Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation of my raspberrypi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocation of my raspberrypi

Raspberry Pi Model B
Connectivity: at least 50-100mbps
Ips: 1
Power: I dont even know

Anyone willing to sit this bad boy on your rack :D

Comments

• Just FYI i doubt the Raspbery Pi can actually push 50/100Mbps of internet traffic.

• Banana pi, more power :D

• winterisnicewinterisnice Member
    edited November 2015

Hmm

• winterisnicewinterisnice Member
    edited November 2015

I was in talk with a few DC and they still wanna charge me $80 for colo.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

checkout https://www.mininodes.com
    though I did not try them myself

• @rds100 said:
    Just FYI i doubt the Raspbery Pi can actually push 50/100Mbps of internet traffic.

Depends what you're doing... Serving static files you'll approach 100Mbps easily, especially if smaller than RAM. Serving SSL encrypted data from a poorly-optimised SQL database with badly written PHP is another story...

• tehdan said: Depends what you're doing... Serving static files you'll approach 100Mbps easily

Only if you have no USB device attached - the ethernet port (which is a USB chip) and the 2 USB ports are on the same hub to a single 2.0 port on the SoC.

Other boards did this much better.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Yup, as with any computer you can set it up sub-optimally :). This is what I was driving at with 'if smaller than RAM' comment - its unlikely you'd have anything other than storage hanging off the USB for a colo'd Pi.

• I can do this for 45 euro a year, in the Netherlands though.

• tehdan said: its unlikely you'd have anything other than storage hanging off the USB for a colo'd Pi.

Yes, but a good USB stick is likely to do 400Mbps+ read, which will cause issues with the BW for the network port.

• @rds100 said:
    Just FYI i doubt the Raspbery Pi can actually push 50/100Mbps of internet traffic.

I agree here. I have a Raspberry Pi 1 B. I only had it connected to power and LAN + SD card with the OS. The SD is fast in terms of reading. 18 MB/s. I transfered a file locally and couldn't get more than 2 MB/s off the Raspberry Pi over LAN.

It is unfortunately very limited due to what @William explained and its limited processing power. The Raspberry Pi 2 might be much better at this. There are other solutions like the DROID thingy that actually has enough power to do 100 Mbit/s (it even has a GigEthernet).

• @hawkjohn7 said:
    Banana pi, more power :D

Banana Pi M2 can push up to 700 Mbps.

• Hidden_Refuge said: There are other solutions like the DROID thingy that actually has enough power to do 100 Mbit/s (it even has a GigEthernet).

My shopping list has this on it for Dec, due to SATA and GigE. 35EUR in DE/AT/EU.

http://www.bananapi.org/p/product.html

Still need one that does native PXE though, we want to do iSCSI for the storage on our central SAN - You can do that with small kernel/bootloader on SD/eMMC/whatever, but it's not native :) I would not want to do iSCSI on 100Mbit though.

Any other cheap boards with good features?

• @William said:
    Any other cheap boards with good features?

I meant the ODROID XU4 but it's not so cheap like RPi/Bananapi.

URL: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825

• @cassa said:
    I can do this for 45 euro a year, in the Netherlands though.

Mind to provide details? Only RPi or also Bananapi?

• Ill host it in the UK for you for £5 per month, 1 ip address, 1tb bandwidth.

• @TWo said:
    Mind to provide details? Only RPi or also Bananapi?

I think BananaPi, will contact a colleague about this. It will be colocated in Rotterdam, the Netherlands with an 1Gbit uplink and 500GB monthly bandwidth.

Thanked by 1TWo
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2015

@William if you want to do a NAS type setup the best one for it right now in the sub $50 range is the BananaPi with the A20 chipset. The A20 actually has a sata chipset that isn't USB bound, while if you choose for example one of the new OrangePi H3 SoC's they are attached to the USB chip. You can expect a max of 45M/sec write and ~100M/sec read though because the NIC has to be attached to a single core, the max throughput you will get on the NIC is 50M/sec anyways. If you are serious about setting up something like this, especially if you want to use a port multiplier or a port multiplier with raid, ping me on irc and I will give you some more details and resources you will want to review for tuning things.

There are some more expensive, yet slower Marvel chipset ARM boards out there that have the built on direct SATA chipset which can accomplish better speeds and are used in many comercial NAS units, however the cheapest you are going to get these types of boards if not ordered in bulk is something like $150. There is also the newer Cubieboards which have SATA on them which I understand perform a lot better, but these are easily more than $100 to get.

Edit: I see now you meant boot off a SAN, my apologies I read too quickly. Check this out for use with A20 (BananaPi): linux-sunxi.org/How_to_boot_the_A10_or_A20_over_the_network

Cheers!

• Picked up 2 of these for $15 USD ea. http://www.orangepi.com/orange-pi-pc-board.
    Only gripe is that you can't use the USB OTG port for power.

• Problem is with the H3 boards there is a lot of dev lacking, it isn't fully supported by mainline yet, so you are limited to the specific distributions that were put together on the older 3.x kernels. Not a huge issue but if you wanted to run mainline on it you would be disappointed.

While the H3 is a nice quad core SoC it doesn't have the same support and backing you see withe the RPi or the Allwinner chipsets (A10, A20, A13, etc). Eventually as the support does get better and drivers are produced it will be a nice thing to have with the additional processing power, but for now if your using it for anything other than a cheap media server with their specific distributions your gonna be a bit out of luck.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1bohdans
  • I run Debian on mine, does Ngninx, OpenVPN and DNS fine, so it suites my needs.
    Also buying 2 for less than the price of a Pi is nice.
    Still have a RPi2 for Openelec though, the odroid and orangepi both do not have the support for media that the Pi has.