Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone got an unused Prometeus VZ SSD2 Pan?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone got an unused Prometeus VZ SSD2 Pan?

ShigawireShigawire Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hi,

i am looking for a 256MB Plan by Prometeus, to be more specific a one from this offer:
http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/prometeus-e5-34-month-1024mb-ssd-openvz-e18-year-256mb-ssd-openvz/

Unfortunately they are not being restocked very soon but I am currently "rebuilding" my network and in a need of that one.

So my question is, has anyone ordered such one then and just noticed that it not being used at all but a waste of money and IP?
I'd like to take it over.

Regards

Comments

• AsimAsim Member
    edited December 2012

Yes, thanks to pm14 ... OVZ will be out of stock for sometime

"After a long night Salvatore managed to move everything from pm14. It's loss for OVZ will be sorely felt, we will be without OVZ for sale for quite a long time."
    http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?t=904&p=1220#p1220

• Ewww... doesn't sound too good.
    Yesterday I ordered an OVZ at Prometeus.. It is soooo fast :D
    And I have no problems at all with that one.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Indeed pm14 (which is a big E5) was phased out (will be reconverted for KVM) and openvz ssd spread over E3 nodes. It's difficult to keep stock however since smaller nodes are filled too fast. Also we suspect there is a vps which cause some bad interaction with the kernel causing an immediate reboot of the node...

• Hm, okay.
    Any alternatives to this plan?
    I guess I really need an SSD, the server will hold a monitoring script that likes to read and write to a DB quite often.
    I would go for EDIS as my second choice, but they do not offer SSDs.
    ChicagoVPS is currently offering SSD Plans but I'd rather stick to a host with more performance and stability. (Unregarding your latest issues, you seem to be totally reliable. I don't wanna go digging for logs and find out that my IO is causing troubles. I just want to install my software and use it)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

My monitoring scripts are with GetKVM and Hostigation. I wouldn't say you need SSD for monitoring scripts (just increases the maintenance costs). (And we're talking about a monitoring script that has like 40-some VPS/Dedicated Servers)

• @HalfEatenPie Damn bro! That is a lot of vps/dedi you got there :)

• @NHRoel said: Damn bro! That is a lot of vps/dedi you got there :)

Its a bad habit.

• Oh, I forgot to metion that I would need in it western europe.
    Germany would be ideal.

@HalfEatenPie said: My monitoring scripts are with GetKVM and Hostigation. I wouldn't say you need SSD for monitoring scripts (just increases the maintenance costs). (And we're talking about a monitoring script that has like 40-some VPS/Dedicated Servers

Do you know Amon?
    After one week my database grew up to a GB. Hosting this one is more fun on an SSD :)

@Shigawire said: Any alternatives to this plan?

I've a special for KVMSSD2 coming in the next days. Contact me via PM and I'll give you the promotional code ;-)

• @Shigawire said: Do you know Amon?

After one week my database grew up to a GB. Hosting this one is more fun on an SSD :)

Oh, mine's Centreon/Nagios and Cacti combination with just a public-facing Status Script (Statusmon)

• @HalfEatenPie said: Oh, mine's Centreon/Nagios and Cacti combination with just a public-facing Status Script (Statusmon)

I am "just" monitoring 10 servers. However, Amon (http://amon.cx) is a great way to start.
    Ordered the "Plus" Edition, the developer is very helpful.

But you would still have to use your own up/down check for the servers.

Haven't found the perfect one yet.
    I just need a quick overview of all services. Just to see if everything is running as expected.
    Amon does this quite well.

Btw. @prometeus is my hero of the year.

• @Shigawire can I see a demo of your instal? Amonplus demo is not working for me

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2012

My second thought (after Prometeus) would always be Ramnode @Nick_A. I have a VPS with them and even if it is "just" SSD-cached, it works like a charm. Prometeus, so Salvatore, is my hero of the year too. My SSDVZ7 plan there runs better than the dedicated server I had before, just at a fraction of the costs.

I know that Ramnode is not in Western Europe, but the transatlantic network is VERY good.

• @Shigawire: I don't see a reason for Amon. Its basically Status2k to me. I'd rather use Centreon. Also, it doesn't use ridiculous amount of space like what you're saying...

• @HalfEatenPie status2k don't monitor network. Also it looks like amon has nice way to show status for a length of time. Only question, will it conflict with other software such as web server (for slave client). And unlike status2k you can't install it on a shared hosting account.

• Seems like Amon (to my opinion) is just Status2k with fancy smansy things here and there. Even then Centreon beats it imho if its a VPS. There's that one php status script that works for shared hosting (not only amon), and requiring a front-end Apache service to run imho is a negative.

• Amon is great.
    It's written entirely in Python, comes with an "own" webserver (tornado, also written i python).
    As @Taz said, you can monitor servers over a specific timespan.

You can find my script here:
    http://5.45.183.74/
    Login: public
    Pass: readonly

The update interval is 60 seconds and there are some flaws yet, but according to the developer, 1.1 is going to be released, soon.
    The lite version is already shipped with 1.1 and runs much more smoothly.

Currently it is running on a 512MB VPS and this one is quite performant. Not the best CPU or Disk IO, though.

It is using MongoDB as Database and currently consuming 1007MB of disk space.

@HalfEatenPie
    I didn't know Centreon, will have a look at it.

• @Shigawire

Still not sure about it but is Amon able to monitor servers without a web server installed? I'm still searching for server monitoring but having a web server installed is a huge security risk for me.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited December 2012

Last time I checked, prometeus didn't do pans o.O

@Ishaq said: Last time I checked, prometeus didn't do pans o.O

time to diversify business :P

• @taronyu it comes with an "own", called "tornado".
    It IS a Webserver, AFAIK, but check it out..