Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end priced vps/dedi in Spain (KVM preferred)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end priced vps/dedi in Spain (KVM preferred)

Hi there,

I am looking for low end vps or dedi in Spain. I'm already using ginernet and edis, but looking for more providers. I've seen oneprovider is back with kvm in Valencia. Anything else?

Thanks!

ps: maybe @nyr knows some?

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2015

There aren't many good options in Spain. Take a look at Unelink and maybe CubeNode, they are decent.

Oneprovider is probably using SoloGigabit, I wouldn't touch them.

Thanked by 1lmerino
  • It seems TakerHost offers KVM VPS in Spain.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2015

VPS... yea, no, not within price range you are wanting, all other VPS providers easily charge 10EUR+. GinerNet is with FAR distance the cheapest followed by EDIS special offers and then by regular EDIS offers, then by everyone else.

https://cubenode.com/cart.php?gid=6 - Madrid?, (Neodigit - Cogent, NTT), 20EUR

https://www.unelink.es/servidores-virtuales-standard-33-1567.html - Valencia, 10EUR, (Cogent, France Telecom)

http://www.hostalia.com/vps/ - Barcelona, 12EUR (Acens - TATA, Telefonica)

http://ibericahost.net/virtual.html - Barcelona, 10EUR (Vodafone/ONO? Seems weird, probably business line and not DC)

http://www.interdominios.com/vps/ - Madrid, 9EUR, 10Mbps only (NTT, DTAG)

Avoid SoloGigabit at all cost. Cogent is very popular in Spain for DCs but not for the end-user ISPs, enabling the paradox routing via France and Germany, NTT in general works well. ESPANIX is nice but does not give the large peers anyway so i would not worry too much if DC does not have it.

Comvive has decent dedis (E3, E5, i7?) in Madrid with much traffic (10 or 20TB) but costly IPs and network is sometimes acting up.

Thanked by 2bersy lmerino

William said: https://cubenode.com/cart.php?gid=6 - Madrid?, (Neodigit - Cogent, NTT), 20EUR

Yes, Madrid. Previously hosted with Comvive, looks like they are now running their own network?

William said: http://ibericahost.net/virtual.html - Barcelona, 10EUR (Vodafone/ONO? Seems weird, probably business line and not DC)

They are in some ONO building, not in Barcelona but Palma de Mallorca (Islas Baleares). Very weird, indeed.

William said: http://www.interdominios.com/vps/ - Madrid, 9EUR, 10Mbps only (NTT, DTAG)

Wouldn't suggest them for production.

• Nyr said: They are in some ONO building, not in Barcelona but Palma de Mallorca (Islas Baleares). Very weird, indeed.

Kinda strange, yea.

I also like Dinahosting but they are expensive as hell.

• We are indeed on the Sologigabit infrastructure, with no issues to report from any customers so far!
    Feel free to contact me in PM if you need information or would like to test the service!

• OneProvider said: with no issues to report from any customers

Nearly singlehomed Cogent, DC basically some converted space in a city far from major internet hubs with a single backhaul link to Madrid (or BCN) that already broke in the past (now they have a second upstream but in failover case your BW pricing does not cover their BW costs, meaning they make minus and at one point will either kick you OR again switch mainly to Cogent once back), very questionable history (lots of FTP warez in their old NL loc), basically ran away from NL ops leaving customers.... decide yourself if they are such a good idea to work with...

I can attest to what @William said about SoloGigabit and I've had bad experiences with them personally, also the CEO is a complete liar. From them, you can only expect long downtime.

And yes, they love warez and agreed to knowingly host a BIG site some years ago when I was involved in the scene.

• I have an ovz server with Ginernet and so far the service had been great.

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • Nyr said: And yes, they love warez and agreed to knowingly host a BIG site some years ago when I was involved in the scene

Now, before someone comes up with the Nforce, NGZ or Mos.at things keep in mind these ISPs did not "know" it clearly - they had suspicions, yes, but unlike SL did not explicitly agree to it from start.

Somehow I forgot about the MasMovil brands:

https://cirrusflex.com

http://www.mascloud.es

Own DC in Madrid, network isn't great but you can get way worse in Spain. Last I checked, Cirrusflex had some weird limitations on the smaller VMs but they could be fixed now. Oh, and they were using RAID 5 for the nodes...

• @William said:
    VPS... yea, no, not within price range you are wanting, all other VPS providers easily charge 10EUR+. GinerNet is with FAR distance the cheapest followed by EDIS special offers and then by regular EDIS offers, then by everyone else.

It has been a while since I saw an EDIS offer, am I missing something? I saw a 10% recurring coupon around a few days ago, but nothing else.

• @lmerino said:
    It has been a while since I saw an EDIS offer, am I missing something? I saw a 10% recurring coupon around a few days ago, but nothing else.

