Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ in a KVM box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ in a KVM box

iskandarrezaiskandarreza Member
edited November 2015 in General

I did it before. This was in my previous company. We built the server from scratch and installed all the necessary stuff on it. Just for the challenge, we installed the SolusVM master in an OpenVZ container within Dom1 of the KVM and Dom0 was the slave. There was no real good reason to do that other that to see if it can be done. But it was great to be able to provision ovz and kvm on the same machine.

Anyway, any providers here allow that? As in creating ovz containers in their kvm box?

Comments

• It's called slabbing.

Thanked by 2emdad netomx
  • As long as you don't create abuse problems, I don't see why any provider wouldn't let you do that.

• are you sure it wasn't a xen box? dom0/1?

Thanked by 1iskandarreza
  • @iskandarreza are you running a hosting business or a web design firm? If so, don't be shy to put it on your signature.

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    It's called slabbing.

I knew it as nested virtualization. :P

@OP, I believe providers won't happily allow it. I asked some recently. I was asked to be cautious about CPU usage....

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • emdad said: I knew it as nested virtualization.

nested would be running KVM within KVM, or xen or some other hypervison, OpenVZ will run without issue in anything really.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • I know many hosts allow openvz in KVM/Xen as it's known not to cause much issue.

• I don't think anyone cares as long as you don't abuse their resources.

• @elgs said:
    I don't think anyone cares as long as you don't abuse their resources.

Other than CPU if its in your plan its yours to use. CPU if dedicated you can use. If shared then check limits

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    It's called slabbing.

32mb.club did a great job of that when they still existed

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @doghouch Where are they now?

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    doghouch Where are they now?

They were bought out by some company... I don't remember, sorry.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2015

@vRozenSch00n said:
    doghouch Where are they now?

Never mind, I think that they were bought out by BudgetGeek, who went defunct a while back.

• Lowendspirit.com Tokyo Openvz containers run on vultr ssd vps-s as far as I know. At least DD indicates it's SSD with hundreds of "IO"/s.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • doghouch said: they were bought out by BudgetGeek, who went defunct a while back.

Ah, that's too bad.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

Must add all kinds of latency when you do that yes? I would imagine you could generate some pretty significant random r/w I/O as well if you are not careful/responsible about it.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@GM2015 said:
    Lowendspirit.com Tokyo Openvz containers run on vultr ssd vps-s as far as I know. At least DD indicates it's SSD with hundreds of "IO"/s.

I confirm this.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

@davidgestiondbi said:
    I confirm this.

So vultr allows that? I know DO wisely doesn't. That's definitely a lowend way to do it...must run like crap though.

• @AnthonySmith does it on vultr, though I ain't sure which package he has.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

@Microlinux said:
    As long as you don't create abuse problems, I don't see why any provider wouldn't let you do that.

I guess with SSD+RAID it could run ok but at some point a bunch of VPS's could start to cause excessive I/O.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

sman said: Must add all kinds of latency when you do that yes?

Naa runs great, its just containers, nothing special.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

iskandarreza said: creating ovz containers in their kvm box?

Offer link?

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

I guess this explains all the Vultr threads around here.

• @century1stop said:
    are you sure it wasn't a xen box? dom0/1?

Yes you are right. It was yoinks ago, forgot what virtualization I used.

@vRozenSch00n said:
    iskandarreza are you running a hosting business or a web design firm? If so, don't be shy to put it on your signature.

Kinda both. My sites, the main corporate one for all my services, and a one-pager brochure site for WordPress Hosting, are both not quite ready. I've been thinking long and hard about how to approach it before I unleash it to the rest of the internet. The WordPress hosting one that is. The corporate one needs a couple more pages with tables for SEO reasons but other than that it's design is more or less set.

• iskandarreza said: Kinda both. My sites, the main corporate one for all my services, and a one-pager brochure site for WordPress Hosting, are both not quite ready.

In that case, prepare your site well, while explore the market and possibilities here.

I am sure many providers would be very happy to use your designing service and maybe if you are in the hosting business you might find good partners here.

Thanked by 1iskandarreza
  • @doghouch said:

@doghouch said:
    Never mind, I think that they were bought out by BudgetGeek, who went defunct a while back.

We took it over.

• @MSPNick said:
    We took it over.

Oh. Why does it show an ad directory then?

• @doghouch said:

It's all on our site now. I didn't keep the name.

• @MSPNick said:
    I didn't keep the name

Thank you for the information :)