Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with OVH Failover IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help with OVH Failover IPs

KBVEKBVE Member

Need someone to help me rebuild my interfaces file and basically re-organize / restructure my dedicated's networking.

Dedicated is running proxmox under ubuntu on OVH's network.

I am actually adding 3-4 failover IPs and I just do not want to fall into an infinite network loop and crash my server.

I would probably request roughly 30 mins of your time, essentially guiding me through the process.

Comments

• you've corrupted interface files?

• Uh, 1 second let me make an image

Thanked by 1cassa
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2015

Assign each IP to it's own virtual server, spin up Minecraft on 25565 on each server. The port doesn't have to be unique if the IP that the service is bound to is already unique.

• are your vpses openvz or kvm or xen?

• KBVEKBVE Member
    edited November 2015

Here is how it looks right now

https://kbve.com/txt/interfaces.txt

• Wow, that's the biggest network/interfaces file I've ever seen :) What is the point of having so many bridges? I count 4.

It looks like you want to bring up all your failover IPs on the host, then NAT specific ports to VMs? Do you want to assign any of your IPs directly to any of the VMs?

I'd strongly recommend getting all the post-up/post-down lines out of that file - just use 1 to call an external script that does all your iptables. As it sounds like you've seen, a single typo in that file can prevent all your networking starting.

• "all your failover IPs on the host, then NAT specific ports to VMs" , pretty much the idea that we are going for.

We figured it out at one point but forgot how we did it lol

• what's the advantage? apart from being confusing :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@century1stop said:
    what's the advantage? apart from being confusing :)

Job security? You can't get fired if no one knows how to do your job and your job is vital ;)

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • @Jar said:
    Job security? You can't get fired if no one knows how to do your job and your job is vital ;)

hahahaha

• @Jar said:

Except I own the server and everything involved :/

• why don't you do it normal folks do? can't think of any advantage with your setup

• How would normal folk split 4 ovh failover ips between 13 VPS?

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited November 2015

@tehdan said:
    How would normal folk split 4 ovh failover ips between 13 VPS?
    he has 13 vps? now there's the advantage I was referring to, where's the 13?

• Once more, anyone want to help out?

Can we keep this thread... on the topic :S

• your failovers need to be routed to the node as instructed in their documentation

• You haven't told us why you have 4 bridges, you are not making it easy to assist you...

• KBVE said: Can we keep this thread... on the topic :S

Not possible on this forum, just a heads up on that.

• @doughmanes said:
    Not possible on this forum, just a heads up on that.

:( I know lol :>

I dont need 4 bridges, I am just a bit lost on how to handle this.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

http://hilfe.ovh.de/proxmox

you will fail because of missing proxyarp support of the bridge. The following line does the magic:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/vmbr0/proxy_arp

Add this to: /etc/pve/kvm-networking.sh to make sure, that everything works again after a reboot.

source: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/1467-KVM-networking-on-OVH

Thanked by 1KBVE
  • @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    http://hilfe.ovh.de/proxmox

you will fail because of missing proxyarp support of the bridge. The following line does the magic:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/vmbr0/proxy_arp

Add this to: /etc/pve/kvm-networking.sh to make sure, that everything works again after a reboot.

source: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/1467-KVM-networking-on-OVH

• It's commonly said that you need proxy_arp on OVH, I have it working fine without. You certainly don't need it in @KVBE's setup because he's not putting his FO IPs into a public bridge.

@KVBE - what you basically need to do is:

If you want to do it with NAT still, bring up your FO IPs on the appropriate interface of your host. With SYS this is eth0 (or the bridge eth0 is in). I think with some OVH servers it might be eth1.

Then alter all your iptables rules - for DNAT rules you need to specify -d X.X.X.X (where x.x.x.x is the fail over IP you want to use).

Then get rid of your generic -J MASQUERADE lines - you'll need to specify an SNAT for each VM like this:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 'Y.Y.Y.Y/32' -o vmbr0 -j SNAT --to X.X.X.X

where Y.Y.Y.Y is the internal network address of the VM in question,
    X.X.X.X is the public/FO IP that you want that particular VM to use. This is so that the VM sends traffic out with the same IP it arrives on.

This is not the ideal way to set it up, but its a minimal change to your current setup.