out of your arse stuff.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2015

ricardo said: SEO is just pushing information to prominent positions, irrespective of its value

You know what kind of SEO people I'm talking about. Not just generic search engine optimization. I'm talking about the "SEO people" like they're a stereotype, because they are. They blast junk content and try every underhanded trick to trick search engines into listing junk content up high for ad revenue. Search engine developers are constantly fighting against them, and they do well. But if we didn't have people fighting against them, they would literally make search engines as we know them trash.

You've probably seen websites with 100% scraped content and ads slapped on either side. These are the "SEO people" I refer to.

They are people out to make a quick buck at the expense of quality content, and that is absolutely comparable. In fact, probably the same people that use hitleap.

ricardo said: It's sun shining out of your arse stuff.

You don't have to be an asshole to have conversation, you know.

Thanked by 2netomx vRozenSch00n
  • 12MB/s from California, DO. :(

black said: <?php header('Location: http://speedtest.tele2.net/1000GB.zip'); ?>

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ricardo said: SEO is just pushing information to prominent positions, irrespective of its value. By all means, put 100% faith into search engine bias, and walk into the filter bubble.

SEO shit is what makes SE algorithms go nuts and generate biases (Information theory, Signalling, ...), read ffs ...

Thanked by 1jar
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2015

I do know what you're talking about but the statement you made is logically like "some people are bad, so all people are bad".

You could apply the same arguments to open source software. Some people use if for 'good' or 'value', others don't.

Modern search engines apply user metrics and do a good job of taking care of automated spam. But to say your 'valuable' service that ranks #10 and could rank #1 because of its quality but can't 'because SEO is bad' isn't productive.

You don't have to be an asshole to have conversation, you know.

I wasn't being an asshole. You made a generic disdainful statement about an entire industry and I responded to it in kind.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Such
    Exciting
    Oral (or written?)
    Conversation

• Such wow. much traffic. so generic /s

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

ricardo said: SEO is just pushing information to prominent positions, irrespective of its value.

That's exactly the problem right there.

Thanked by 2jar TheLinuxBug
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2015

Oh, half my comments were removed for being off-topic, apparently the mod endorses your OT comment though! but fine...

Google favours big brands and smaller, more local businesses struggle because of that. Google also puts its own products above everyone elses. There's also the filter bubble effect. Odd that some people would be so vocal about the NSA hoovering up metadata about people, but not so much problem with Google doing it, or deciding what information 90% of the world finds when looking at the web.

But, if you believe it is perfect at every moment in time, and serving the best results, then I guess you're right, search engines are never wrong and anyone's elses opinion of what value is, are irrelevant.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2015

@ricardo said:
    Oh, half my comments were removed for being off-topic, apparently the mod endorses your OT comment though! but fine...

Christ man. I have to split it into another thread and merge them. I'm on my phone outside Whataburger.

Just... Whatever. Closed. If you want a you vs me thread, you know where to find it. Everyone was sufficiently warned of the pending doom for Linux providers.

This discussion has been closed.