Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bitninja Abuse Reports - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bitninja Abuse Reports

Comments

• we plan to introduce

Not interested in your personal ephiphanies of how the Internet and World Wide Web works. You're creating a mess that does not need to exist. What you need to accept is that your software causes more harm than good, certainly in the cases I have witnessed.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Oliver said:
    Good thread. Would not read again

• @AnthonySmith said:

ricardo said: Please stop framing this as a 'poorly written crawler' and review the points I've raised.

That is literally his only defense, if he acknowledged anything else he would have to acknowledge his own inability which in return leads us back to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

Why the hell did you have to bring me into this!?

• Not this shit again

Thanked by 2ATHK Clouvider
  • @inthecloudblog said:
    @bitninja_george how about an IP block ? that would be much much easier.

Blocking the IP has a set of disadvantages.

1. If you block an IP, you block it for a specific time. Attacker can, and already do abuse this behaviour and simply return after the timeout.

2. If it was a false positive, then the visitor is banned, gets frustrated and leave the site.

Our greylisting helps to mitigate both.

The problem in this case was after an initial greylisting (which was probably not a false positive, but I can't tell more since @ricardo doesn't reveal the IP) So after the initial incident there were other requests. The requests were too slow for the internal flood protection to ban the IP, but they were coming constantly, so the IP reached a threshold when we trigger to send out a report.

• @AnthonySmith said:

bitninja_george said: We plan to introduce

You have been saying crap like that for years, time to shut it down for now until you can fix it then, your causing havoc right now, at the very least stop all notices, just block and list.

Every day we get tons of email appreciating our reports and saying how helpful they were for investigating server infections or asking for help to clean their systems. We are happy to help, and proud to be a helpful free data provider for server owners. In case of a false positive we always try to find the root cause.

• I dont entirely understand how this business plan is supposed to work over the long term. If, as a security company, you send out massive amounts of false positives to providers the confidence in you as a company will plummet over time (which we can already see here). Without confidence youre rather useless as a security company that relies on others believing your word.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

bitninja_george said: Every day we get tons of email appreciating our reports and saying how helpful they were for investigating server infections or asking for help to clean their systems

No You don't.

bitninja_george said: We are happy to help

No your not.

bitninja_george said: and proud to be a helpful free data provider for server owners.

Only because you use it to spam your service and make people pay to 'really' use it, you rarely respond to emails.

bitninja_george said: In case of a false positive we always try to find the root cause.

No you don't, you continue to work in your echo chamber despite being proven to have a flawed method over and over again.

• edited February 2017

ricardo said: So you're still hijacking legitimate content with your captcha and fooling user-agents into believing the response was 200 OK. Not good.

I double checked, and just realised we actually do use 403 status code for the CAPTCHA page since 12 Jan 2017. We had a bug with the first implementation, but then it has been fixed and released. So the the CAPTCHA page has status code 403.

• @MagicalTrain said:
    I dont entirely understand how this business plan is supposed to work over the long term. If, as a security company, you send out massive amounts of false positives to providers the confidence in you as a company will plummet over time (which we can already see here). Without confidence youre rather useless as a security company that relies on others believing your word.

We secure almost 2 000 servers. Process 1 500 000 incidents a day and send out 15 000 reports. On this forum there are some users who suffered a server suspend because of our reports. I'm so sorry about it, and we do everything to avoid it in the future. Still I think this rate of false positive is very low and our reports helps a lot.

Thanks to this forum thread we have made our process better by:
    - sending the reports less frequently
    - changed the CAPTCHA page status code form 200 to 403
    - decided to implement a self service IP removal (which we will implement in Q2)

so thank you all for the feedback, and I hope we can keep up the conversation.

notice how many people are backing you up?

Not 1 person here, WHT, reddit, or literally anywhere else, apart from these mythical thank you emails you apparently get.

Maybe there is a reason for that?

Ever googled bitninja? any potential customer that ever does will never decide to use you.

• @ricardo said:

• I send 6 requests to my own shared server over a period of six hours
    • my own script (not a honeypot), over six hours, same user agent, same erroneous 200 response and captcha.
    • Same ridiculous "you are attacking other servers" email.

@bitninja_george please include the actual IP that is supposedly being attacked, in your reports.

If you are not already Bitninja's customer, sending requests to your own server is probably meaningless. They couldn't see it. They could only monitor requests to their customers' servers.

