Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Used Disk Space Dramatically Incresed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Used Disk Space Dramatically Incresed

Just checked my disk space inside WHM and see it's suddenly increased by around 10GB for no reason today. How do I view what has suddenly caused this?

Comments

• Check the log directory.

du -h /var/log

• if you've got mysql running, there might be huge binary files in /var/lib/mysql

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Are you on an OpenVZ VPS?

• Nothing unnormal in either log file. I'm on KVM

• Accounts in WHM are using 37GB according to WHM but my disk is showing 60GB used and was under 50GB this morning.

• OnraHostOnraHost Member
    edited November 2015

cd /
    alias top10='du -hsx * | sort -rh | head -10'
    top10

You can track it down the bigger folders that way, eventually or hopefully leading to it.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Backups?? Check /backup/

• @OnraHost said:
    cd /
    alias top10='du -hsx * | sort -rh | head -10'
    top10

You can track it down the bigger folders that way, eventually or hopefully leading to it.

Thanks but gives

du: cannot access ‘proc/20342/task/20342/fd/3’: No such file or directory
    du: cannot access ‘proc/20342/task/20342/fdinfo/3’: No such file or directory
    du: cannot access ‘proc/20342/fd/3’: No such file or directory
    du: cannot access ‘proc/20342/fdinfo/3’: No such file or directory

• @agoldenberg said:
    Backups?? Check /backup/

Backups are to another VPS so not there. Thanks

• Ok had to wait for that to run found the issue in /usr/tmpDSK 4.29GB for a start. No idea if I can delete this file?

• n1kko said: No idea if I can delete this file?

That is most likely your /tmp disk, so check your mounts, if it is, do not delete

• Hidden_Refuge said: Check the log directory.

du -h /var/log

Very few logs are in /var/log on a WHM box, I would look in /usr/local/apache/domlogs /usr/local/apache/logs and /usr/local/cpanel/logs

Also you can probably safely remove users error_logs

find /home/*/public_html -type f -name error_log -delete

• could you probably had the backup option turned on somehow? This could have created the sudden increase in disk consumption. Probably one of your users made a full backup

• n1kkon1kko Member
    edited November 2015

I have checked /usr/local/apache/domlogs /usr/local/apache/logs and /usr/local/cpanel/logs all seem normal with small files.

I'm the only one who accesses cPanel account as I manage all my clients account for them, very strange how 10GB + has just appeared on the disk!

Error logs has no large files either.

• Make sure your in /

Then run " du -h --max-depth=1"

This will give you a first level folder breakdown, then cd into the larger folders and do a further run to locate the location of any large files.

Thanked by 2Falzo vimalware
  • SOLVED: Just been browsing through folders in SFTP and checking dates and sizes "/home/cpbackuptmp"

No idea how that's ended up there!

Thanks everyone for the fast help... Man Love to all :D

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@n1kko check your backup config. Bet a million dollars that's where it is storing local backups

Thanked by 1n1kko
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

If you ran out of diskspace during cpanel schedule backup then chances are that temporary backup are not removed on vps created during process as it was never completed.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @AshleyUk said:

+1

@Saahib said:

+2

;-)

• @AshleyUk said:
    Make sure your in /

Then run " du -h --max-depth=1"

Is " du -h * " as fast as max-depth? That's what I've always used.
    Away from terminal now.

• @vimalware

max-depth just stops it showing every single sub folder, and only shows as many levels down as you specify.

Much easier to locate the top level folder and work your way down further, than a large wall of text including every single sub folder within the OS.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2015

@ashleyuk My bad. What i actually use is 'du -sh *'

It only came to me when my finger muscle memory kicked in at the terminal, just now .

Seems to give same output as max-depth. :)

Thanked by 1AshleyUk