Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question regarding desktop version of Windows on a Dedi/VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question regarding desktop version of Windows on a Dedi/VPS?

kingcobs999kingcobs999 Member
edited November 2015 in General

Ii have heard it loads of times from different people that Microsoft does not allow use of desktop version of Windows(Vista, 7, 8 & 10) in a server environment. I tried to verify that claim from Microsoft website but was not able to find anything regarding it. Can someone here link to official source regarding it?

Comments

• Thanks for the link but it just explains licensing of virtual machines in an Enterprise or Non-Profit institutions. I want to know it because in the past I've asked a couple of providers if I can install Windows 8 on their servers & my request was turned down with the reason that Microsoft prohibits it.

• Perhaps one of these guys know a definitive answer because of their experience?

@AnthonySmith @Jar @Francisco @Nick_A @rds100 @qps @jbiloh @dediserve

• Why not ask microsoft yourself?

Thanked by 2click4easy Ole_Juul
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

No, you can't use desktop versions of the OS. Only Server versions are allowed. You would be looking for the rules under the SPLA if you want to review.

• I guess you really need to be a lawyer to use Microsoft products.

• You can use desktop versions, whether you should according to their rules is another question.

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

The only correct way for Windows OS licensing inside datacenter environment is SPLA program. SPLA doesn't cover MS desktop OSes, so datacenters can't lease you hardware with dekstop OS. This would be surely violation of license agreement.

But you can install destkop OS in case you bought its retail version. You can use such server with desktop OS only for your own needs. You can't resell it somebody. In other case this would be license violation.

• the simple answer is no as @qps said

Onlive got in trouble with microsoft for using windows 7

• As @ru_tld said, to install Windows desktop on a machine in a datacenter you need to buy the expensive full product standalone retail package (NOT the OEM package or the upgrade version), but there are restrictions. To check the terms yourself, insert "Windows 10 eula" in Google and open the Microsoft License Terms for Windows 10 Retail web page. A few highlights:

• point 2, section c, title v: "this license does not give you any right to, and you may not use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users".

• point 2, section d, title V: the remote desktop may be accessed by a single user. You are allowed to designate a different user no more than once every 90 days.

• point 4, section b: "You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement.". You cannot use a second-hand license.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Define server. Is it the same as a computer accessible over the Internet?