EDIS's service level and value for money has dropped significantly over the course of the last year.

• lmerino said: It has been a while since I saw an EDIS offer, am I missing something? I saw a 10% recurring coupon around a few days ago, but nothing else.

No idea, however the offers back then were competitive for Spain, so i included it in the list.

• I had an EDIS KVM in Spain some time ago. Network sucked big time in the DC they were in. Unfortunately, I don't remember where in Spain it was.

• pechspilz said: Unfortunately, I don't remember where in Spain it was

Madrid, Comvive. Same as GinerNet primarily uses.

@pechspilz said:
    I had an EDIS KVM in Spain some time ago. Network sucked big time in the DC they were in. Unfortunately, I don't remember where in Spain it was.

Comvive's network is not very stable but price/quality ratio is among the best you can get at Interxion. It's a shame that some of the staff is not very technically competent, but still is a decent choice for the price and location.

• @William said:
    William, your ip address?

• Nyr said: It's a shame that some of the staff is not very technically competent

oh god, i could tell stories about Comvive. Sadly, as you said, it is by far the most economical colo in ES if you don't want to get your own transit plus full rack.

etians said: William, your ip address?

my what? Just send an email as i said... you have the address...

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

We offer openvz vpses in Spain. Let me know if you are interested in openvz instead of Kvm.

• May be you can have a look at Cirrusflex (https://cirrusflex.com). It's KVM based (actually OpenStack based) so you can get VPS capabilities and pricing plus Virtual Datacenter features (pay per use, virtual networks, load balancers...).

Regarding some comments about poor network performance, the bandwidth of the virtual machines scales up just like cpus, memory or disk space does. The bigger server, the better bandwidth.

Still, we can tailor VPS features (bandwith, cpu, memory, disk, IO, number of public IPs) for customers with special demand. Just contact us.

@dudeofthestick said:
    Regarding some comments about poor network performance, the bandwidth of the virtual machines scales up just like cpus, memory or disk space does. The bigger server, the better bandwidth.

The smaller instance having less than 1 mbps of available bandwidth to a lot of locations, last I checked.

Anyway I was referring to network quality, not just bandwidth: transit to many BIG networks with open peering policies may not be acceptable for some customers, also some very weird routes.

And not network related, but worth pointing out: using RAID 5 for virtualization nodes is borderline criminal and can provide a very good idea of the competence of whoever was in charge of that decision.

I definitively wouldn't recommend your service for production in the current state and it's a real shame because competition is really needed in the country.

• @dudeofthestick thanks for the info. I'm actually testing your free tier, but I have to pay 2.16eur per month for a "public port". What is this?

dudeofthestick thanks for the info. I'm actually testing your free tier, but I have to pay 2.16eur per month for a "public port". What is this?

The public IP. So the free tier is not really free.

• Oh, I see.

• @Nyr said:
    And not network related, but worth pointing out: using RAID 5 for virtualization nodes is borderline criminal and can provide a very good idea of the competence of whoever was in charge of that decision.

RAID 5 was used in our platform in Interxion Madrid. RAID 10 is in production in the current iteration; we don't have customers now in Interxion anymore. Keep in mind that RAID5 for SSD storage was commonplace when the cost per bit of SSD storage was "criminally" higher (like DO...) :-)

• @lmerino said:
    dudeofthestick thanks for the info. I'm actually testing your free tier, but I have to pay 2.16eur per month for a "public port". What is this?

You can have public or private IP attached to your network interfaces. If you attach a public IP there is an hourly fee. If you prefer to use a private IP, you can create a private a network for free (first network only) and attach as many servers as needed at no cost. The servers will have access to internet through the gateway of the network. If you want to publish some of these servers in the public network, then you will have to attach a 'floating' public IP. Hope this clarifies the point.

@dudeofthestick said:

Keep in mind that RAID5 for SSD storage was commonplace when the cost per bit of SSD storage was "criminally" higher (like DO...) :-)

Now that you mention DigitalOcean... they lost full nodes due to RAID 5 and paid $500 to each customer in compensation. Not the best example.

• @Nyr said:
    Now that you mention DigitalOcean... they lost full nodes due to RAID 5 and paid $500 to each customer in compensation. Not the best example.

Every single provider in the world has lost nodes, no matter what RAID level they have... DO bet on RAID5 until prices went down (server and ssd combo) and could move to a better option... just like every single provider around. As a rule of thumb, choosing RAID5 was a trade off in the hosting industry since the early days: a necessary evil.

There are a lot of customers that fully reject local storage, and that's why we also support remote storage on storage chassis. More traditional shops still want the 'VMware' style management of their infrastructure. Cutting edge companies following devops rules normally combine local and remote storage.