Would you like to share the incident detail section of those "you are attacking other servers" email? Maybe we can find some clues of what happened in them.

• Have you provided the ip blocks to the companies who do crawling like MJ12 and requested it?
    I'm pretty sure they not spread the list.

• @AnthonySmith said:

bitninja_george said: Every day we get tons of email appreciating our reports and saying how helpful they were for investigating server infections or asking for help to clean their systems

No You don't.

bitninja_george said: We are happy to help

No your not.

bitninja_george said: and proud to be a helpful free data provider for server owners.

Only because you use it to spam your service and make people pay to 'really' use it, you rarely respond to emails.

bitninja_george said: In case of a false positive we always try to find the root cause.

No you don't, you continue to work in your echo chamber despite being proven to have a flawed method over and over again.

+1

Hopeless.

• dodedodododedodo Member
    edited February 2017

bitninja_george said: send out 15 000 reports a day.

Sounds about right.

EDIT: I just realized that's over 200$ worth of mailgun emails...

• @dodedodo said:

bitninja_george said: send out 15 000 reports a day.

Sounds about right.

EDIT: I just realized that's over 200$ worth of mailgun emails...

Or 15 bucks of SES :p

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Wow this shit is still going? Lol!

agoldenberg said: Wow this shit is still going? Lol!

Yep, because 'this shit' is still going! lol!

• I have to bump this thread as I received a "Your server x.x.x.x has been registered as an attack source" email to abuse@ address from Bitninja regarding emails supposedly sent over 6 months ago (in January) from an IP address not in anyway related to my company (not even on any of the continents we have hosted servers at).

Despicable.

Geekuality said: I have to bump this thread as I received a "Your server x.x.x.x has been registered as an attack source" email to abuse@ address from Bitninja regarding emails supposedly sent over 6 months ago (in January) from an IP address not in anyway related to my company (not even on any of the continents we have hosted servers at).

Despicable.

Got one of those today, replied reminding them they are just as shit as they always were.

Thanked by 1sin
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

Geekuality said: I have to bump this thread as I received a "Your server x.x.x.x has been registered as an attack source" email to abuse@ address from Bitninja regarding emails supposedly sent over 6 months ago (in January) from an IP address not in anyway related to my company (not even on any of the continents we have hosted servers at).

Despicable.

Got one of those today, replied reminding them they are just as shit as they always were.

What I find amusing about this too is every time bitninja comes here to post they create a new account, 5 and counting.

No surprise, they only superficially admit their failings and refuse to acknowledge that their model only hurts the industry,

let's just say they are proven scum, that about sums it up, commercial blacklists... I guess I don't need to explain anymore.

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited July 2017

TLDR for anyone who thinks BitNinja is remotely helpful:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/a_stopped_clock_is_right_twice_a_day

Thanked by 4Tom hawc Pwner Aidan
  • @Geekuality said:
    I have to bump this thread as I received a "Your server x.x.x.x has been registered as an attack source" email to abuse@ address from Bitninja regarding emails supposedly sent over 6 months ago (in January) from an IP address not in anyway related to my company (not even on any of the continents we have hosted servers at).

Tomorrow my colleagues will investigate this and get back to you with the answer.

• What I find amusing about this too is every time bitninja comes here to post they create a new account, 5 and counting.

My account is the same since the beginning of this post.

• Maybe change the topic title to "bitninja abuses reports" or "bitninja abusive reports" or "reporting bitninja abuse"

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@bitninja_george said:

@Geekuality said:
    I have to bump this thread as I received a "Your server x.x.x.x has been registered as an attack source" email to abuse@ address from Bitninja regarding emails supposedly sent over 6 months ago (in January) from an IP address not in anyway related to my company (not even on any of the continents we have hosted servers at).

Tomorrow my colleagues will investigate this and get back to you with the answer.

Piss off.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • YuraYura Member

@TheXO said:
    I got an email from them telling me, my server is attacking some other crap website/ip, funny thing is, that was my own deployed windows vps running nothing but a clean windows os. I told them i don't fucking care and i would sue them and report the incident to their local authorities, now.. i don't get bothered again. I'm happy. They have a great service.

• WSSWSS Member

lol I remember this debacle.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@bitninja_george said:

What I find amusing about this too is every time bitninja comes here to post they create a new account, 5 and counting.

My account is the same since the beginning of this post.

Well yeah, I'd hope you would remember your account details for that long. I obviously meant every time you come here to post, on separate occasions.