Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi

2»

Comments

• Anyone come up with any cool uses for a Pi?

• I'm reluctant to get one because it uses MicroSD. I hear IO is really bad on microSD cards.

• Raspberry PI's use a standard SD card, not a MicroSD.

• @timberw0lf said: Raspberry PI's use a standard SD card, not a MicroSD.

Oops. Yea, that's what I meant.

• RS Components shipped mine in 1 day (APAC region) through DHL at 4.95 GBP. Amazing.

• @tech163 said: I hear IO is really bad on microSD cards.

It is xD
    The SD is just intended for the system.
    Use external hard disks for all your stuff. You won't be using the pi for highly concurrent databases and so, lol.

• SD cards in RAID? lol

• @bdtech Anyone come up with any cool uses for a Pi?

raspi is not intended for production usage but rather than experimental stuff, so far I managed to use it as:

• Raspi + owncloud + ext usb HDD - live at my home net
    • was using it as monitor system as it can easily attached to large HDMI screen
    • raspi + Backtrack / Pawn -> you'll get a nice small pentest tool :)
    • my personal project interfacing with adruino (automation)
    • simple data logger

raspi with SD card is actually make things practical, I just get bunch of SD card and install it with different settings / linux distro, I just need to swap my SD card, every time I need to change to different functionality.

• Currently using it as a media center.

@graca said: raspi is not intended for production usage but rather than experimental stuff,

Some people would disagree.. not heavy production but definitely could be used as production.

I want to sharpen my linux skills on it. I just need another sd card >.^

• @David_P yes it has some potential for production usage, but in the end of the day, people always tend to evaluate things and improve it. And that's the time for any device with dead spec (you can't add more ram or change things) would easily replaced.

basically with Raspi its affordable to make mistake, almost similar with LEB, when you broke it, its easy to start over.