Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS providers who can offer private networking
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS providers who can offer private networking

sdotsensdotsen Member
edited December 2012 in General

I am looking to move a commercial app off Linode due to their high cost. I'm looking for Xen, but more importantly I need private networking. I prefer to have my web server talk to my DB server via a private ip. Anyone know of a provider that could offer this?

I'm not stuck on Xen but I wouldn't mind KVM.

Comments

• BuyVM has done this for a long time :-)

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited December 2012

CloudVPS.com in the Netherlands, they use Xen, and they're cheaper than Linode

http://www.cloudvps.com/cloudvps/tour/#tour-private-cloud-virtual-clusters

• My bad, forgot to mention it has to be in the US.

• I found tektonic.net.

• @BronzeByte said: BuyVM has done this for a long time :-)

Done what, not have KVM stock like they do now?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bamn said: Done what, not have KVM stock like they do now?

We have it also available on our OVZ's if he would be fine with that as well.

Francisco

• Well I FINALLY found a Xen provider who offers exactly what I need. It was tough trying to find a company that offers Xen, Private IPs and a location in the midwest but I finally found one for a decent price.

I sent an email to LFCVPS late last evening and to my surprise, Jeff responded about an hour later on a Friday night! Xen, private IPs and a DC in Denver, CO. The price is awesome! I signed up this morning and I'm in the process of moving my personal VPS over. If all is well, I plan on moving my other two VPS nodes to LFCVPS.

I must admit, I've been with Linode for many years. I've never had an issue with them and decided to compare tests results for the network and hard disks. To my surprise, ALL 3 providers I'm using (LFCVPS, Hostigation and Ramnode) swept Linode underneath the rug. Here's hoping I don't regret my decision to leave.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

:) We have become somewhat of a small Linode alternative from what some clients tell me. I regret not catching this thread earlier--we allow extra bandwidth for VPS-to-VPS connections until we have our internal network up. Oh well; good luck at LFCVPS!

• @sdotsen I <3 LFCVPS, good choice!

• Little disapppointed w/ the network speed but I'm not serving anything large to warrant a higher speed. it's actually better than my Linode VPS in NJ.

• @sdotsen said: Little disapppointed w/ the network speed but I'm not serving anything large to warrant a higher speed. it's actually better than my Linode VPS in NJ.

You could always ask them.

• @sdotsen said: I prefer to have my web server talk to my DB server via a private ip.

If both server are in same server you can use 127.0.0.1. This address is always private.

• @tux two separate vps nodes.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I know @Nick_A said he was working on it a while back, not sure how close he was to finishing it.

• @nick not concern with bandwidth, more of a security thing.

• If you can't find a provider you like with private IP, there are alternatives to establish a secure connection with the database. Even something simple like enabling SSL within mysql.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

IPv6 only from only one IP should do as there are probably no scripts or computers fast enough on good enough networks to scan for even a subnet of ipv6 :)