Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

European ssd(cached) LEB (similar to Ramnode and Buyvm) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

European ssd(cached) LEB (similar to Ramnode and Buyvm)

2»

Comments

• Now that we all agree that Prometeus is a great choice, please kindly allow me to derail this thread with a question: From your experience with real life sites and not just benchmarks - How big is the difference in performance between pure SSD and SSD cached drives?

• tsantentsanten Member
    edited December 2012

@Dylan said: do you think there'd be any noticeable performance difference between SSD and SSD-Cached?

@Nick_A Nope, about the only time a performance difference even comes up is during a benchmark :) You can always switch between our two OpenVZ options quickly (and typically without a reboot) if you find you need one over the other.

If the provider do his job and you ask yourself this question go with cached ssd

• Thanks for the quotes, @tsanten!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

SSD cached is not exactly the real thing, but works great if you have a lot of space needs and only part of the data is really hot, i.e. constantly read/written to.
    OTOH not everyone enables write cache too because a big raid will do write pretty good if a lot of IOPS are saved by the SSD cache and it is not worth the complicated setup and/or the risk.
    Since 5/1 is the ratio between reads and writes, it doesnt make much of a difference anyway. At times might be even better to write directly to the raid.

• A question to the cached SSD providers: There must surely be something like a TTL for files cached on the SSD. How long is that mostly?

• @Nick_A said: No, I mean like east coast USA is close enough for most EU clients. I should not have said UK specifically.

Very true - RamNode's transatlantic network is excellent, one of the best available at this price range. Pings in the range of 90~110ms.

• Prometeus might be nice folks and run a good shop, but there must be others worth considering.

It concerns me to see such concentration of folks on one provider. In case of failure, mighty miserable it will be.

Remember to spread the love around and support other small businesses :)

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited December 2012

ColorHost.de (globalSwitch datacenter, Frankfurt) has low end Xen VPS with SSD swap: 128MB ram/128MB ssd swap/2.99 euros, 256mb ram/256mb ssd swap/3.99 euros

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited December 2012

@pubcrawler said: Prometeus might be nice folks and run a good shop, but there must be others worth considering.

It concerns me to see such concentration of folks on one provider. In case of failure, mighty miserable it will be.
    Remember to spread the love around and support other small businesses :)

This is the main reason I don't recommend prometeus. With their excellent service and very good price, you will end up putting all your eggs into one basket =) And you will also end up buying more service from them than what you need.

But, what the heck, uncle is really great!

Edit: M is great too, he gives many tutorials and good advices =)

edited December 2012

@pubcrawler said: It concerns me to see such concentration of folks on one provider

That is just joke I presume... :)
    BuyVM, Urpad, chicagovps have probably an order of magnitude more vps than us, dont be fooled by votes and the like, on wht probably 1% of ppl heard about prometeus :P
    Our exposure to the LE market is very small...
    While nowhere near swamped, it is true we are out of stock on many items and on others the stock is only from ppl forgetting to pay/not needing anymore.
    Prometeus is much smaller than others, growing at an organic pace is what we try to do, no worry we will be swamped, worst that can happen is to be out of stock :D

• Yeah, spread the love. The world will end today.
    I suggest fusioned.net
    My first ssd vps is with George and i am very impressed with the speed. The support is also awesome. His offer is still active
    www.lowendbox.com/blog/fusioned-3-50month-256mb-kvm-vps-in-netherlands/

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler said: Remember to spread the love around and support other small businesses

You're right! Now stop chatting around and buy some services from us! ;-)

• :) @prometeus @Maounique,

You folks are one of the few majorly repeated names on here that I haven't done business with yet. Probably will give you a try in the new year when a plan catches my eye.

To repeat my earlier comment in part, it's healthy to support good providers, but when recommendations are asked for the echo in the room of the unified drum beat tend to be a bit much. That applies to all the common names on here.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2012

@pubcrawler: Go ahead! Their VZSSD7 VPS is the best one I ever had (and I had many of them with other providers).

edited December 2012

@pubcrawler said: Probably will give you a try in the new year when a plan catches my eye.

I hope to have you onboard with regular vps or with the IaaS cloud we are working at (due to my personal problems it will be ready next month) ;-)

@pubcrawler said: That applies to all the common names on here.

