Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PuTTY update 0.66
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PuTTY update 0.66

varwwwvarwww Member
edited November 2015 in General

PuTTY got updated. There is no update notification feature in this widely used software. :(

Download Link: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Changelog: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/changes.html

These features are new in beta 0.66 (released 2015-11-07):

Security fix: an escape sequence which used to make PuTTY's terminal code read and potentially write the wrong memory is fixed. See vuln-ech-overflow.
Bug fix: better Unicode handling in Windows PuTTY keyboard messages, so it should now work better with WinCompose.
Bug fix: jump lists on Windows 10 should now work.
There's now a set of command-line options to enable session logging.
&P in the log file name now substitutes in the port number from the configuration. 

Comments

• PuTTy does have an announce mailing list.

If you want a more modern SSH client, try Bitvise Tunnelier. It's free for personal use.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

@rincewind said:
    PuTTy does have an announce mailing list.

If you want a more modern SSH client, try Bitvise Tunnelier. It's free for personal use.

Can you integrate it with WinSCP? If not I can't use it.

KISS....PuTTy integrated with WinSCP still does everything I need the way I need it. Actually I use KiTTY which adds a few more bells and whistles I never use.

• sman said: Can you integrate it with WinSCP? If not I can't use it.

It's also an SFTP/FTP client, so does not need WinSCP separately. I like that it has an option to automatically reconnect - useful while running tunnels over a patchy network. The package includes some scriptable CLI tools, though I have never used them.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

@rincewind said:
    It's also an SFTP/FTP client, so does not need WinSCP separately. I like that it has an option to automatically reconnect - useful while running tunnels over a patchy network. The package includes some scriptable CLI tools, though I have never used them.

I see the SFTP part but it's designed like a traditional FTP client which seems really primitive to me. WinSCP is actually a windows like graphical file browser which is something I use all the time. Press the console button and a PuTTy window pops up reusing the existing authentication. Couldn't live without it really. Only thing missing is multitab on the putty instead of just on the WinSCP. I know there is multitab putty type things but no way to integrate it nicely with winscp.

• @sman said:
    I see the SFTP part but it's designed like a traditional FTP client which seems really primitive to me. WinSCP is actually a windows like graphical file browser which is something I use all the time. Press the console button and a PuTTy window pops up reusing the existing authentication. Couldn't live without it really. Only thing missing is multitab on the putty instead of just on the WinSCP. I know there is multitab putty type things but no way to integrate it nicely with winscp.

Basement.

• Basement cat

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Funny story: this new version was picked up as a virus by Avira but it was a false positive and they fixed it with a new virus definition update xD.

• @Nekki said:
    Basement.

Leave him alone :D

• Xshell always..

• +1 for Xshell!

• Thanks for the notice!

• Thank you. Did an update 0.65 -> 0.66.

• I use Moba X Term free edition. It's great :)

• @varwww said:
    New version: v0.68

thanks for notifying here :)

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Ympker said: I use Moba X Term free edition. It's great :)

Totally agree. MXT is fantastic tool, specially when you need to quickly operate between multiple SSH / FTP sessions at once.

• Xshell

Thanked by 1DigitalFyre
  • saf31saf31 Member
    edited February 2017

Thank you for the post.
    Most of the software that I use on a regular basis (like firefox, vlc, putty, libre office, filezilla, keepass etc. ) are available under http://portableapps.com/ platform. The best thing about this thing is all the apps are updated by the platform itself so it makes life lot easier.

• I ended up being forced to use mosh since apparently SSH hates me and so does data :P

• So noone uses cygwin with pageant key integration so you can ssh/scp from the command prompt?

• I use cygwin in my windows machine but terminal on both Mac and Linux machines

• Ive been using RoyalTS for a while. Absolutely beautiful piece of software and does everything I need.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • For Windows 10, there is now Bash on Ubuntu for Windows which comes with a real version of OpenSSH. (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about)

MobaXterm is awesome, and Xshell was really nice when I used it years ago.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MagicalTrain said: Ive been using RoyalTS for a while. Absolutely beautiful piece of software and does everything I need.

I think you were the one who mentioned RoyalTS the last time this topic came around.

OSX Sierra has some kind of bug with Terminal (of all apps) that crashes it hard periodically - happened to me a dozen times before I got tired of it and tried RoyalTS.

Really nice piece of software. It's a little quirky - saving your "document", and tasks/credentials/etc. is a little complicated - but after a few minutes playing with it, I find I really like it. Bought a license and now use it as my standard terminal.

Thanked by 1MagicalTrain
  • @raindog308 said:

MagicalTrain said: Ive been using RoyalTS for a while. Absolutely beautiful piece of software and does everything I need.

I think you were the one who mentioned RoyalTS the last time this topic came around.

I loved GLTerm back in the day- it was one of the few terminals that wouldn't make your G4's fan go bezerk when there was a flood of data.

• Myself I prefer PuTTYTray
    https://puttytray.goeswhere.com/

• +1 for mobaxterm

it does it all pretty much!