Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP: VPS suspended due to abuse report (spam email). How can it be? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HELP: VPS suspended due to abuse report (spam email). How can it be?

2»

Comments

• No, as if they were to visit gmail.com for example via your public proxy, then they would send email via gmail's mail servers.

I don't know how someone can send mail from your server if you don't have any mailing program on your server, like exim4. A rogue php script could send emails I assume if you had any mailing software on your server at the time. See http://php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php.

I might be dead wrong anyway.

Why else would you use a public proxy? Nyr's openvpn script or hidden_refuge's squid3 proxy script could be used instead.

If you're at a public institution like a school for example, then you could restrict your webserver to deny all ips except for the ip you connect from or the range of your school if any.

tittooo7 said: visit some email website and from there automatically sends hundreds of emails...

• @GM2015 Thanks for the info
    Apart from sendmail and exim4 which mailing programs could be installed on CentOS 6?

I want to make sure that not a single mail program is ever installed on my VPS, so if I find one that would mean someone managed to get into my VPS....

• Postfix, Dovecot hmm there are much more but usually CentOS comes with sendmail and probably also postfix.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2015

GM2015 said: Why else would you use a public proxy? Nyr's openvpn script or hidden_refuge's squid3 proxy script could be used instead.

Open proxy was a good money making business. You have 50 sites full of ads with average 10k visitors a day, then you're making money, until firefox, opera, and many browsers has plugins to directly use the proxy without displaying ads.

edit:
    Many proxy business free names as .co.cc, .ce.ms, cz.cc, that's why those sub domain names were considered as spammers and scammers and got banned.

• Yes, I've read some article about that, which was the case about 9-10 years ago.

vRozenSch00n said: Open proxy was a good money making business. You have 50 sites full of ads with average 10k visitors a day, then you're making money, until firefox, opera, and many browsers has plugins to directly use the proxy without displaying ads.

• GM2015 said: which was the case about 9-10 years ago

That's right :) in around 2005-2006 people start using firefox+vidalia+tor.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

A friend of mine thinks this was the one http://original.bluehatseo.com/2006/10/, go down to Blue Hat Technique #14 - Other Spammers: The Ultimate Proxy, dated 18 Oct 2006 06:06 am. The article url won't open, but the dated archive will.

I got no idea about such things.

vRozenSch00n said: That's right :) in around 2005-2006 people start using firefox+vidalia+tor.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @GM2015 said:
    No, as if they were to visit gmail.com for example via your public proxy, then they would send email via gmail's mail servers.

Some mail servers (gmail for domain too) add client's originating IP to the mail headers and I'm pretty sure that's the cause that OPs VPS got suspended.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

So you mean that if you were to login to gmail.com via your browser at your [email protected] and send mail from home, then your home ip would also be added to the headers?

If what you say is true, then it can be scripted to send mail with browsers via public proxies.

If the public proxy is not anonymous(thus would be forwarding the client's IP in all cases), what would be added to the email headers?

ValdikSS said: Some mail servers (gmail for domain too) add client's originating IP to the mail headers and I'm pretty sure that's the cause that OPs VPS got suspended.

• GM2015 said: So you mean that if you were to login to gmail.com via your browser at your [email protected] and send mail from home, then your home ip would also be added to the headers?

Usual gmail doesn't add your IP, but gmail for work (for your own domain) would add it. Other mail servers like AOL or Yahoo always add it.

GM2015 said: If the public proxy is not anonymous(thus would be forwarding the client's IP in all cases), what would be added to the email headers?

Not sure about that. Probably yes.