Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sanity check
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sanity check

edited December 2012 in General

Am I being unreasonable?

Purchased a service from another provider. Service was set up but failed to work. Opened a support ticket, was told there was a problem and the service should now work. The service did not work so opened another support ticket. Was told there was a problem but now the service should work. Tried again did not work. Opened a support ticket asking about the possibility of a refund as the service quite clearly wasn't working. Was told that they know there is a problem they will have to get their tech team to look into it, they were sorry but will not give a refund.

Am I being unreasonable in this situation? If this was a client of ours they would have been refunded instantly.

Comments

• chargeback time

• and thats why there is a dispute button

also, what provider?

• Depends if its in their terms to offer any refunds, I personally as a good will gesture do so even if its outside our terms or offer credit.

So what your asking us fair because you haven't got what you paid for.

• @unused said: chargeback time

Well, I hate charging back. I prefer to work through with the sellers. Not with these guys. From my ticket:

Me

"Thank you for your efforts. This is of course very unfortunate as this product has not been working since the
    moment I purchased it. Your company has now left me with no other opportunity to seek a refund via the
    payment processor."

Them:

"It would not be appropriate to ask the payment provider to make a chargeback as that system is intended to protect people from fraudulent translations so it doesn't apply here at all. If you do this then the payment will become outstanding on your account and you will need to pay for it again."

• that's BS. it's there to protect buyer in case the service hasn't been provided. just do it

• Unless they are going to send collection agency against you, you don't need to pay anything. May be give them 24 hour warning so they can either fix or refund .

• I like the "fraudulent translations"...

• @Taz said: Unless they are going to send collection agency against you, you don't need to pay anything. May be give them 24 hour warning so they can either fix or refund .

Yep, exactly. They can't force you to pay anything if the service is not working/what you paid for.

• Well it's run its course now as they have stopped replying to the ticket and closed it. I'll call the bank tomorrow and speak to them.

This is what happens when to try to set things up to provide some free web hosting for kids!

• @Amitz said: I like the "fraudulent translations"...

Completely missed that. heh :) Made me smile thanks

• @ShardHost

That's total bullshit. You aren't being unreasonable. If they were nice and offered you a free month while they figured out how to get their heads on right that would be different. Then you could consider giving them a chance.

Can you name the provider and link to their TOS so everyone is aware?

• edited December 2012

@unused said: That's total bullshit. You aren't being unreasonable. If they were nice and offered you a free month while they figured out how to get their heads on right that would be different. Then you could consider giving them a chance.

Can you name the provider and link to their TOS so everyone is aware?

I'll wait until the dispute is resolved and then update this thread with their name. I was just looking for some cheap reseller account from a large provider to give away some free hosting to kids doing web development/database courses. Their ToS does state no refunds for add-on products (of which this is) however I wasn't planning on seeking a refund as I expected the service to work.

• They can't force you to pay them anything. File the chargeback.

• @ShardHost said: I'll call the bank tomorrow and speak to them.

Did you use a debit card or what? To be honest, I wouldn't use a debit card online, only credit. Credit would provide another layer of protection for you. Discover is great with handling these kinds of cases.

But like you said, you could call the bank and try to get a stop payment.

• @ShardHost said: heir ToS does state no refunds for add-on products (of which this is) however I wasn't planning on seeking a refund as I expected the service to work.

Nobody can legally take your money, claim no refund, and then not deliver the service they sold you. (that's fraud, right?)

• Pay as credit while using debit card.

• @zachfedora said: Did you use a debit card or what? To be honest, I wouldn't use a debit card online, only credit. Credit would provide another layer of protection for you. Discover is great with handling these kinds of cases.

But like you said, you could call the bank and try to get a stop payment.

In the UK debit cards have the same protection. I am not sure of the status of B2B transactions (of which this is). The bank can clarify

@DamienSB said: Nobody can legally take your money, claim no refund, and then not deliver the service they sold you. (that's fraud, right?)

Of course it is.

• @ShardHost said: In the UK debit cards have the same protection. I am not sure of the status of B2B transactions (of which this is). The bank can clarify

Oh alright, good luck with getting this resolved :)

• What was the company?

• What was the company? Please post sauce

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@24khost said: What was the company?

@Nexus said: What was the company? Please post sauce

@ShardHost said: I'll wait until the dispute is resolved and then update this thread with their name.

• lzplzp Member
    edited December 2012

I suggest you print out the ticket(s) and bring the printout with you, just in case you need some extra proof with your bank.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@ShardHost - is this a VPS service or something else?

• @raindog308 said: @ShardHost - is this a VPS service or something else?

@ShardHost said: cheap reseller account