Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can someone explain me thius?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can someone explain me thius?

martip07martip07 Member
edited December 2012 in Help

We do our networking in 2 flavors:

1) We consume the first Free IP in their block enabling a Router Interface on their network.
2) We ip route the block to the customer’s service IP. This is common for those who use a VM router or use IPs in cPanel.

Comments

• @martip07 said: 1) We consume the first Free IP in their block enabling a Router Interface on their network.

2) We ip route the block to the customer’s service IP. This is common for those who use a VM router or use IPs in cPanel.

You signed up with Dacentec, I see.

• YA but I need help with that, dont understand that part.

• 1 IP for router communication second one is for your public usage

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2012
    1. The first options is known as getting your own VLAN (Virtual Lan), to do this they usually give you a subnet of ip addresses based on your requested amount of ip addresses, and use the first ip in the range as your Gateway address (it is a physical address added to the router which is used to route your subnet) and the last ip as your broadcast ip.

2. In the second option you are not provided a VLAN or a subnet, you are placed onto an existing subnet or VLAN and given an available ip on that VLAN. Usually used for a shared server, they will setup a VLAN for the server giving it X number of ips and will then give you an ip from this available pool of ip addresses on the server.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Cheers!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

If you're still unsure, I'd pick #2.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

From what I understand you will still waste the IPs for broadcast/gateway with 2.
    I had that option at my former job, the /29 was routed to us through our IP (on another subnet) and had to set our own routing which, of course, needed a gw and broadcast so in the end still 5 usable IPs.
    Unless it means something else ?