Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I move from shared hosting to a cheap vps for my websites? if so how to setup? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I move from shared hosting to a cheap vps for my websites? if so how to setup?

2»

Comments

• lowendguy7 said: £2.49

That's not a lot for the benefit of sleeping at night while someone else keeps an eye on things.

• handyhosthandyhost Member, Host Rep

You can buy a cheap vps and install cpanel + csf on it as basic steps, but you have to pay for cpanel license or you can use free ones

• It defeats the object to install cpanel :) I would wanna use open source stuff and something less bloated.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited November 2015

@lowendguy7 buy to basic vps @virmach pay extra 3$ for the management and migrate the website there they will help you to learn they will secure the server and you also get ddos protection there

Then get another vps with @viramach pay extra $3 and just learn setup a nginx page or wordpress

or

transfer the website to the shared hosting with @virmach or @IgniteServers
    and do the second step

and @lowendguy7 what type of website is yours does it need php mysql or basic HTML stuff

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited January 2017

you will have to learn a lot of things. trust me it took me a couple of weeks to catch up working with linux and all other advanced stuff. It was useful to me, but not for an averaged person who just wants to launch a website. you should first start from disabling the root password of the host, and implementing SSH key file security and passphrase, then upgrade the server as it might have old packages installed in the system. It's important to tighten the security first before moving to production state, then install a firewall like CSF and configure it to tighten the security further, then install a monitoring software like nodequery for checking on the performance issues and other technical details of the system, then adjust the time and date. most of the servers sell in US are configured in default to their time zone, so have to change it to your own one, then install a SMTP server, something like postfix should do. I use it for reporting purposes.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017
    1. If you're getting resource exceeded messages and you're really using the resources, then you can fix it by just buying a bigger shared plan.

2. You DO usually get more resources per dollar with a vps than with shared.

3. Ignoring the knowledge question and assume you already have all the knowledge it takes to run a solid website on a vps. Are you ready to deal with managing daily backups, getting paged at 3 in the morning if the thing crashes, scouring mailing lists for security patches and installing them on no notice, etc.? If not it's probably easier to pay someone else to deal with that (i.e. shared hosting).

I've done high end web backend dev so I have quite a bit of experience in running servers. Yet at the same time for my random small personal stuff, I currently use cheap or free shared hosting plans even though I don't care much about temporary outages.

If it were for a client site, I'd get a reseller plan or tell them to sign up with buyshared unless there were special requirements. That way I don't have to deal with the stuff mentioned further up.

If you just want a cheap ($10/year) vps to play around with, try this, it is great, and big enough (512MB ram) to run most of the stuff needed for small sites (nginx/php/mysql):

https://www.vortexnode.com/clients/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=2

Note it's a Christmas special leftover. A normal price for something like that would be at least 2x higher.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2017

Some panels you could consider using:
    VestaCP
    Webmin
    AjentiWeb

I can help you setup either when I have time that is :)

Other than that get started with any free credits on digital ocean / vultr spin up some machines and play around for a bit :P

• @Ympker said:

Other than that get started with any free credits on digital ocean / vultr spin up some machines and play around for a bit :P

You do know this thread is from 2015 right?

• @PremiumN said:

@Ympker said:

You do know this thread is from 2015 right?

Rip me haha

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2017

@CUTA Necro bumping threads, especially from newbies, especially with useless comments, is something LET community doesn't like... You necro'ed a thread from 2015, just to post garbage (as the topic had already covered by all other members). I really cannot understand even how did you find this thread... Please, do not necro again. If it was not intentional, it was just stupid. If it was intentional, this is a shitty behavior...