Well, this is a small community, while many people go to LEB and take deals from there, not many are regulars here so "major" names are those of a few regulars that everyone has tried, more or less :)
    We have people with 10 or more VPSes here and very often we run out of nodes to move them around so they dont have more than one on a node.
    When one node is showing weaknesses and have to move some containers (only ovz had problems so far) we get at least a couple of ppl yelling that they have again 2 VPSes on the same node...
    This and and many other request for the ultimate reliability made us think to build a serious cloud where to sell IaaS with redundancy, virtual offices, private networks and whatnot, but it will be a lot of work and a big investment since uncle believes supermicro's built to order and 30 k storage arrays are not good enough...
    I am not sure will be ready next month, he is optimistic :)

• @Maounique,

New cloud you are describing sounds interesting so long as it works like the traditional VMs/VPS containers we are all familiar with.

I'd like to see other offers from you folks that included some "real" disk space. Spinning disk is totally fine. That's one of the reasons I've stayed away. Cost of storage on SSD buys less of a VPS.

@pubcrawler said: some "real" disk space

how much is real, considering that my spinning disks are SAS/SAS2?

The IaaS is thinked for the corporate usage, main storage will be a fiber channel san and I hope to be able to offer a second layer of storage a bit less expensive based on the Coraid srx. For some nodes to be sold without HA I'm thinking to use the local SAS storage also. The investment is huge in every case :-)

@pubcrawler said: New cloud you are describing sounds interesting so long as it works like the traditional VMs/VPS containers we are all familiar with.

If you are expecting Solus/whmcs, then you will be disappointed... Even cloudmin I used for the storage plans is not up to the task. Will probably be some open stack or cloud stack with hostbill.

@pubcrawler said: I'd like to see other offers from you folks that included some "real" disk space. Spinning disk is totally fine. That's one of the reasons I've stayed away. Cost of storage on SSD buys less of a VPS.

We are running a promo for our KVM right now and that is classical with spinning disks, probably one of the last.

• Real disk space @prometeus is 10GB and above. Typically I do 20GB and above on disk. Yeah, we can run on less, but means offloading data more to other remotes and blowing up the bandwidth.

@Maounique, do you have a link for the KVM promo?

edited December 2012

@pubcrawler said: @Maounique, do you have a link for the KVM promo?

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=13
    15% off with KVM15DIC coupon. Recurring.

@pubcrawler said: Yeah, we can run on less, but means offloading data more to other remotes and blowing up the bandwidth.

We have offloading data plans (mountable with Xen virtualization) at 2-3 cents a GB.
    And at prometeus we give traffic in TB most of the time, so no worry.
    We do know our storage is not big, however, what I could do is already done, our "shared" storage is actually dedicated and very expensive as Uncle likes it :)

• Plans just didn't mesh with typical needs. They are fine though. Well once I jump over the money translation differences :)

Opted for the 384MB RAM OpenVZ plan on a quarterly commit. To test and see.

Is there a way @Maounique to connect that to a storage plan? You are still offering storage plans, right? Thought I recalled that maybe only IPV6?

edited December 2012

@pubcrawler said: Is there a way @Maounique to connect that to a storage plan? You are still offering storage plans, right? Thought I recalled that maybe only IPV6?

Sure, you can get a storage plan (50/100/200 GB) and install something to export the space in a way OVZ can understand.
    Since those are Xen, anything from iSCSI to CIFS works on the storage plans, however, must be working on OVZ too, because you got an OVZ plan.
    The IPv6 wont have any effect because all our plans come with IPv6.

• Wanted to give a thumbs up to Prometeus :)

Still doing setup on a small VPS there, but so far it's good and fast.

Have to love the Italian Debian mirror, 17.8MB/s downloads (mi.mirror.garr.it)

Will be placing this node in production ideally this week. Rare as we sit on nodes typically, but this works how it should and fast :) Good ping and routes throughout Europe.

Reminds me of Ramnode in the States.

It has good ping and routes to middle-east and south asia too given the distance.
    A lot of customers from India/Israel/Emirates and even Philipines, Malaysia, Indonesia not to mention the Chinese.
    Quite a few australians too, even tho it is a mixed experience there, it depends on provider and their routes.

• Yes :)
    Even better than some US provider

• Prometeus are very good. Our company is impressed.