Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the next thing? What are you expecting from the VPS market?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the next thing? What are you expecting from the VPS market?

gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Hi guys,

I was wondering, what do you expect from the VPS market in the next few months/years?

Let's discuss!

P.S: I limit the number of question on the poll, but do not hesitate to share your opinion about the subject.

Regards, David

Future of the VPS market...
  1. Hosting technology/panel ?99 votes
    1. SolusVM/Virtualizor with OVZ, KVM, XEN
      43.43%
    2. OpenStack
      26.26%
    3. LXC, Docker
      17.17%
    4. Other
      13.13%
  2. Hourly billing?99 votes
    1. Yes
      73.74%
    2. No
      26.26%
  3. Resources bundles?99 votes
    1. Yes
      47.47%
    2. No
      21.21%
    3. In conjunction with normal VPS offers
      31.31%
  4. DDoS Protection?99 votes
    1. Yes
      75.76%
    2. No
        6.06%
    3. Nullroute is okay with me
      18.18%
  5. SSD offers?99 votes
    1. Yes
      67.68%
    2. No
        6.06%
    3. I prefer HDD + SSD Caching
      26.26%
  6. More offer with...99 votes
    1. KVM
      68.69%
    2. OpenVZ
        9.09%
    3. XEN
        5.05%
    4. VMware / XenServer
        9.09%
    5. Other
        8.08%

Comments

• cheaper

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Lots of Deadpools..

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GreenValueHost 5.0

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I'd like to see more VMWare/XenServer offers if I'm truly honest.

• Creative market research David.

davidgestiondbi said: Regards, David

That Nguyen guy will make it one day to Hollywood.

raindog308 said: GreenValueHost 5.0

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • I thought we were past GVH 5.0 and up to around 8.0

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I expect nothing, not anymore :P

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

drama

Thanked by 3yomero jar deadbeef
  • Free pocket lamps.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

@Amitz said:
    Free pocket lamps.

In the past, some customers received USB key, Pen, Mouse Pad, other goodies :P
    However, never get any feedback or comeback at all, so we didn't re-do the experiment. :(

• davidgestiondbi said: In the past, some customers received USB key, Pen, Mouse Pad, other goodies :P

However, never get any feedback or comeback at all, so we didn't re-do the experiment. :(

Even though that is very nice of you - The mistake is obvious: No pocket lamps in your list. ;-)

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@Amitz

I agree. My biggest error! Shame on me :(

• @raindog308 said:
    GreenValueHost 5.0

actually it was nygyenwebservices 1.0

• Needs a shorter name,

• In future I hope with the $1 a year vps I buy from the host, the host will be more thankful and send a few ounces of 24k gold bars to me as well as the usual 24/7 support even if there is a nuclear war going on, and also to support/install things that take hours. oh and free cpanel with the $1 year vps and ummm not sure what else.

Thanked by 12bb3
  • next thing I want is service like scaleway with paypal and more cheaper dedis

Thanked by 2deadbeef gestiondbi
  • The next big thing that there wont be a need for hosting companies, people will be able to even install web server on their phones.

Thanked by 1Caster
  • edited November 2015

Instances of power 8 at an affordable price and be able to run x86 apps (with it with free incoming bw )
    Leaves the pipe dream lol

• Four20 said: The next big thing that there wont be a need for hosting companies, people will be able to even install web server on their phones.

I did run Apache on a Nokia N800 (Maemo) and i'm pretty sure i had a webserver on a first generation iPhone also - that were times :)

• @William said:

Haha that's impressive!
    I assume you were bored that day.

• @doghouch said:
    actually it was nygyenwebservices 1.0

@lazyt said:
    Needs a shorter name,

"Scam"

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • davidgestiondbi said: I was wondering, what do you expect from the VPS market in the next few months/years?

Every VPS provider I have been with I switched from because the service stopped working properly.

From the VPS market in the next few years I expect someone to figure out how to deliver a product that actually works.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2015

I'm not expecting major market shifts over the next year or so. I think the market is going to coast for a good bit more as-is. Little changes will happen, nothing that's going to unseat any big players.

Maybe we'll see a little more of things like tutum or bitnami that add flavor to what already exists. We'll see a couple more cloud providers pop up.

Dedis will continue to surge in popularity around these parts, ARM will stay primarily OVH/scaleway, won't see any significant new players in it for a while (if really ever).

That's my boring predictions :)

• WHAT? I LOVE MY LITTLE DNS USB <3. I use it day to day haha I actually back my VMs up to it haha. And my pen is somewhere on my desk. Used it yesterday the only one that hasn't broke yet.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • More IPv6+Nat IPv4 offers.
    More kids pretending they are running multinationals.
    Prison time for anyone involved with GVH and co.
    A major security breach at one or more providers due to neglecting to patch a bug in virtualisation technology X.
    A mass shift away from virtualisation tech X to tech Y, until the same happens there.
    IP prices forcing up low end prices.
    Followed by IP prices forcing hosts out of business.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • tehdan said: IP prices forcing up low end prices. Followed by IP prices forcing hosts out of business.

That will be glorious times, we'll see :)