Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Node.js tutoring - €150 for 5 hours, €250 for 10 hours (limited availability) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Node.js tutoring - €150 for 5 hours, €250 for 10 hours (limited availability)

2»

Comments

• SQLite has its own limitation. A couple of days ago I tested to load around 50,000 articles 500 words in average, to a SQLite based CMS I made.

I export it in chunks, and after all are properly set, it took around 8 seconds to load a page. After tweaking, it only comes up to 5 seconds to load a page. The performance also drop when I integrate visitor count and IP logging as it needs too much writing to the database.

I am going to try to use the Pear Cache_Lite and see how it goes.

• rincewindrincewind Member
    edited November 2015

@vRozenSch00n : That looks way too slow. Something's not right. Try these pragmas :

• temp_store = MEMORY
    • page_size = 32768
    • cache_size = 32768
    • journal_mode = MEMORY

If you have only one process writing to the SQL, add locking_mode = EXCLUSIVE. Otherwise use transactions for all your writes - you could be wasting time acquiring and releasing locks. Tweaking mmap_size might also help. Set those pragmas when you create the file for the first time, and again while opening it. Did you run ANALYZE and VACUUM after populating your DB?

EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN helps me a lot in figuring out how to optimize DB tables. For improving read speeds, index your tables appropriately and create views for common SQL queries. On the other hand, indexes can slow down write speeds. I use views for everything from JOINS to text processing. Here is an example

CREATE VIEW my_json_map AS SELECT '"' || id || '": ' || val || ',' FROM summary;

Use prepared statements for everything - you can cache your prepared statement even if it seems a little overkill..

EDIT: Experiment with the synchronous pragma if it fits your use case. Check the documentation before you proceed.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @joepie 's pricing is more than fair. When I did 1-on-1 training I charged more than double his rate. For @_rm and his village in Africa that is mad about price, maybe he should stop paying for his boxes too because cost is an insult the Sahara desert nomads - not to mention the North Korean population.

How to offer free trial without actually costing you time for each client - simple: Pick a small subject and make a 30 minute tutorial over it. Post it online and point your leads there. The prospective client will know if he likes your style or not and you won't have to waste time for each lead individually.

Good luck @joepie

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited November 2015

@ricardo said:
    Maybe list some compelling reasons why people would find nodeJS useful in their tool chest?

It is very easy for front-end guys to move to the back-end.

The real reason for NodeJs 's traction though is that is was the first environment geared exclusively towards async IO at the right time. Sure there were Python libraries and others but nothing came close in terms of dedication/goal/commitment.

As it got traction, it got a huge ecosystem which makes it an easier choice for its niche based on (say) Rust or Go. Plus with ES7 it's really awesome to write async code. It's like upgrading from a bicycle to a car on that area compared to ES5.

Example:

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

deadbeef said: How to offer free trial without actually costing you time for each client - simple: Pick a small subject and make a 30 minute tutorial over it. Post it online and point your leads there. The prospective client will know if he likes your style or not and you won't have to waste time for each lead individually.

I already kind of do that (and that particular article has been very well-received so far), but an article or tutorial is still very different from 1-on-1 tutoring. It only works to some degree.

deadbeef said: Plus with ES7 it's really awesome to write async code. It's like upgrading from a bicycle to a car on that area compared to ES5.

It's worth noting that there are some concerns over async/await that are worth considering. It is definitely a loss of flexibility in some ways, and I'm not yet convinced that they should exist in JS, at least in their current form.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2015

It is very easy for front-end guys to move to the back-end.

huge ecosystem

Good reasons.

Still not sure on the non-blocking/asynchronicity thing. Is this w.r.t. to it being a webserver? Anything that O_NONBLOCK & O_ASYNC can't cater to?

I guess it just boils down to less complexity = more productivity, for many cases.

edited November 2015

@joepie91 said:
    I already kind of do that (and that particular article has been very well-received so far), but an article or tutorial is still very different from 1-on-1 tutoring. It only works to some degree.

