Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Req: Cheap 'unmetered' VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Req: Cheap 'unmetered' VPS

SkyriderSkyrider Member
edited November 2015 in Requests

I've been thinking. (And I'm not sure if it is allowed), but if I would buy a 'low-end' VPS at a decent amount between 40- to 50 dollars, and combine it with a cheap 'unmetered' VPS, I would have an increased bandwidth to use in total depening how I set up the entire VPS's to work together. I don't think it would break any rules as the files has something to do with the site in general, and its not file hosting either, at least.. not in the general sense of file hosting.

I know unmetered is not exactly unlimited, but I assume it would be a large number nontheless. If you'd be so kind how much 'unmetered' exactly is, I'd appreciate that as well. The link should be either 100Mbit or 1000Mbit.

Either way. I attempted to look for a fairly cheap unmetered VPS. (between 1 to 10?$) on a yearly base. The ones I found thus far are expired.

Comments

• iRepkoiRepko Member
    edited November 2015

$1-$10? Yearly? For a unmetered VPS? Anyway I can offer 100Mbits, you can just PM me for more details.

• @iRepko said:
    $1-$10? Yearly? For a unmetered VPS? Anyway I can offer 100Mbits, you can just PM me for more details.

Indeed, but I assume it would be on low RAM and low on HDD space.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

Well to answer your question on "how much unmetered actually is" let's quickly do the math for what performance you should expect if you're paying $10 a year, which is your maximum budget.

Let's say it's 1Gbps unmetered and the host has 1Gbps "unmetered" with the datacenter, which usually means the DC is overselling to the host as well unless it's dedicated and double the cost. Let's assume IP addresses are free. To do a decent E5 node it would be $200 per month, or $2400 a year. So the host would have to sell about 240 of your annual plans to break even. We could redo the math with an E3: $100 or so per month, $1200 per year, 120 plans, shared with 120 people. You would be sharing your 1Gbps unmetered with (1) other dedicated servers that have the "unmetered" and (2) with 120-240 people.

Best case scenario, if you average it all out, at the price you're paying, for the provider to break even you would have about 1.3TB monthly bandwidth. So of course there could be users who use less and you can be on the "high end" of usage so probably a few terabytes you could milk out of it every month that would be physically possible.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • iRepkoiRepko Member
    edited November 2015

@Skyrider said:
    Indeed, but I assume it would be on low RAM and low on HDD space.

Yeah that's not feasible at all. Unless you oversell like crazy