Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Debian 6 unsupported by some VPS providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is Debian 6 unsupported by some VPS providers?

LongShotLongShot Member
edited November 2011 in General

I'm a Debian 6 fanboy because it's the best distro for creating a minimal VPS. It's also generally regarded as well-tested and stable.

I've found that more than one VPS provider's reinstall page states that Debian 6 is not supported, and that I "use it at my own risk." Why is Debian 6 an issue for some VPS providers? Are there virtualization problems?

Comments

• Most likely when they downloaded the Debian 6 template it was still very new and unsupported. That was a while back. If you open a ticket with them most providers will grab a newer template for you.

• Sadly enough, Ubuntu's popularity is the most likely culprit. We've offered 6 since it released, and have had zero issues with it on OVZ or KVM. I'm also using Deb6 on XEN with other hosts, so I know it's fine there as well.

• I agree it's one of the best distro's for a min specced VPS. I've had zero issues with it and my customers haven't pointed out any problems either.

• I'm not sure but i think u can just install Debian 5 from a template and then update it to Debian 6.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: I'm not sure but i think u can just install Debian 5 from a template and then update it to Debian 6.

This is true. But to be perfectly honest, you shouldn't have to. There's really no reason not to be supporting Deb6 at this point.

• CentOS would be the one to blame. All these "unsupported" issues were eventually due to CentOS or other RHEL-like stuff on host.

If the whole industry was developed from Debian or even Ubuntu, you won't see so many problems today.

• If I remember correctly, the beta Debian 6 OpenVZ template when it came out was terrible.

• The original release, aye. That's why we simply made our own and pushed forward, having it available before anyone else would safely offer it.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: I'm not sure but i think u can just install Debian 5 from a template and then update it to Debian 6.

Not completely true. With an old kernel you will have problems... I tried and... bad bad bad.

• 12+ VPS's on BuyVM running Debian6 and i'm very happy with it, much prefer the Debian environment to CentOS. Slowly moving all my servers over to Debian as time goes on, it will be a year long process.

• Why is it actually so difficult to make images of new distros?
    Isn't it just like u need to install it in a VM, then make a snapshot of the harddisk that's your image?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Why is it actually so difficult to make images of new distros? Isn't it just like u need to install it in a VM, then make a snapshot of the harddisk that's your image?

Kernel support. OpenVZ uses the same kernel as the host, remember? So lots of distros/packages need a more recent kernel.