Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Openvz or KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Openvz or KVM

curtisgcurtisg Banned
edited December 2012 in Help

I am going to create a small dns server/reverse proxy and a mail server what is better to use?
Openvz or KVM?

Comments

• whichever you prefer

if my opinion matters, I say KVM

• For a small project I'd go with OpenVZ

• As many says KVM is 10-12% slower than OVZ.
    So OVZ (its Cheap as well).

• IMO, DNS server and reserve proxy do not need to use custom kernel, so i vote for OpenVZ

• My advice is to use OpenVZ always, unless there's a compelling reason no to.

• OVZ

• I use low end openvz 512MB boxes for all 3 of my (powerdns) DNS servers and an openvz 1GB for my mail server.

Openvz or KVM really doesn't matter when you're using a VPS for a mail server or DNS server. The most important thing is choosing a provider that is reliable, has a reliable network, and doesn't have frequent outages/downtime/server reboots/oversold boxes that barely function.

• I was thinking more KVM, but if OVZ is better i'll grab that.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

ovz will do the job faster for less money, so...
    You also dont need more than 256 ram for a dns and a small site.

• As a real world example. I was looking to convert one name server from OpenVZ to KVM, mostly to provide better isolation. I'm reconsidering if its really worth it. The difference?

BIND9 server OVZ = 27 megabytes total usage (fully configured)
    BIND9 server KVM = 148 megabytes (prior to loading any zones)

Looking at this in the face, I'm deleting the KVM vm and moving back to OpenVZ for this migration.

The only compelling reasons I've found so far for KVM/XEN are:

1. Running an NTP server. To my knowledge there is no way for the clock on OpenVZ to be truly independent.

2. Your application requires a custom kernel or kernel module.

3. Your application requires a specific kernel version.

4. You need to run something other than Linux.

I'm sure there are other valid reasons but I have not run into them. For anything else, I agree with several others here. Go with the lowest cost/best performing solution.

• OpenVz cheap and easy

• OpenVZ. As said you don't have special needs that need KVM.

• jhjh Member
    edited December 2012

@concerto49 said: you don't have special needs

Sure about that? ;)

• I would recommend you to go for openvz because it is highly scalable virtualization technology,strong isolation and rapid customer provisioning .

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Breezehost said: strong isolation

Ehm... No, not really, I mean compared to the others the isolation is not strong at all.
    Other than that, I agree, OVZ does the job for less money unless you need something specific like jbxl pointed out.
    The difference in ram comes from kernel and other services an OVZ which uses the kernel of HN does not need. On bigger VPSes is not noticeable.