Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RAID10 HDD vs SSD vs SSD Cached vs SAS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RAID10 HDD vs SSD vs SSD Cached vs SAS

darknessendsdarknessends Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hi guys,

Can u arrange RAID10 HDD, SSD, SSD Cached and SAS in following ways.
1. According to what VM you would want to quickly buy. ( For buyers )
2. According to what is most good in performance and quality wise ( For providers )

Thanks for those who are participating in.

Comments

• Performance: SSD > SAS 10/15K > SSD Cached > SATA

• Define performance. Linear read / write speed, or random or what?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Why?

• @darknessends said: 1. According to what VM you would want to quickly buy. ( For buyers )

Cheapest, then more expensive.

@darknessends said: 2. According to what is most good in performance and quality wise ( For providers )

Performance != quality.

Performance: SSD > SAS 10/15K > SSD Cached > SATA
    Quality: 15k SAS > 10k SAS > 7.2k enterprise SATA > 7.2k desktop SATA > SSD

• @Damian said: Damian 11:28PM Flag

@darknessends said: 1. According to what VM you would want to quickly buy. ( For buyers )

Cheapest, then more expensive.

@darknessends said: 2. According to what is most good in performance and quality wise ( For providers )

Performance != quality.

Performance: SSD > SAS 10/15K > SSD Cached > SATA

Quality: 15k SAS > 10k SAS > 7.2k enterprise SATA > 7.2k desktop SATA > SSD

So we can say 15k SAS is good combination of performance + quality.
    That is the best one.

• @darknessends said: So we can say 15k SAS is good combination of performance + quality.

That is the best one.

I guess. I'm not really sure that the massive premium price over standard SATA with a good controller is worth it.

• How is SSD lowest on "quality" @Damian :) ? Is that purely from the provider perspective based on cost per terabyte?

• @pubcrawler said: How is SSD lowest on "quality" @Damian :) ? Is that purely from the provider perspective based on cost per terabyte?

No, it's purely based that, so far, every SSD I've had has crapped out in less than a year or two. Perhaps i'm inherently unlucky?

• @Damian said: No, it's purely based that, so far, every SSD I've had has crapped out in less than a year or two.

Wasn't some SSD provider on here saying the replacement time was much faster on SSD than he anticipated?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm of the opinion that SSD cached SATA is the best bang for buck, while SATA drives with a good controller is just fine most of the time.

• Tried the Samsung 830/840 @Damian?

• @pubcrawler said: Tried the Samsung 830/840 @Damian?

I have a couple of 830's in place now, but it's only been a few months. Hopefully they will win me over on SSD storage.

• Lots of folks swear by the Samsungs. Have yet for any of our SSDs to go bad.

Have Supertalent and Samsung only so far.