Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your interest in KVM without Windows?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your interest in KVM without Windows?

DamianDamian Member
edited December 2012 in Providers

We're getting closer and closer to offering KVM (didn't I say this in August? Soon™) and ask: Do you have interest in KVM if you were not allowed to install/we did not provide Windows?

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

I certainly would :) I hate Windows VPS's, so I'm in!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yep.

Also considering KVM and Windows will be off the menu.

• KVM is useful to me with or without Windows. I like running full virtualization for some applications and I don't run Windows.

• Why is windows off the menu? Too many 'fakes'? Or are we just thinking resource usage?

• Fine by me. KVM is good for *BSD too

@eastnotch resource use as well as lack of SPLA, I guess I could get on to an SPLA program but honestly enough companies already run and support windows, do windows only nodes and do it well.

Windows is just not a focus.

• @AnthonySmith I see your point :)

Also if half the KVM hosts that offer windows got audited I suspect they may be in a spot of bother, not many people really do understand the licensing model with windows :)

• @Damian said: Soon™

Soon™ is a registered trademark by @Francisco, so he might have to sue you now :(

ontopic:
    I like KVM, windows is not a big issue as I dont need it much and Azure has a free plan too.

• KVM is always good. Bring it here.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@djvdorp said: Soon™ is a registered trademark

That would be ® then, not ™ ;)

• @joepie91

IIRC,
    (R) = company name
    (tm) = product name

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

(R) = company name
    (tm) = product name

Wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark#Symbols

• @joepie91

I rea that and am now sure of following:
    (tm) = when referring to a trademark that you don't own
    (R) = referring to your own trademark, notifying that it is one

• flyfly Member
    edited December 2012

what's windows?

(fuck yes)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

Well, that is a gray area.
    We do offer Windows separately, on a dedicated server with SPLA.
    Other than that, we don't offer windows on KVM with solus, never did, but offered in the past some ISOs to install and the user had to bring own key.
    KVM with linux, bsd, whatever, doesnt sell bad, is stable and has fewer abusers.
    Xen also supports BSD, even Xen-PV, but freebsd only out of the box IIRC. Of course, xen-hvm runs anything, almost.

• @eastonch said: Why is windows off the menu?

Common tickets:
    "I lost my Windows password"
    "I cannot access Remote Desktop"
    "My Remote Desktop I think is hacked"

• I love KVM, FreeBSD runs really nicely on it.

• We already do not allow Windows on our services. We have to process a few refunds for people that don't read Linux Only on the LEB deals but other than that we don't have any real issue.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Would you @Damian @AnthonySmith be willing to make it availble if one would bring their own license?

Reason I ask is that I'm more then happy with the service you provide me with and I would consider using you for that reason.

• Depends on the reason it's not being offered. If it's something like the company owner personally dislikes Windows and decided to be a dick about it, then I wouldn't buy KVM from them. If it's a valid reason though, then sure.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

@MikHo said: Would you @Damian @AnthonySmith be willing to make it availble if one would bring their own license?

Reason I ask is that I'm more then happy with the service you provide me with and I would consider using you for that reason.

How can we insure that the license is valid and/or the Windows licensing system hasn't been 'deactivated' or nulled or removed or whatever it's called?

Not being beaten mercilessly by Microsoft Police is a focus of ours, though I do know how wimpy their SPLA system is.

• Windows is a pain. Takes up a lot of space, too.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2012

Why would anyone want to run Windows on a server? [/troll-but-really]

Btw I ran a Windows-only game server under Wine, worked splendidly also because game servers don't require fancy 3D or anything of that sort.

• Of course we'd be interested.

Windows VPSs are too much hassle and too expensive.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

@rm_ said: Why would anyone want to run Windows on a server? [/troll-but-really]

I would imagine that no one actually runs it for server things, but for things like day-trading software and such.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Damian
    I can only speak for myself if the license is valid or not, I only use valid licenses because the company I work for pays for them and I personally think its to big of a hassle to do pirate stuff.

I do understand and accept your opinion.
    To bad for me, since I need to look elsewhere :)