Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Put an idle server to some use
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Put an idle server to some use

stallionstallion Member
edited November 2015 in Help

I moved all my client accounts to a new server and my old host refused to refund me on prorata. Now I have a server doing nothing for which I paid.

How can I put it to some kind of use so I can maybe make some money. I dont like my money sitting doing nothing and going to waste like that if you know what I mean.

edit: its a 5420 8 cores with 1 Tb HD and 16 gb ram.

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

how long have you paid for it? for the month? next month? a year?

throw a website and ads on it. then drive some traffic to it.

I assume as you mentioned clients, you know how to make money.

throw some shared hosting affiliate "reviews" on there and spam LET with it. your account might survive a couple of days if the mods are away. people get bored here, so would surely enjoy a little drama, spam and flagging activity.

of course the above information is provided as is, for educational and informational purposes only.

Thanked by 12bb3
  • that shit dont work no more. any more suggestions? the server is paid till 15th of this month.

• stallion said: the server is paid till 15th of this month.

Not long! Forget your money and help the swarm, or the archive project or whatever makes some sense for you.

You also might resell it to some spammers or criminals, but the money wouldn't be worth the trouble, and why would you help those ugly people.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • those who make money out of servers 10 days is 1/3 of a month, 1/3 of income etc ... those who idle servers like myself 10 days is still say Hhhmmm what can i do ... @stallion let it be and power it off.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • 10 days? srsly...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Thanked by 1netomx
  • I'd cancel it. But hey, some people surely love to burn their money.

• I thought of telling you to run a Tor relay but you probably won't consider it

Thanked by 1daxterfellowes
  • Linux isos!

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited November 2015

Turn on root login and give root an empty password or just password as the password.

See what happens.

• @ATHK said:
    Turn on root login and give root an empty password or just password as the password.

See what happens.

Yes, then atleast somebody will find a use for it :P

Turn it into a honey pot or something? Doge mine.