I meant video.

It's worth noting that there are some concerns over async/await that are worth considering. It is definitely a loss of flexibility in some ways, and I'm not yet convinced that they should exist in JS in the way they are defined now.

I took a quick look at the article's points. It sounds more than bitching than anything concrete. Some edge cases don't fit your (his) style? Great, use promises/generators directly on those. The elegance of the async/await style is fantastic. It would be like throwing away a Veyron because you're having issues using it on your corn field. Instead, the sane solution is to use a tractor when a tractor is best suited.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

deadbeef said: I meant video.

That'd be a bad idea for the same reason I don't normally do audio/video calls for tutoring. Text is just the most effective and accurate way to get technical information across.

deadbeef said: I took a quick look at the article's point. It sounds more than bitching than anything concrete. Some edge cases don't fit your (his) style? Great, use promises/generators directly on those. The elegance of the async/await style is fantastic. It would be like throwing away a Veyron because you're having issues using it on your corn field. Instead, the sane solution is to use a tractor when a tractor is best suited.

I recommend reading it entirely. It's a fairly in-depth and technical article.

ricardo said: Still not sure on the non-blocking/asynchronicity thing. Is this w.r.t. to it being a webserver? Anything that O_NONBLOCK & O_ASYNC can't cater to?

All I/O in Node.js is asynchronous. Filesystem reads, network connections (whether to a HTTP client or a database server), and so on.

I guess it just boils down to less complexity = more productivity, for many cases.

That's pretty much the selling point, yes :) It's not that it isn't possible in other languages, it's just far more of a headache.

Thanked by 2ricardo vRozenSch00n
    edited November 2015

@ricardo said:

Exactly. And less monitors thrown at the wall when you spend hours to discover a subtle bug in your threaded code.

Thanked by 2ricardo joepie91
  • @joepie91 said:
    I recommend reading it entirely. It's a fairly in-depth and technical article.

I did read it :) I just didn't do it the slow way - instead I read his points but glossed over the code examples. But thanks for the link, I had not bumped into that article before.

edited November 2015

@joepie91 said:
    I don't normally do audio/video calls for tutoring.

Oh, wow, I hadn't realized that.

• vRozenSch00n said: SQLite has its own limitation. A couple of days ago I tested to load around 50,000 articles 500 words in average, to a SQLite based CMS I made.

Or the CMS you wrote is not efficient.

• jcaleb said: Or the CMS you wrote is not efficient.

Apparently yes :) after tweaking several things as per @rincewind suggestion, strip down the coding, I found out that I made a boo boo in the database calling procedure.

Too many unnecessary iterations :p, and I think I have to change the database structure.

I guess I have to rewrite the code :)

• vRozenSch00n said: change the database structure

If you are dealing with text documents, look at the [Full Text Search (FTS)
    (https://www.sqlite.org/fts3.html) extension. It provides MATCH which is way faster than a LIKE, but restricted - it only matches tokens/words.

I assume you are storing documents as table columns. If you store them compressed, you can still use FTS4. For a memory constrained LEB, you can skip compression and use FTS5 instead. FTS5 allows stemming tokens (MATCH 'correction' will also match 'corrected' and 'correcting').

It seems unlikely for your case, but if you have tall and thin tables with non-integer keys, then try the WITHOUT ROWID optimization, described here

• jhjh Member

No comment about the offer itself but I was recently told that I couldn't post a much cheaper offer for something slightly related because the price, despite being dirt cheap for what it is, would raise eyebrows.

• Thanks @rincewind. Yes I'm dealing with text documents. Sorry I'm a little bit busy and have to go now, I'll let you know the result then.

• @vRozenSch00n: Take it easy! You dont need to explain, or respond :)

For logging, I would suggest RRDTool, or HDF5 for more complex needs. SQLite is not meant for frequent writes, but will give you good read-performance.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Well, actually I like to discuss things like this and I appreciate every suggestion and ideas. I love to try things so, I guess we'll always be in touch :)