Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS Public Mirror
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS Public Mirror

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited December 2012 in General

I figured it would be interesting to become a CentOS Public Mirror, for some free advertising and to help out the best server OS a little bit :)
First I tried it on an OVH KS1 dedicated server. It seemed fine but somehow rsync put the files in the wrong directory thus screwing up the server and I had to reinstall it.
Then my friend tried to put one on his cPanel shared server. That turned into a major disaster and basically took down every account on the thing!
So, really, what is the best way to do this and on average how much TB/month do you think the mirror would use? I'm tempted just to wait for another $35/month HP blade server to be available at DataShack but it's only 20TB of bandwidth.
I could just use my OVH KS1 but it feels like such a waste of an entirely nice server.
Oh and: how the heck do I do it so that it actually works?
thanks and Happy Holidays!

Comments

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited December 2012

Dude.... OVH already hosts a CentOS mirror...

here are the links:
    HTTP FTP RSYNC

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Oh well I guess that's rather pointless then. LOL.

Still free advertising though.

• @shovenose said: Still free advertising though.

CentOS will reject your mirror because they already have one on full speed directly from your provider..

Interesting, didn't know that. All pass that info on.
    But what about using DataShack? Do you think it would exceed the 20TB/month?

• @shovenose said: DataShack

Try Awknet or maybe a german/nl provider. They don't seem to have a lot of Europe providers.

• Buy your own server and then try to be a mirror. Stop being cheap ass douchebag. It is about giving back to someone not free promotion.

• @Taz said: Stop being cheap ass douchebag. It is about giving back to someone not free promotion.

Exactly, a ton of very powerful operating systems are offered to you for free.. It's about giving back and contributing to the cause and not trying to get free advertising.

• http://mirrors.melbourne.co.uk is the one I use, or yum.singlehop.com

• There are plenty of other projects in need of mirrors. Tons of lousy slow downloads for vital software.

Check first to see if mirror exists in same geography like state basis and be sure not another mirror especially on same network.

Mirror needs greatly vary. Depends on how big major downloads are and how frequently data gets accessed. You can always limit throughput to manage monthly totals.

• Good way to SEO.

Good point. What about Linux Mint?
    Anybody can think of something that needs mirrors?

• @shovenose, If u wanna mirror, there are hell lot of small projects which you can mirror. Avoid centos and others, pick small good projects, numerous open source jquery plugins, email them, tell u wanna mirror them or completely sponsor all downloads, small good messengers, small linux distributions, try to be unique, their websites have good PR and they ll need you too, things like CentOS and Debian already have loads of providers willing to give them, Recently OVH launched internal mirrors for all of them

Ah, sounds smart. How do I do it? Provide them FTP access to upload their file?

• @shovenose, It is very easy, Numerous ways to do this. :) FTP is one, you can host a repository or a local git type thing for them.

• Typically I stick to rsync for mirroring purposes. True, tried and tested. Can be a pain perfecting it initially with paths and getting files where you want them, but do once and run for eons without issues.

@shovenose, need to exit the control panel world and get to the commandline. Cpanels can be nice, but often more of a hassle than anything.