Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite VPS virtualization?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Favorite VPS virtualization?

Hi everyone,

I would like to hear your opinions of what is your favorite VPS virtualization and why.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• from provider's or user's point of view?

• OpenVZ. It's much better than KVM if you choose a good provider.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • Reliability? KVM
    Speed? KVM or OpenVZ
    Antiquated but stable? Xen
    Raw Speed that kicks PV's ass : OVZ

I see more of a containerization world coming about with Docker, CoreOS, etc.

People are starting to wake up and realize benchmarks matter, especially at scale. No need to virtualize the entire OS when it's very redundant.

• Kvm

• KVM. Strictly not touching OpenVZ.

• OpenVZ fan here!

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

OpenVZ & Xen. Not touching KVM anyway, system loss, speed loss.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Lots of people seem to be forgetting the "and why" bit here :)

Thanked by 2Kris Pwner
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

KVM - If it runs on bare metal, it runs on KVM

• Kris said: I see more of a containerization world coming about with Docker, CoreOS, etc. People are starting to wake up and realize benchmarks matter, especially at scale. No need to virtualize the entire OS when it's very redundant.

No, because security matters. How complicated is a hypervisor vs the Linux kernel? If we can't make a hypervisor that's actually secure (consider, for example, the recent Xen bug), how the heck is the whole Linux kernel going to be secure?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

If I need to run Windows then I'll pick VMware because it's what I know and trust.

If I don't need to run Windows then I pick OpenVZ hands down because of the performance, stability, and the ability to adjust resources without a reboot.

• I Think the best is VMWare ESXI, its powerfull, easy, full controlled and have full fuctions on managing Linux and Windows servers.

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    OpenVZ & Xen. Not touching KVM anyway, system loss, speed loss.

System loss and speed loss are only because of an incompetent person configuring the system... Like with most tools

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@classy said:

Not Really. Full Virtualization will always take resources to run. And People mostly dislike OpenVZ because of being Oversold Much but if you don't oversell, then OpenVZ has the best performance of all.

• OpenVZ and KVM.

• For low RAM nothing beats OpenVZ

• Thanks everyone for your input

• OpenVZ for fast deployment where it may be needed (really handy for testing a lot of things and doing a quick reinstall).

Generally KVM however due to full hardware virtualization. After that XenHVM which is about the same as KVM but if I could I'd use KVM over XenHVM.

My two cents.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Xen because reliable and advanced network features.

• VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

XEN :)

• im OpenVZ fan, its easy upgradeable for user's point of view like me.

and if still need more resource after upgrade it, i will migrate it dedi. :)

if its for client project, i will go with KVM

1. openvz
    2. kvm
  • NexHostNexHost Member
    edited November 2015

VMware or KVM is my choice

Don't like XEN due to the Kernel Support. can be slightly annoying. and a lot more frequent reboots then what is required on KVM.

VMware due to the high density it has. You can get more from the Hardware that you have. without effecting the stability. even limitations of the resources CPU/Memory/IO Just sucks that there is no rate limiting for the network. either 100Mbps or 1000Mbps Adapter.

KVM is rock solid. used it on several production nodes without any issues. It's easy to manage and uses the mainstream kernel. So you can get access to kernel updates with Kernelcare or kpslice. But my main choice would still be VMware.

• KVM