Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nginx Domain Wildcards
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nginx Domain Wildcards

drmikedrmike Member
edited July 2011 in Help

Greets:

Since I've started using Nginx for the personal sites, I've been using an underscore for a domain wildcard. I've come across a couple of mentions that actually a pair of double quotes with nothing between them is now what's accepted.

Is there any difference between the two and how they're used? Mind you this is a domain wildcard, not a subdomain wildcard.

thanks,
-drmike

edit: Do I get any reward for asking the first legit question here on the new forums? :)

Comments

• AsimAsim Member

I have no idea, waiting to get an answer on this one

• drmikedrmike Member

sniff :(

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited July 2011

I only use domain wild cards on my development machine so I don't know. However, it's worth noting that they change the PHP SERVER_NAME variable used by some sites to _ which isn't cool if you are relying on that for anything like building the full URL.

$domain = (getenv('SERVER_NAME') AND getenv('SERVER_NAME') != '_')  ? getenv('SERVER_NAME') : getenv('HTTP_HOST');

• drmikedrmike Member

I only use domain wild cards on my development machine so I don't know.

So does that mean you use the double quotes?

• @drmike said:
    So does that mean you use the double quotes?

Yes, you should.

• lars said: Yes, you should.

Does that mean you should read the dates and not reply in a 4 year old thread?

Answer: Yes it should!

• larslars Member
    edited January 2015

@ChrisMiller said:
    Does that mean you should read the dates and not reply in a 4 year old thread?

>

Answer: Yes it should!

Does that mean you should piss off?

Answer: Yes, it should!

Somebody has to answer OP's question and so what if it is 1200 days old? That doesn't change nothing mate.

• @lars said:
    Yes, you should.

Your post has been flagged for thread necromancy.

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • @lars said:
    Does that mean you should piss off?

Your post has been flagged for abuse against other users. Please read: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/15263/lowendtalk-rules-and-guidelines#latest

• @0xdragon said:
    Your post has been flagged for abuse against other users. Please read: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/15263/lowendtalk-rules-and-guidelines#latest

You have a funny definition of "abuse"?!

• LeeLee Veteran

@lars said:
    You have a funny definition of "abuse"?!

Respect! We are all human beings, we all make mistakes and we all have different opinions. A failure to be respectfull can result in a temporary ban or, eventually, a permanent one.

• larslars Member
    edited January 2015

|