Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Force10 S50N?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Force10 S50N?

BrandonBrandon Member
edited December 2012 in General

Has anyone used this switch? If so, what are your thoughts on it and how has it performed for you?

Comments

• @Francisco has a few.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Stay away, terrible.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Jacob said: @Francisco has a few.

They work fine. We'd continue using them in Vegas if we didn't want to get away from LACP bonds with a merged chassis.

Francisco

• @CVPS_Chris said: Stay away, terrible.

We have a couple in operation in and they have been performing splendidly. What particular issues did you face Chris?

• Yeah I've looked at the reviews and many people on WHT say it's a great switch.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

We have a few and they've been pretty good. We also use the FESX448/FESX648 and they work well.

@CVPS_Chris - what do you use?

@Francisco said: merged chassis

Foundry/Brocade BigIron RX-series?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@qps said: Foundry/Brocade BigIron RX-series?

SuperX.

We're only using the unit for layer 2. We looked at an RX8 but the BGP tables max at ~550k or so on them.

We looked at a cisco 6509 as well but they drew a crap ton of power.

Francisco

• Yeah I wanted to get a few FESX648s but they're really hard to find in the grey market.

@Brandon said: Yeah I wanted to get a few FESX648s but they're really hard to find in the grey market.

www.terabitsystems.com - let me know if you need a contact there

• Both of our Force10's died within a couple hours of being racked. Almost definitely an issue with our source (ebay) and not the hardware, but we like Foundry/Brocade better anyway. We use a SuperX as well.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2012

We use Force10 S25Ps for transport links (1G in 2x10G ports) by vlans.
    Didn't try it yet but they seem promising and also pretty cheap (Force10 S25P + 2x10G XFP Module) for 1500EUR which gives you 24 SFP ports and 4x GigE Cat6.

Only think i don't like are the fixed PSUs and the 10G ports on the back.

• @qps said: www.terabitsystems.com - let me know if you need a contact there

Yeah I checked these guys out and they didn't have the ones I wanted in stock.