Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode has a Wikipedia page
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode has a Wikipedia page

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RamNode

Actually been there for almost a year. Just stumbled on it because I typed RamNode in my search bar accidentally.

No Wikipedia pages for any other LEB providers...

Thanked by 1IgniteServers

Comments

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited December 2015

Interestingly, the wiki page says

"RamNode gained widespread attention during the rise of D2.vu".

I think hosting parts of torrent friendly Demonoid also helped them get the Wikipedia page. Seems like guerrilla marketing does work, even when you don't do it intentionally ;)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Interesting. Nice find.

Generally in order for commercial entities to be included in Wikipedia they have to be very large. Smaller companies that create their own pages or have one written about their company usually get removed.

• Purer than snow collections like wiki today and dmoz.org in the past always have a bit of err... bias, particularly if you know editors.

If any LET providers deserve a listing on there, Ramnode is a contender.

The last modified header is 30 Oct, maybe it's just as old.

• jbiloh said: Generally in order for commercial entities to be included in Wikipedia they have to be very large.

I'd argue that the case is not necessarily that they need to be "very large" (although in some cases, such as MyBB, this can work), just that they need to escape their original niche. Ramnode has some articles linked due to notoriety in the piracy community, whereas it's core functionality is in the LE* community.

Wikipedia articles are for those who can make an argument that someone cares.

• raindog308 said: RamNode in my search bar accidentally.

Sometimes I randomly type RamNode in my search bar too :)

Thanked by 2sandro vimalware
  • Kind of short... But still :P

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Ah, the good old days...

• I have seen that Afternic.com parking is hosted on RamNode servers.

Even those companies are using RamNode. Good job @Nick_A

• GunterGunter Member
    edited December 2015

Please remove this post. I think I'd rather stick to the shadows.