Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anycast VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anycast VPS

Hi.
Looking for providers that offer Anycast IP's with their VPS products.
I know BuyVM has this option - but I am looking for more.

No particular budget per VPS. But requirements are fairly low - 1GB RAM.
Bandwidth about 50GB tops. Space 20GB (no preference on either SSD or SATA).

TIA.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

It isn't common, I'm only aware of hostvirtual.

We plan to support BGP sessions soon and the ability to lease a /24 from us so you can BYOIP or take the /24 to anywhere you like.

Francisco

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • KrisKris Member
    edited December 2015

Host Virtual is out of your budget, I think they're now 1k MRC to talk to requiring such, and a handful of locations. Very enterprise.

Few other hosts such as BuyVM (already mentioned) & I know Vultr is testing BGP & Anycast for users in a private beta. Own prefix, ASN / LOA and space required. Anycast To Go & /24's to lease in time. Fully automated from the control panel. No time line, but work in progress.

I think Rage4 / @gbshouse provides this out of Staminus locations last I heard, not sure if they still do.

Kris said: I think Rage4 / @gbshouse provides this out of Staminus locations last I heard, not sure if they still do.

Last I heard they merged it into their other products.

Francisco

• Francisco said: BGP sessions soon and the ability to lease a /24 from us

ETA?

• Francisco said: Last I heard they merged it into their other products.

Rage4 ANY is not a product anymore, yes, i can however leverage most of the network and offer something similar either BGP based (with a private ASN or public and announce either a /24 public or less private to just me) or as static route to a VPS.

Essentially you buy a VPS/Server with a pre-defined list of providers (all of them required, it is separated in 2 zones), get an IP from them and get an IP out of my netblock (either they conf it for your VPS, you get a second network card on dedi/colo, or you get a VLAN to your port) which is "managed" anycast OR i provide you a session (direct or via one of mine, i.e. 198412) and you announce your own space or a smaller subnet of me.

SLA for sub-100ms route 98%, sub-200ms 99% - Certain restrictions apply (few ISPs and countries). Not within LEB pricing, hell no.

Thanked by 2godong netomx

@Fazzil said:
    ETA?

I would like to have if available in the next couple months.

I still need to figure out pricing if you have any ideas :P

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Francisco

$7

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Rage4 ANY will be re-launched again in January. Finalizing details and design.

• GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited December 2015

@KosherHam said:
    Hi.
    Looking for providers that offer Anycast IP's with their VPS products.
    I know BuyVM has this option - but I am looking for more.

No particular budget per VPS. But requirements are fairly low - 1GB RAM.
    Bandwidth about 50GB tops. Space 20GB (no preference on either SSD or SATA).

TIA.

http://iwstack.com/
    (Anycast by rage4)

RAM 1,5 GB+SSD 20 GB+BW 2 TB=5,04 euros

• Geekoine said: http://iwstack.com/ (Anycast by rage4)

This is not what was meant...

• KosherHamKosherHam Member
    edited December 2015

I'd like Rage4 but their API sucks.
    Very hard to import DNS zones.

Yes, I'm using this for DNS. I would like to piggyback on a provider but there's none out there that can provide anycast where I can already import existing zones.

BuyVM atm seems the only option.

• bookstackbookstack Member
    edited December 2015

I am confused.

If you are looking for the anycast dns, should that be ISP-agnostic?

If you are looking for the anycast IP routing, that require BGP support, see https://blog.cloudflare.com/a-brief-anycast-primer/. I believe very few ISP support it.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

@KosherHam - we can import the zones for you, just open support ticket

As @bookstack said the anycast DNS and managed anycast are two different services

• adenaden Member

@Francisco said:
    It isn't common, I'm only aware of hostvirtual.

We plan to support BGP sessions soon and the ability to lease a /24 from us so you can BYOIP or take the /24 to anywhere you like.

Francisco

Is this still in planning? Would be an awesome feature to have for current VPS'.

