Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN issue (v4/6)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN issue (v4/6)

So I have three servers, A is for IPv4 gateway, while B is for IPv6 gateway, C is the VPN server. What I want to do is setting up a VPN server, and let traffic pass through these two gateway for further connections, where IPv4 goes A, v6 goes B.

Is this possible to do so with software like OpenVPN or Shadowsocks?

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Do you really want to use C? With OpenVPN you could simply set up A and B and push routes for IPv4 from one server and for IPv6 from the other.

The same can be done if you really want to connect via C, obviously.

• lifehomelifehome Member
    edited November 2015

@Nyr C is a backup, in case of anything happens.
    Which doc I should dig into? Really a noob in VPN stuff like these

@lifehome said:
    Nyr C is a backup, in case of anything happens.
    Which doc I should dig into? Really a noob in VPN stuff like these

A backup in the sense of connecting if one of the other links are down? If so, just push the IPv4 default route from A and the IPv6 default route from B. You'll need to establish two connections, one per box.

You'll need to use some client side magic to disconnect both connections when one of them goes down and automatically connect C, not sure what would be the best approach.

Check the official OpenVPN man, is a good resource. Oh, and please note that you will need a fully routed subnet to use IPv6 over tun (so no OpenVZ).

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited November 2015

Like Nyr said, you need routed subnet and that you can get from Hurrican Network. VPN without ipv6 is not that secure, because more and more sites support ipv6 and if you check your traffic (with Wireshark etc.) you will see that is not encrypted.

Disabel WebRTC on your browser as well, if not, he will leak your real IP without problem. You can use this site to check if your VPN leak your IP in your browser: https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/.

tb-tun is a userspace program that utilizes TUN/TAP to build a tunnelbroker tunnel on linux https://code.google.com/p/tb-tun/. If you never done this before it will take you a lot of time to set this kind of VPN server, but you will get 100% better security for you.

ZEROF said: VPN without ipv6 is not that secure, because more and more sites support ipv6 and if you check your traffic (with Wireshark etc.) you will see that is not encrypted.

This is wrong, IPv6 leaks are a client side problem. And anyway I would certainly prefer no IPv6 to single-homed HE IPv6.

• @Nyr that is what i just said, you need to encrypt your ipv6 traffic. Maybe i didn't explain well.

@ZEROF said:
    Nyr that is what i just said, you need to encrypt your ipv6 traffic. Maybe i didn't explain well.

Wrong again. You just need to avoid routing IPv6 if not available via the VPN.