Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How often do providers validate active VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How often do providers validate active VPS?

DalCompDalComp Member
edited November 2015 in General

I bought a VPS last year, some days/weeks later I requested a refund due to location change from the provider side which was processed properly. Up to this day, however, that server is still online and running. There was even an IP change few weeks ago, I wasn't informed of course but this new IP was captured by NodeQuery that I installed and I can login using my private key.

Good thing: I have access to a free VPS
Bad thing:

• Privacy issue - Since my (albeit not so important/private) leftover data is being retained unnecessarily.
  • Abuse - Got hacked then gone spamming and DDoS, especially since no one secure/update whatever scripts are installed on the VPS.

Same thing happened back then with another provider called PhoenixVPS a.k.a. (somethinghosting).guru a.k.a. HostingBeam. I got a $100 invoice out of nowhere, more than 1 year after my cancellation request, due to "repeated DDoS attacks". I opened a ticket but no answer until they eventually deadpooled not long afterwards. Wild guess but what are the chances that they went down due to BW overage fees?

So, how often do providers usually cross-check active services from WHMCS against VPS that are actually online? Or do they even do this at all?

IMO for a rouge VPS to stay unnoticed after 1+ years, is not a good sign.

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

Someguy had active ovh VM servers after not paying the invoices for some months.

I wouldn't use a server you don't pay for since it's like china in a room filled with elephants or nekkis.

• @GM2015 said:
    I wouldn't use a server you don't pay for since it's like china in a room filled with elephants or nekkis.

I don't "use" them, but I do login sometimes and wonder how long until the provider realize/shut down the VPS. I don't report it to the provider, though. Am I a bad (ex)client?

• Nobody cares.

DalComp said: Am I a bad (ex)client?

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • Happens a lot I guess, you got yourself a free VPS for storing backups on!

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited November 2015

@linuxthefish said:
    Happens a lot I guess, you got yourself a free VPS for storing backups on!

That could be transfer to another client or accessed by the provider at any time.. Since the (ex)client no longer has a contract..

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited November 2015

linuxthefish said: Happens a lot I guess

You are 100% correct, I find previously cancelled or suspended VPS everytime I go looking. In the not so distant past SolusVM would fail to actually remove the container, but it was 100% on removing the data from it's database, so if was running when you tried to remove it, it remains running. Luckily most I find were in a suspended state, but it happens. I try to validate what is on the nodes is also in WHMCS at least twice a year. I bet $1 @aldryic does it as often as monthly. He is a bird dog looking for anomalies like this, but maybe not as diligent since the move off of SolusVM.

Thanked by 2DalComp zafouhar
  • @linuxthefish said:
    Happens a lot I guess, you got yourself a free VPS for storing backups on!

Please go and fix your downed KVM node at HK. -.-

• @GM2015 said:
    Someguy had active ovh VM servers after not paying the invoices for some months.

NEKKIS :O

• Bener mas bro, I got 3-6 zombie container like this, they are still active even l already cancelled it, for long long time.

Big name provider is not guaranteed they do their home work, And this is also make bf sales always interesting, cheap vm for long2 time

• My BlueVM VPS is still running, canceled >2 years ago

• It happens (VPS still active after cancellation), but if you care about your data, you should wipe/reinstall before cancellation IMHO.

Also, remember to request deletion/reset of the rDNS before cancellation (and verify it, before cancellation); assuming the provider does not let you control your own rDNS.

That is what I find even more annoying as the next customer could still have the rDNS set to one of your domains; even if they don't have control of the A records. It is tougher to request rDNS removal when you no longer pay for the VPS.

• I would write and ask them to terminate it. The best way to be sure is to really be sure.

• socialssocials Member
    edited November 2015

My servers at BlueVM are still running after cancelling them about a year ago. Haven't received any invoices, though.

Edit: Oooohh, no, wait. It shows that they're terminated now. A while ago everything was up and running.