Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats exactly is "Bandwidth" for a VPS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

whats exactly is "Bandwidth" for a VPS ?

rahulksrahulks Member
edited December 2012 in General

for example 500 GB ? is it come kind of limit?

Comments

• It usually means 500 GB per month of transfer, including incoming and outgoing traffic.

• data/transfer limit

• if it goes over 500 Gb what will happen ? like if i download a 500 gb file to VPS ?

• Then your VPS probably will get suspended

• or depending on the host, your port speed gets reduced

• NexusNexus Member
    edited December 2012

Suspended then they might even try to bill u for the leftover. (Rare)

• if your bandwidth used up to 500GB, most of will suspend your VPS, some will limit your port speed

• Automatic suspension most people have.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yeah, there is a confusion between bw and traffic.
    Ppl use the terms interchangibly and I must admit i am doing the same.
    Bandwidth is shared, of course, and this is referred to as the port speed in this forum.
    Traffic is the amount you can pass in and out of the VPS during a month.
    There are a few unmetered which means you can do all traffic you can on the shared port, but it is rare to have really unmetered traffic, most hosts will suspend you for "abuse" and some suspend you for "abuse" even on the limited traffic plans.
    This is why i am not getting unmetered VPSes anymore, last one was with eNetSouth.
    I heard good things about jarland's offer so maybe there are others which are not complete junk.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique said: Bandwidth is shared, of course, and this is referred to as the port speed in this forum.

Traffic is the amount you can pass in and out of the VPS during a month.

This is correct.

Although I've heard a few people mention something along the lines of "port speed" and "bandwidth" not being the same for FDC. Not sure what that's all about though.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@joepie91 said: Although I've heard a few people mention something along the lines of "port speed" and "bandwidth" not being the same for FDC. Not sure what that's all about though.

It might be in some cases when the actual purchased BW is lower than the port speed, for example, limehost/voxility sells 1 gbps ports but that is best effort and only guarantee 1/4 of it, therefore it is probably shared between 4 ppl.
    As such, total bw is 1 gbps but there are 4x1gbps ports sharing it.

• The amount of data allowed to traverse the line

• @Maounique said: It might be in some cases when the actual purchased BW is lower than the port speed, for example, limehost/voxility sells 1 gbps ports but that is best effort and only guarantee 1/4 of it, therefore it is probably shared between 4 ppl.

IIRC Voxility runs 1x10G per 24port G switch (1:2,4) and then 8x10G in 40G (1:2)