Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which PHP & Apache Version?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which PHP & Apache Version?

n1kkon1kko Member
edited November 2015 in Help

I see in WHM php 5.4.45 shows end of life should I upgrade to 5.5.30?

I 'm running Apache 2.2 PHP 5.4 MPM Prefork
Should that be changed to Apache 2.2 PHP 5.5 MPM Prefork or Apache 2.4 PHP 5.5 MPM Prefork?

Thanks

Comments

• If your sites are compatible, yes.

• Thanks

• for apache I would suggest Apache 2.4 event

• I'm going to run EasyApache in WHM with basic apache 2.4 & php 5.5. Will any of my sites break or will this cause any issues?

• camargcamarg Member
    edited November 2015

What sites do you host? Wordpress, joomla, droopal etc. ? Are all of your sites updated and latest version? If yes, you shouldn't have a problem upgrading.

edit: the plugins of your sites must be up to date as well

• I have some wordpress sites a few opencart and some scripts from codecanyon.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

Redhat/CentOS backport security updates. I would imagine Ubuntu does the same. So you do not need to worry about end of life security issues. PHP 5.4, Apache 2.4, MariaDB 5.5 running fine here and no intention of upgrading anytime soon.

• So would it be recommended to upgrade CentOS too?

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

@n1kko said:
    So would it be recommended to upgrade CentOS too?

The more I use systemd the more I like it. I have upgraded all my backend stuff and webservers to CentOS v7 now. Apache v2.4 seems to be a nice improvement. Same with MariaDB v5.5. Less memory usage with no tuning.

• @sman said:
    I am loving CentOS v7. The more I use systemd the more I like it. I have upgraded all my backend stuff and webservers to CentOS v7 now. Apache v2.4 seems to be a nice improvement. Same with MariaDB v5.5. Less memory usage with no tuning.

Is there a good tutorial for upgrading CentOS?

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

@n1kko said:
    Is there a good tutorial for upgrading CentOS?

If you mean using the upgrade script the answer is no. We re-installed everything from scratch. The upgrade script is apparently broken right now. Also if and when the upgrade script is production ready, you will only be able to upgrade from 64bit CentOS 6 unless they create a 32bit version of CentOS 7.

• So I would have to completely re-install my VPS from scratch then import sites back in fro an FTP backup or something?

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

@n1kko said:
    So I would have to completely re-install my VPS from scratch then import sites back in fro an FTP backup or something?

That is what we did. Websites should not be that hard. You can backup your MySQL 5.1+ database using mysqldump and then restore on MariaDB 5.5. Then you run "mysql_upgrade" and you are done.

There are some minor Apache differences between 2.2 and 2.4.
    https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html. So we had to make a few changes there.

Moving WHMCS to CE7 was a PiTA but that had more to do with all the changes they made in v6. First we had to move v5.3 to CE7 which was the easy part. Then after we verified everything was working the same as before we upgraded to v6. There were all kinds of little things that came up with that. This all needed to be done while WHMCS was live in production. Fun times.

• My VPS is with Linode so I could deploy a new VPS, set that up then migrate sites over, then close old VPS.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

We can swap IP's around so what we did was set up the CE7 VPS on a different IP. We restored backups and did as many checks as possible and when it was ready to go live we simply swapped the IP's. So the new server going live was instantaneous. No waiting 24-48hours+ for DNS propagation.

Try do that on Docker!

• Sound pretty straight forward. I've just spoken to Linode support to clear things up, I can spin up a new VPS & swap IP's between each server from my dashboard which I never knew, very handy so should be no down time like you say! Looking forward to rolling out new updated VPS over the weekend now.

• @n1kko

Watch out which PHP version you use. You are using Wordpress and et cetera. PHP 5.4 is EOL but of course there are people like AtomicCorp who maintain PHP 5.4 with security patches. But here it comes. There will be a time when suddenly Wordpress and et cetera will not work on PHP 5.4 anymore because they were updated to PHP 5.5 or above (if at that time 5.5 is not EOL XD).

So keep that in mind ;) .

Thanked by 1n1kko
  • I'll be using PHP 5.5.30 with apache 2.4 as I have a few Wordpress site.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

@Hidden_Refuge said:
    n1kko

Watch out which PHP version you use. You are using Wordpress and et cetera. PHP 5.4 is EOL but of course there are people like AtomicCorp who maintain PHP 5.4 with security patches. But here it comes. There will be a time when suddenly Wordpress and et cetera will not work on PHP 5.4 anymore because they were updated to PHP 5.5 or above (if at that time 5.5 is not EOL XD).

So keep that in mind ;) .

RHEL/CentOS v7 was just released and it uses PHP v5.4. CentOS v7 is supported for what? 5-7 years? So trust me, you should be just fine with PHP v5.4. If application developers want to alienate millions of people by making their software incompatible with that version that's on them.

• @sman said:
    RHEL/CentOS v7 was just released and it uses PHP v5.4. CentOS v7 is supported for what? 5-7 years? So trust me, you should be just fine with PHP v5.4. If application developers want to alienate millions of people by making their software incompatible with that version that's on them.

The release of CentOS 7 was quite a while ago but of course it has support for the next years.

I am just saying that people should be prepared for such moves that I mentioned. Because the time will come when it will happen and as people use very popular software they will have to deal with it.

Decisions of developers are obviously a different subject that we should discuss he to avoid derailing this thread.