Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Predictions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End Predictions

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited December 2012 in General

What are your predictions - LEB/technology-wise - for 2013?

Not interested in political/sports/etc. predictions. Relevant to this site's core discussion.

Comments

• $7/1gb KVM from reputable companies by year end.

• @Damian said: $7/1gb KVM from reputable companies by year end.

I don't see why people couldn't do that now with the recent price of RAM and increase in server density per $ spent

• @Damian will have 1.30/mth 1/2gb plans due to cheaper ram and components.

Providers will rise... and some will fall. THERE WILL BE ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL YEAR OF LEBs & LET.

• @Corey said: I don't see why people couldn't do that now with the recent price of RAM and increase in server density per $ spent

Indeed. I kinda wonder if companies are fearful. Gotta lower the water to expose the rocks.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Low-end dedicated servers will become more common, and at least one reputable company will try to approach Kimsufi pricing.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I predict a lower cost of manufacturing and lower cost of hardware by the end of 2013.

I know, that's totally nuts right? ;)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jarland said: I know, that's totally nuts right? ;)

That's usually the trend but there are long anomalies - e.g., the Thailand flood's effect on hard drive prices.

• I predict an influx of small dedi offerings based on the intel NUC.

• Probably really really cheap ARM based dedicated servers?

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited December 2012

@Damian said: $7/1gb KVM from reputable companies by year end.

We are already able to do that pricing at the present time, and we are working on cooking something up, or are we?

• Bunch of the gimmick companies will finally go under
    Prices slightly go up
    Budget customers still fall for gimmicks

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

I predict that the bar of $7 will be changed and move to a price p/mb model instead.

The LEB tag line of "Hosting Websites on Bare Minimum VPS/Dedicated Servers" is no longer relevant to most people here now (I think) it is more about how many MB's p/$ rather than being skilful enough to run xxxyyyzzz services all on 128MB.

Some of these 2GB plans would have been considered high end by the original LEA I think :)

• @AnthonySmith said: Some of these 512MB plans would have been considered high end by the original LEA I think :)

FTFY :X

• $5 IPv4 price everywhere

• @vedran said: $5 IPv4 price everywhere

Not until ARIN and AFRINIC run out. ARIN stil has 2.70 /8s

• OpenVZ support for Windows.
    KVM with 1gb ram under $5.00
    Chicago_VPS Takes price of 2GB OpenVZ down to $4.00
    Bamn stops being a dick! (Not gonna happen!) lol!
    One of the big vps companies will fall.

• I predict the machines will finally take over and rule us all. Wait they do now....

Seriously though on topic some providers will continue to flourish as others flounder. Technology will progress and we may see the dedicated market actually come down into the $20 zone for cheap machines. I am not saying they will extremely useful but we may see them offered.

• $15 dollar colo!

• We'll start seeing some more IPv6-only offers as providers become unable to afford IPv4 IPs

Someone will come out with a Low End (pricing wise) 3GB or 4GB OVZ.

• @24khost said: Bamn stops being a dick! (Not gonna happen!) lol!

I plan on creating more butthurt in 2013

• @JTR they may come out with it, but it is not sustainable.

• @24khost said: @JTR they may come out with it, but it is not sustainable.

Remember at the end of 2011? Where everyone was predicting that ChicagoVPS would deadpool soon? There were only two companies in existence at that time who hadn't deadpooled and were offering 2GB OVZ plans. Now, look at how many there are.

• Yes but the price of doing 2gb is technically feasible if your smart about it. 4gb for that price is not technically feasible. Unless you really oversell a node you can't make enough profit unless you have free rackspace and cheap ip's

edited December 2012

@24khost said: Unless you really oversell a node you can't make enough profit unless you have free rackspace and cheap ip's

Find a good deal on hardware, can be done here and there, just not a regular and recurring thing. Just a node here or there when you come across good used deals could do it though.

• When you figure in the cost of colo,hardware and ip's the 3gb and 4gb openvz plans just don't make it work at least for me I don't see any profit.

• @24khost said: Yes but the price of doing 2gb is technically feasible if your smart about it. 4gb for that price is not technically feasible. Unless you really oversell a node you can't make enough profit unless you have free rackspace and cheap ip's

Not unless if you have monster servers with 512GB ram and 10-18 disks in raid 10, SSD cache, 3 year ROI (Don't happen, but doesn't hurt to try) and colocate them with some cheap dc.

• @jarland said: Find a good deal on hardware, can be done here and there, just not a regular and recurring thing. Just a node here or there when you come across good used deals could do it though.

I've abandoned this approach in exchange for standardization. I don't see much difference in price overall when buying higher grade, current gear compared to pinching every penny, after adding in lost customers due to hardware failures, credits given for downtime, cost to repair old hardware .....

@miTgiB said: I've abandoned this approach in exchange for standardization. I don't see much difference in price overall when buying higher grade, current gear compared to pinching every penny, after adding in lost customers due to hardware failures, credits given for downtime, cost to repair old hardware .....

That's a pretty good point.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited December 2012

So now your talking at least a 2u server. with 512 GB ram and you better have the 18 disks cause else your i/o will be junk.

• @24khost 512GB not mb.

:)