Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SD Card Failure?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SD Card Failure?

eastoncheastonch Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hey there,

Purchased a 16GB SD card from an e-bay seller the other week: Worked fine for my new camera, but I just formatted it on my PC and it's come up with that it's only 63MB?

Have I borked this card?

Comments

• Format it from your camera

• It's still showing 63MB! Any other suggestions? Can't think of a program for windows to view any partitions that may be on there.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

Windows itself has 'disk management' under administrative tools. But course if the card is actually 'bad', it's not going to get much done (will fail etc).

If your camera has a "low level" format option, use that. Unless of course they actually sold you a 64MB card and somehow pre-formated it to report as 16GB. (that'd be weird.)

• @kbeezie it doesnt' however i picked up 'testdisk' and it's picked up my SD card; though I'm unsure if it will find any extra partitions.

• What version of windows are you running, I've had it since Windows 2000 Pro. And I see it in Windows 8 and Windows 7 under the Control Panel.

• Ah! Disk Management found: "pic (j:) and "healthy partition" 15GB...

Any suggestions to grab that back? Seems Windows wont let me "expand" the volume.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

Where exactly are you seeing "63MB" then? if it says healthy partition of 15gb then should all be there, what you could do is right click all the partitions on that disk (i.e.: the j: should highlight side-by-side any other partition of the same physical disk), then click delete so that it's all simply free space, then pop it into the camera and format.

When you formated it on the computer, you probably formated it as somehting other than FAT (16/32), and rather as something like NTFS or another format that has a header volume.

• Right, Thanks Kbeezie; not too much of a fan of these SD cards ^^.

• @eastonch said: Purchased a 16GB SD card from an e-bay seller the other week: Worked fine for my new camera, but I just formatted it on my PC and it's come up with that it's only 63MB?

Did you actually use more than 63mb in the camera?

There are lots of dodgy SD cards which purport to have more storage than they actually have

• @eastonch said: Right, Thanks Kbeezie; not too much of a fan of these SD cards ^^.

If the card is for the purpose of a camera or phone, it's usually best to let the device do all the formatting for you, since the default block sizes and so forth done by the computer may not be ideal for the device. (and it saves you this kind of trouble).

• You may want to take a look at this site http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/ and check the card with H2testw (The app site is translated from german with google translate) to see if may be your case.

I got some time ago a fake 4GB uSD card that was only 2GB. Ebay have been flooded with fake flash since for ever and complaints about the scammers ignored by Ebay. Even just lately after the issue hitting the mainstream news media they have been closing some accounts of the biggest scammers. :(

Finally I got a full refund from the seller.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@Luxor half the time it's the resellers that have been scammed, they order like a batch of 20 or 30 units that are not as advertised, and then resell them to end users without realizing it. Or even if they are the 'correct' size, they're counterfeits and as a result fail sooner or are not nearly the same speed or tolerance (same deal with name-brand batteries that are actually counterfeits).

eBay doesn't seem to do anything in regards to the sellers themselves, since it's pretty common for them to be victims as well. (though the distributors should be reported).

• eastoncheastonch Member
    edited December 2012

I just used a partition magic wizard, deleted the 64MB volume and made a new partition of 15GB (The only amount that's available).

The item I bought was pulled a week after receiving it (ebay contacted me); but nobody would tell me why.

Luckily, I used the card and was getting the 'class 10' speeds as I was advertised; I'm actually going to use this with my PI as I got a Sandisk 32GB for my Digi Camera.

• There are many fakes i buy only from reputable sellers (amazon ....) and only really good sd. I have some microsd with 95 MB/S transfer rate and use them to replace internal microsd from tablet to bust the performance further.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@eastonch said: I just used a partition magic wizard, deleted the 64MB volume and made a new partition of 15GB (The only amount that's available).

Don't "make" one, just delete them all and let your camera make it, that's the best way to make sure the camera has it set up the way it wants.

@tsanten said: There are many fakes i buy only from reputable sellers (amazon ....)

:P Amazon is a reputable seller? You ever notice they're basically another ebay now, as a lot of the stuff isn't even sold by Amazon anymore, just listed by them on behalf of other sellers.

• Same, I ordered a few sandisk 16GB SD Cards and no faults. :-)

@tsanten said: reputable sellers (amazon

• I've used this when something similar happened:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Use/Try gParted :P always works and helps a lot in breaking those partition tables and formatting.

• Thanks guys; means alot!

• @kbeezie said: :P Amazon is a reputable seller? You ever notice they're basically another ebay now, as a lot of the stuff isn't even sold by Amazon anymore, just listed by them on behalf of other sellers.

In Europe Amazon sell directly most of the stuff or have always the best prices and other shops can't compete.
    Maybe in time all this will change and so i do.

• @kbeezie said: You ever notice they're basically another ebay now, as a lot of the stuff isn't even sold by Amazon anymore, just listed by them on behalf of other sellers.

Just gotta make sure it's FSSS or Prime eligible, then it's at least shipping from Amazon. They've also got the AmazonBasics SDs that are pretty good and sold by Amazon..