• AnyCAST is already working with Vultr, actually.

We've considered doing AnyCAST too but it may not be worth it when there's only 3 location (New Jersey, Virginia, and London/Maidenhead).

@aden said:
    Is this still in planning? Would be an awesome feature to have for current VPS'.

It is, but for now it's pretty low on the TODO list. It becomes a bit of an issue since more than a few ISP's don't use RADB or something like that putting an admin overhead on us to handle prefix lists, etc.

Francisco

• @Francisco

Wouldn't the different AS Paths also pose an issue when doing AnyCAST since there are potentially different carriers in each location?

@DigitalFyre said:
    @Francisco

Wouldn't the different AS Paths also pose an issue when doing AnyCAST since there are potentially different carriers in each location?

That's why we have a single vendor that handles our anycast announcements. If we do customer announcements we'll need to put them through Voxility or get a single vendor for that (HE or something similar).

Even still I have other projects i want to code first before the /24's.

Francisco

• DigitalFyreDigitalFyre Member
    edited June 2016

@Francisco

TBQH, I can't blame you. AnyCAST is a lot of work by any measures. When our customers wanted AnyCAST DNS, we leveraged OnApp's existing AnyCAST to do it. Not to mention IPv6 depletion.. meh

• rds100rds100 Member

Doing anycast is very easy, if you want to do it for failover / reliability reason. I.e. if one anycast location goes down, the other(s) take over as if nothing happened.
    However if you want to achieve more fine grained balancing (i.e. all US traffic must go to the US location, all EU traffic to the EU location and so on) - it becomes very hard to control it. You don't have full control on how random third party ISPs choose to route towards you.

• Failover != AnyCAST. Meanwhile, AnyCAST can certainly be used for Failover.

While AnyCAST can be "half-arsed", there's no point in doing it if it's not going to work as expected in terms of routing. This is partially why some CDN providers use GeoIP and others use AnyCAST (for example).

• rds100rds100 Member

Anycast is often used for failover, for instance most of the root name servers are anycasted for exactly this reason. Perfect routing can never be guaranteed, since you can't control the routing decisions of random third parties.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

DigitalFyre said: AnyCAST is already working with Vultr, actually.

Yep:

https://www.vultr.com/docs/high-availability-on-vultr-with-floating-ip-and-bgp

And while we're at it:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-floating-ips-on-digitalocean

Depends what the OP really wants anycast for I suppose. If it's just for failover/HA then these solutions may be of interest.

We offer HA as well.

You can failover your anycast IP's even if you really want to get fancy.

Francisco

• jimaekjimaek Member

Sorry to revive this, but I am curious if anything changed since 2 years ago.

Any new providers offering this service?

• edited May 2018

@jimaek said:
    Sorry to revive this, but I am curious if anything changed since 2 years ago.

Any new providers offering this service?

Not as far as I can tell.

Some people seem to be confusing so called floating IP's with Anycast. Floating IP's can't be assigned to more than one server at a time and are not datacenter redundant whereas Anycast is.

Amazon calls their floating IP's Elastic IP's. Their floating IP's are multi-datacenter but only in the same region. Like any floating IP they can only be assigned to one device (load balancer or server or VPC gateway or ?) at a time whereas with Anycast you can have multiple servers in multiple datacenters using the same IP.

Vultr says they can do Anycast but you have to bring your own IP's. So you need to have at least a /24 that you own or lease I believe. Maybe you need even more than /24 but I have never set it up so I don't know for sure.

OVH doesn't do Anycast as far as I can tell. Just floating IP's. There is some mention of them being able to do multi-datacenter in the same region but they don't have multiple datacenters in the same region, yet. So my guess is that they would like to be able to do that in the future so they can compete with Amazon.

• jimaekjimaek Member

Yep, I dont care about geodns or floating IPs either. I need a true anycast IP the way BuyVM does it.

Thanked by 1Francisco