Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is OpenVZ basically better for lowish RAM setups?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is OpenVZ basically better for lowish RAM setups?

sandrosandro Member
edited November 2015 in Help

Hello,
I noticed that when I run my usual setup with nginx php5-fpm e mysql I get 5-7MB RAM usage on 64/128/512MB OpenVZ containers while at least 50-60MB out of 512/1024MB on KVM and XEN.
From what I understand this is due to the different memory management and isolation, basically on openvz a big part of the system RAM is "allocated" in the node's kernel, right?

So considering all this and that the ideal host doesn't oversell wouldn't that mean the we have more RAM to work with with OpenVZ ?

Comments

• Correct. In OpenVZ, the kernel's ram usage isn't counted on your container. KVM visualizes the kernel as well so it counts toward your RAM usage in your container.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited November 2015

with ovz you get to use node resources apart from what you have

EDIT and not just low RAM, I might add, especially great when node isn't oversold

• Yes, an OpenVZ is much better for low RAM vps, which is why they are mostly the cheapest you can find. They're reliable and require less resources to run well, so they're pretty popular

• I see, is there an upper limit where this difference is negligible?

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

I think it's about 15-20MB of RAM saved by not needing to run the kernel. That will probably vary somewhat depending on modules loaded. Significant on a 64-128MB VPS but not really after that.

Btw...this is one thing a lot of the keyboard commandos around here who like to trash OVZ don't get. It's not about overselling it's about overhead efficiency. You have more RAM to work with because the individual VPS's use less. Less overhead all around but RAM is a big one. So you can host a lot more low RAM VPS's than on other platforms if you choose.

It's still a sysadmins 'choice' at the end of the day. You can overload/oversell on any VPS platform. Just about everything is easier on OVZ from a sysadmin standpoint...not just overselling. Something a google search won't tell you which is why the keyboard commandos don't 'get' it.

Thanked by 1sandro
  • Do you mean @Nekki ?

sman said: keyboard commandos

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • sandrosandro Member
    edited November 2015

"Someone who acts tough behind a keyboard online, but can't say the same things in real life."

LOL never heard of it ;)

Anyway it seems to be that on any ram setup a non-openvz container always "steals" about 40-50MB of RAM. I wonder if this stays the same or it gets higher while using more apps?

• @sman said:
    It's still a sysadmins 'choice' at the end of the day. You can overload/oversell on any VPS platform. Just about everything is easier on OVZ from a sysadmin standpoint...not just overselling. Something a google search won't tell you which is why the keyboard commandos don't 'get' it.

Like you don't actually get the basement analogy?

• Not everyone is a certified keyboard commando to understand what basement is.

On topic, ovz has very low ram use with a debian 7 min template.

Nekki said: Like you don't actually get the basement analogy?

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

I use keyboard commando as a way to describe these guys who thinks they are an expert on everything because they can do a google search on it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11507200/Google-makes-people-think-they-are-smarter-than-they-are.html

Thanked by 1sandro
  • hmm googling seems to be an issue, luckily we can always ask on LET :P

• @sman said:
    I use keyboard commando as a way to describe these guys who thinks they are an expert on everything because they can do a google search on it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11507200/Google-makes-people-think-they-are-smarter-than-they-are.html

How would you describe someone who acts like he's an expert on basements, but actually knows nothing about them?

Thanked by 2century1stop GM2015
  • topic change ~ basements.................

Thanked by 1sandro
  • JunklessJunkless Member
    edited November 2015

In our days, we used to call them keyboard warriors. Guess, we are not in the 18th century anymore.

• OT: One says commando other insists on basement and the topic gets hijacked. :D

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

I might name my next openvz server keyboard.commando or sman.basement

• I see my latest question has been considered.

• @GM2015 said:
    I might name my next openvz server keyboard.commando or sman.basement

Thanks, I needed a hostname for my new vps - keyboardcommando it is

Thanked by 1GM2015