Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any low-end KVM in eastern US - full-featured, with IPv6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any low-end KVM in eastern US - full-featured, with IPv6?

Shot2Shot2 Member
edited November 2015 in Requests

Hi :)

On the lookout for a low-spec KVM VPS in the eastern US, with the following (minimal) requirements:

• KVM

• 1 core / 256 MB ram / 3 to 5 GB hdd or ssd

• 50+ Mbps port / 50+ GB monthly bw

• 1x IPv4 (one only)

• native, functional IPv6 (= at least /64)

• full control over reverse DNS

• TUN enabled

Preferences: eastern US (NY, NJ, GA, NC, TX...) or eastern Canada (ON) but no OVH/BHS, from a well-known VPS provider.
Would go for a yearly plan; max budget about US$24/yr, but open to debate if truly valuable offer.
Intended use: nothing fishy or excessive! primarily for low-volume slave DNS, NTP, private PeerVPN relay.

The availability of test IPv4/IPv6 (looking glass) is important, so that I can probe IPv4/IPv6 latencies - and their difference if any - towards W Europe.

Already checked and dismissed: Deepnet (cause: no rDNS), Virmach & HVHost (cause: no true IPv6), and anything Central / W Coast (ugly latencies).

edit: I hate markdown, markdown hates me.

Comments

• Ramnode?

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited November 2015

@Jonchun said:
    Ramnode?

A bit too pricey, but I agree their NY location smells quite good... :)

• Shot2 said: US$24/yr

Given the shortage of IPv4, I really don't think $2/month is going to be sustainable long term.

• Depends on the company, how they get their IPs allocated, and what their business model is...

/oh noes not this topic again

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited November 2015

@Shot2 said:
    Depends on the company, how they get their IPs allocated, and what their business model is...

/oh noes not this topic again

Well it's true. You said you're looking for something not "fishy". Maybe not RIGHT THIS SECOND, but within the next couple months $2/mo offers with dedicated IPv4 is going to start being "fishy"

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited November 2015

Might be too costly for you, but I can do 256mb KVM with 10GB hdd and 500gb traffic with /64 IPv6 and 1 IPv4 rDNS from WHMCS for the /64 and have a 30% off coupon bringing it to $4.20/mo

EDIT: Oh, it is in Charlotte (Caronet) so NC

Thanked by 1teknolaiz
  • https://vrtz.net/vps/kvm/US/los-angeles/72.html

Virtualization Technology   KVM
    Location     Los Angeles, United States
    Datacenter  QuadraNet
    Host    GestionDBI
    RAM 256 MB
    Disk Space  10 GB
    Disk Type   HDD
    Bandwidth    250 GB
    Port    1Gbps
    IPv4    2
    IPv6    ∞

$2.5/month

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited November 2015

Yep... Unfortunately for GestionDBI (great offers & support!), LAX + no rDNS + superfluous IPv4 (which might be bad omen if they start giving them away like candies). Even if cheaper ($25/yr) and with great connectivity, their ATL plan suffers the same issues.

• Just curious, why do you need a whole /64 on a VPS?

• Yep, I might have put /56 as a requirement, but have no plan on using the VPS as a VPN server. (And I know of only one provider to offer such a prefix with their VPS, they're in Beautiful Russia.)

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

We have rDNS. However, our DNS servers are not linked to SolusVM, so you need to submit a ticket to request the change.

For IP, only our KVM offers get 2 dedicated IP by default.

Regards, David

• I know, that's why none of your plans fit :|

• bersybersy Member
    edited November 2015

If Atlanta is OK, take a look at RAMHost, their 50% off ATLANTA2015 is still valid, so it's $30/year. They were going to add ability to edit rDNS in CP if I recall right.

INIZ used to have $20/year KVM VPS with /64 IPv6 and rDNS via CP in NY, check them.

@Jade_G may want to offer you a tiny KVM VPS in Jacksonville.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • Thank you for the pointers. RamHost has seemingly great feats/staff/prices, alas! they don't provide true ipv6 (+ 30% lost packets to atl, anyway). Iniz is out of stock. NodeServ's ipv6 is broken atm, will check later.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@Shot2 said:
    I know, that's why none of your plans fit :|

You will really change your rDNS many time a day?

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited November 2015

Some days, yes, if that's not illegal in the country (or contrary to ToS/AUP).
    I might probably code some ugly script to automate the sending of silly 'justification' tickets, as needs for ptr come and go; let's hope I make no typo in that 'for' loop, we're talking trillions of potential addresses. :)
    Anyway, I'd rather spend extra monthly money on helping Greenpeace save the Canadian Arctic, or on a routed ipv6 subnet, rather than some useless ipv4 which is a source of nuisance, and a scarce resource not to be wasted unduly.
    Thanks again David, wish you all the best :)

edit: spelling

• bump

• Perhaps LunaNode? I think they have OVH BTS (which I know you don't want), but they also have another location in CA. Perhaps it'll suit you. :)

Ask them nicely if they can add rdns to their API. Should be relatively easy to automate then :)

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited December 2015

@elgs said:
    a whole /64 on a VPS?

Think of a /64 as a single IPv4 IP

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6177#page-4