Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What tools do you use to monitor your boxes? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What tools do you use to monitor your boxes?

Comments

• edited November 2015

This is simply amazing.
    Any clues if there is a limitation of the amount of boxes we can add? Oh and I'm unable ( by clicking as described )to change the name of the box.
    EDIT:
    Found it..

Thanked by 2vfuse apidevlab
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@inthecloudblog said:
    This is simply amazing.
    Any clues if there is a limitation of the amount of boxes we can add? Oh and I'm unable ( by clicking as described )to change the name of the box.
    EDIT:
    Found it..

You can add as many server as you like, some add 1 some 100 :) I'm currently working on a new dashboard which should be easier to use and responsive.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

We use prtg and Zabbix. We've found zabbix to be very powerful and customizable which has allowed us to make it tightly integrated in our systems.

• edited November 2015

@vfuse said:
    You can add as many server as you like, some add 1 some 100 :) I'm currently working on a new dashboard which should be easier to use and responsive.

Are you the guy that makes this ?

@jbiloh said:
    We use prtg and Zabbix. We've found zabbix to be very powerful and customizable which has allowed us to make it tightly integrated in our systems.

I've read good things about zabbix but for what I need Nix Stats does an awesome job

inthecloudblog said: Are you the guy that makes this ?

yes

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • You have done a great task . Thank you!

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

He's got a huge signature flashing below his comments. https://nixstats.com/report/55243e5b4303ed7c168b4567

His comment was a strong indication that yes.

Yes, it's vincent from nixstats.

inthecloudblog said: Are you the guy that makes this ?

Thanked by 2vfuse ATHK
  • I can't see what you are stating from my phone .

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • @vfuse said:

Thank you! Also thank you for integrating Pushbullet and Pushover :D

You've made me one happy camper today.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • edited November 2015

@ATHK said:

Two if you count me :)
    Now I can see the pic of the cat. Failed to load before

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • I looked into status trackers extensively, but was unable to find one that:
    a) Had a public front-end, self-hosted
    b) Supported adding known issues / scheduled maintenances
    c) Integrated with external trackers such as Pingdom/UptimeRobot
    d) Integrated with HipChat
    e) Was able to monitor more services than HTTP

Eventually, we built our own instead - which no doubt has made it a whole lot easier. At some point, I plan to release it - but by then, I'm sure there'll be plenty of alternatives out there. It's insane how difficult it is to find a good system for this though.

Thanked by 2cassa geekalot
  • PRTG. Up to 100 sensors for free.

• I usually join my boxes/servers into Tinc VPN and collect the monitoring stats over its internal network.

To collect data on Linux/*BSD, I use Nagios.

For Windows VPSes/servers, and/or for users using primarily Windows, I use IPHost to collect data/generate reports.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FritzFritz Veteran
    edited November 2015

Can nixstats be used to show server overview for 3-6 months period @vfuse ?

@Fritz said:
    Can nixstats be used to show server overview for 3-6 months period

Yes storing up to 1 min data for 30 days and 15 minute averages for up to 1 year.

• +1 for Nagios, it really doesn't use that much resources. It's basic, powerful, and flat out works. I'm using check_by_ssh combined with a few line scripts to report / monitor all I need to know. It's very powerful.

• IgniteServersIgniteServers Member
    edited December 2015

Node query is pretty good, only thing is its having trouble reading the actual network usage on the box, as well as the incoming and outgoing bandwidth not very precise.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

+1 for NodeQuery

• armindsarminds Member, Host Rep

Zabbix, very easy to install and manage. Impressive triggers and graphs.

• Nagios

Thanked by 2Eobble jiggawatt
  • Nagios.

I actually wrote a guide on it that may help people set it up. Includes how to get nrpe up and running on cpanel servers (dnsonly).

http://virtopia.ca/forums/topic/24-centos-7-install-nagios-monitor-cpanel-servers/

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited March 2016

Anyone run their monitoring solutions in docker? I figure that way it's easier to port between providers if need be - or is it too difficult to containerise them due to the varying components each needing their own container? (e.g. mysql / webserver / etc)

• zserozsero Member

@vfuse, NIXStats looks amazing, could you make it compatible with FreeBSD (install wide it only means using pkg and /usr/local/opt)?

Also, for the Python client, I'd recommend using a virtualenv, that way you wouldn't have to install system-wide dependencies.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

In case a server in my basement doesn't work properly, I usually just go down with

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited March 2016

@vfuse, any idea how much are you planning on charging for NIXStats? It looks really good!

Also, where is all the data for the service hosted? Mostly US-based? Mostly EU-based? Only EU? mixed?

I see you're hosting with Azure.

@zsero said:
    vfuse, NIXStats looks amazing, could you make it compatible with FreeBSD (install wide it only means using pkg and /usr/local/opt)?

Also, for the Python client, I'd recommend using a virtualenv, that way you wouldn't have to install system-wide dependencies.

Thanks, a lot of fixes and upgrades for the agent are planned.

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    vfuse, any idea how much are you planning on charging for NIXStats? It looks really good!

Also, where is all the data for the service hosted? Mostly US-based? Mostly EU-based? Only EU? mixed?

I see you're hosting with Azure.

Can't tell much about pricing yet. The data is all hosted in France, europe for now with OVH. Monitoring stations are around the world tho, nothing actually gets stored on these nodes.

• sandrosandro Member

Is Nagios not free?

• sandrosandro Member
    edited May 2016

I'm looking for something like nodequery but selfhosted so I can see info live or at every refresh of the page.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@sandro said:
    Is Nagios not free?

Nagios is free, the Enterprise version is payed. Zabbix is also a good choice, as well as Sensu.

• sandrosandro Member
    edited May 2016

@Raymii said:

@sandro said:
    Is Nagios not free?

Nagios is free, the Enterprise version is payed. Zabbix is also a good choice, as well as Sensu.

Can you link the free version for Ubuntu?
    I would like something much simpler than these, like NodeQuery but selfhosted.