Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

https://www.glype.com/ ???? Stops from VPN ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

https://www.glype.com/ ???? Stops from VPN ??

FRESH_DOMAINSFRESH_DOMAINS Member
edited December 2012 in General

Anybody knows why that is coming ??

www.glype.com is protected by BlockScript.

BlockScript is security software which protects websites and empowers webmasters to stop unwanted traffic.
For more information about the software, please see: www.blockscript.com

Your request was blocked because you appear to be accessing this website from a hosting provider network, proxy server, or VPN server.

Comments

• Because they use BlockScript...

• So it classifies all hosting providers or block their IPs ?

• @FRESH_DOMAINS said: So it classifies all hosting providers or block their IPs ?

BlockScript manage a list of hosting providers, yes.

If you were just looking to download Glype, I mirrored it: http://ompldr.org/vZ3Qxaw/glype-1.4.2.zip

• No, I was only suprised. Because using VPN, proxy and others I really would like to stay anonymous, and it ruins the whole experience when u see a page saying - Go away ! I know what you are doing !

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited December 2012

@FRESH_DOMAINS said: No, I was only suprised. Because using VPN, proxy and others I really would like to stay anonymous

And certain sites don't like that, so they prevent you from accessing their site unless you use a residential IP.

You'll just have to live with it.

• :( yepp, or find a new bie provider.

• That sucks a bit. I hope that not too many sites begin blocking VPNs. BlockScript also recognizes my Ramnode IP as being a VPN. Just imagine Hulu.com and others would start with that too...

• This could be something big for people blocking outsiders... Especially US-Based Hulu etc, or even BBC iPlayer in the UK.

By the looks of it; they just compile a DB of IP's (from IP blocks (AS), bot dbs, tor exit node db etc..) and block it accordingly; acting like a 'front' to a website.

Damn censorship....

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I wonder if that will block cafes and airports, gas stations, hotels, whatever.
    If will know open proxies, bot networks, open/wep wireless, so on and so forth.

• @Maounique said: I wonder if that will block cafes and airports, gas stations, hotels, whatever.

Probably not. I'd imagine those would use some sort of business plan from a residential ISP, but I could be wrong.

Cool, I have one hotel and one cafe in range, i wonder how soon getting tought on crime will force those to give the key only with an ID and register your MAC or something...
    Gee, i thought the chinese will not go this far, but I guess I underestimated the fear of truth governments have.
    US will probably follow them to "protect minors" or stop the spread of dangerous religions and terrorism...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I think BlockScript is sponsored by a very large public proxy site. I found it funny.

Well, not really, Tor also maintains public lists and resources to block the network.

• good anti fraud measure though

• @solarvm said: good anti fraud measure though

At the cost of driving away potential customers that were using a VPN for a good reason.

Actually, I can understand shops doing this, that is perfectly sane, since the "customer" should probably give up the identity when buying something anyway.
    It doesnt seem right to buy anonymously unless with bitcoin or something like that.

• Well I honestly do not care if people use a VPN to order. If they use a hacked PayPal you can just suspend them. Especially for offshore hosting many people don't want to put billing or have their Ion the logs.

@gubbyte said: At the cost of driving away potential customers that were using a VPN for a good reason.

Imagine all of the lost business banks get each year for not allowing you to do your banking with a ski mask and glasses on...

• Glype helps users to defeat Internet censorship and be anonymous while web browsing.

Amazing!

• If you use that script, you'll loose potential visitor.
    I would like to say stay away from those stuff.

@Fritz said: If you use that script, you'll loose potential visitor.

I thought of that also which is why I'm considering putting this script on our order form so that it will only block orders from VPN/Proxy while still allowing all to visit our site. Might be a good option for other providers who don't want to lose visitors while still having the security on your billing area.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2012

I am wondering how will you feel regarding this same script if/when it will become widely used (in similiar way as some dnsbl) and your own IP subnets blocked by it. Do you really want to be listed and blocked as unwanted traffic by various internet services your customers use if/when it come to this?

I certainly dont condone this, but I do understand when payment gateways use it.
    However, it is a bit sad that ppl think this will solve what maxmind and fraud report cant.