Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

grave digging rule?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

grave digging rule?

curtisgcurtisg Banned
edited December 2012 in General

there should be a rule for like topics older then 3 months or something, because there is a no spam rule, but not a no grave digging rule.

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

And a rule for this would accomplish what, exactly?

• @curtisg said: there should be a rule for like topics older then 3 months or something, because there is a no spam rule, but not a no grave digging rule.

There's usually a person who tells them to not do it (e.g. myself in that one post). Putting a rule about this is pointless.

• I don't see an issue bumping an old thread if it's a discussion, as it would save the need for a new thread.

Thanked by 2Sofia_K emgh
  • "there should be a rule for like topics older then 3 months or somethin"

The rule would discriminate against the sleepy people (who post when they're half asleep and don't look at the date of the last comment before posting!!!

[disclosure: I accidentally bumped a 4 month old thread the other night...oops]

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

At times ppl get here through search engines and see a relevant discussion then feel like giving their 2c and experience with something.
    In most cases that is relevant, I think a rule like that will not do much good and will also be ignored by ppl that register just to help or give more info on something.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Rules should be at a minimum. The only rules I think are of value here are as follows:

1. Religion and politics are inappropriate here.
    2. Spammers need to be banned.
    3. Scammers need to be highlighted.
    4. Have fun.
  • @jarland and rule number 5. Oversell the stew out of your brain.

edited December 2012

I dont agree with rule number one :)
    While this is usually about computers, religion and politics are relevant each time there is an attempt, successful or not, or some suggestion to censor internet and free speech in general.
    We should be in the first line of defense against censorship, without free speech and truth out of the government control, there is no freedom.
    Internet and computers are about freedom, about breaking borders, uniting people and sharing the truth, the beauty and the knowledge.

• If a thread is, say, about a project. So and so is working on a control panel (for example). Three months later someone chimes in, "Any updates on this?". That seems okay.

Or a thread about a particular os, processor, company, all can take updates without starting all over again.
    No, grave digging is not a crime per se, pointless grave digging are annoying tho.
    Who will be the judge ? Should we also block thread opening somehow ?
    No, this is the thing that gives this place the appeal, it is liberal.
    Fools can coexist peacefully at times with wise ppl and entertain each other in their own way.
    When it goes off, well, at least some ppl find it amusing, at least for a time, when it goes past that, some mod steps in.

• As long as someone isn't bumping an old thread to say, "me too" or, "thats what I was thinking.." and they provide actual noteworthy content to an otherwise forgotten thread, go for it.

• @MannDude said: "me too" or, "thats what I was thinking.."

Some man just watched the world burn by saying "LOL" and revived the entire thread.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

The main problem with grave digging:

1) User creates a thread asking a question.
    2) Users reply to said thread with answers.
    3) 6 months later, after question is answered, user bumps thread to the top asking another question or to increase their post count.
    4) Users start replying to the original post that was resolved 6 months ago without bothering to read why the thread was bumped.

• come on, grave digging is fun

• I can't grave dig on here. The search returns only a few results --- two pages or so. Seems like search has a memory less than my very lacking one.

I detest posting rules. The more militant the rules generally are, the less inclined people are to post, especially new folks. Very fine line between policing things subversively and creating an environment that is heavy handed and becomes uninteresting fast.

Politics? Sure, just as long as it isn't someone poking another on here in the eye. But that rule should apply to any rough behavior (like providers stomping on other providers offers, pissing wars about superiority of anything, etc.).

Spammers and scammers, yeah problem. What do we do about the gray area folks like SEO?

Do people really bump threads to increase post count? Unsure why anyone would do that. Plenty to talk about without resorting to such.

• Most forums like WHT/etc use that, @KuJoe is pretty much right.

If a topic is older than 3-6months, people shouldn't beable to bump/post in it, because it should be just dead, but then again, L.E.T is a little different I think. Some topics here, contain some really dam good information, lol so up to chief I guess :D

Either way, don't care, i'll still browse ;)

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

Some forums actually ask you for verification if you want to update a old/dead thread, and some like WHT if I recall will actually stick a banner right between the end of the thread and the new post saying it's a "Necro-Bump" so that most people responding there after will know it's an ancient thread.

Some people only get upset, because they didn't bother to look at how old the thread was that they are replying to (due to the new bump) until after someone brings it up.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited December 2012

"Some topics here, contain some really dam good information"

Some older necrobumped threads here do contain excellent information for low end VPS users and providers, but I've yet to see a whining _'new forum rules needed' _ type of thread on any board that contains ANY topical information that is is useful for VPS users and providers.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler said: The search returns only a few results --- two pages or so. Seems

I've said this at least a million times; use Google.

http://google.co.uk/search?q=your+query+site:lowendtalk.com

Works a wonder, and really easy.

There is no point making a grave digging rule, because some topics will still be relevant after x months or x years even.

• Well @Infinity, use Google.. Sure how about we do away with the bundled Vanilla search (since it's very useless typically) and connect it up to Google's paid search (that pays the site for searches)?

That way none of the rehash of issue and provides income stream for the site.

• @pubcrawler said: Well @Infinity, use Google.. Sure how about we do away with the bundled Vanilla search (since it's very useless typically) and connect it up to Google's paid search (that pays the site for searches)?

I personally don't have a problem of just leaving the Vanilla search alone. Its just like saying Reddit should get rid of their search function and just use Google. Just leave it alone in my opinion :P

• Well @HalfEatenPie,

Leaving the search alone means leaving broken, ahh broken.

No idea why Vanilla has such a crappy search. For example just did a search of a recent search... For: storage VPS. The search returns 2 pages of results going back to December 20. So can't find relative conversations from a week ago in the default search.

To those not in the know that search function is broken or the site jumped into existence a week ago.

Is this a "feature" of Vanilla to prevent high load on the server or something?

• MORE RULES ON LOWENDTALK WHEN MOST RULES AREN'T FOLLOWED???

Let me in on this!

• @bamn said: WHEN MOST RULES AREN'T FOLLOWED???

Wait, we have rules?

• @vedran said: Wait, we have rules?

This one time, I thought I saw a rule being posted! Then I saw it was another curtisg's post.

I ignored it.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

Just wondering, is there a rule about this now? I did not see an answer in the thread please help.

Edit: oh no I should've bumped this one instead : ( https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4117/stop-bumping-old-threads-threads-left-untouched-for-more-than-5-days

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • uptimeuptime Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Everywhere

[...] Easter Everywhere is sort of the combination or culmination of this idea as echoed in the public. It's like everyone is snapping to this; that there is a middle ground between the Eastern trip and the Western trip, and that is by learning to use your emotion and realizing what emotion is and why it is there and how to control it from a pleasure point of view so that you don't get hung up in a down place. It's just the idea of rising from the dead all over, everywhere.