Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudlinux with CageFS vs just linux - which do you use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudlinux with CageFS vs just linux - which do you use?

risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
edited December 2015 in General

Hi everyone, trying to determine how widespread cloudlinux is implemented

Thanks

Cloudlinux with CageFS vs just linux
  1. Which do you use?56 votes
    1. Yes, Cloudlinux with Cagefs
      46.43%
    2. No, normal linux distros (Centos, Debian etc.)
      53.57%

Comments

• what you want to do ?
    I mean are you hosting or its just for private project ?

Thanked by 1risharde
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

It would be for hosting... is it so good that it should be a requirement?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

The fuck is "Cloudlinux with CageFS"?

Thanked by 1risharde
  • CloudLinux is great for a shared hosting server and some other more specific needs, but for an every day personal server I can't see any reason to use CloudLinux unless you just like paying the extra $10 a month.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1risharde
  • CasterCaster Member
    edited December 2015

@risharde said:
    It would be for hosting... is it so good that it should be a requirement?

cloudlinux + litespeed = makes your day

Thanked by 1risharde
  • CloudLinux and CageFS respectively bring a whole lot to the table when speaking shared hosting - more than anything it grants you more control and isolation. I have a hard time understanding any host not using it for Linux hosting today.

As for personal websites, there's no need for it.

Thanked by 1risharde

@rm_ said:
    The fuck is "Cloudlinux with CageFS"?

Please elaborate? Not sure what is confusing?

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

All stuff available opensource (or it have an opensource alternative) what CloudLinux providing (eq. cagefs = grsecurity, lve = cgroups, etc). But, with opensource stuff you need to learn that, and need to integrate these elements into one system. This is what people get from cloudlinux, everyting integrated with a pack.

Thanked by 2risharde deadbeef

Thanks to all that commented and voted so far! :)

• Don't forget that with CloudLinux you get support from them, and they are quite good. As mentioned above you can accomplish many of the features yourself, but that comes at a cost as well. Really depends on the use case, number of servers etc to know what makes sense for your situation.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @charlie said:
    All stuff available opensource (or it have an opensource alternative) what CloudLinux providing (eq. cagefs = grsecurity, lve = cgroups, etc). But, with opensource stuff you need to learn that, and need to integrate these elements into one system. This is what people get from cloudlinux, everyting integrated with a pack.

Here is what CL gives you on top of what you can get today from open source

• cgroups integration into cron jobs, apache, ssh, mysql --> on per user level (cgroups usually work for whole MySQL, not particular user, same with apache/cron...)
    • full blown set of statistics, notifications, etc... so you can show users how much they use, when they are limited, etc...
    • performance optimizations for shared hosting (cgroups in mainland kernel don't work well when processes enter/leave LVE hundreds of times a second)
    • cagefs is actually namespaces --> it makes individual shared hosting account closer to VPS from isolation standpoint. Users don't see other users.

We also provide:

• hardened PHP -> php 4.4, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6 & 5.7. Older unsupported versions of php (4.4-5.4) have all security fixes backported.
    • OptimumCache - cache de-duplicator that often improves performance/density by 30% on systems with lots of duplicate software (think wordpress)
    • Ruby/Python selector -> ability for end user to select among multiple versions of python & ruby for hosting
    • mod_lsapi -> faster way to serve PHP (in shared hosting environment)

as well as various other security, stability & performance enhancements

• charlie said: opensource

open source*

• open sauce

spellcheckguy said: open source*

• open house

GM2015 said: open sauce

spellcheckguy said: open source*

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

@iseletsk said:

I know what CloudLinux providing. The only thing what i say, it's possible to create the same functionality with open source stuff. But it's not easy.

• jhjh Member

@charlie is right - most of the functionality is already there in modern kernels. The real benefit is integration with cPanel in my opinion.