Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

virtualization advice from the providers here
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

virtualization advice from the providers here

shaanlshaanl Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hiya

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated server for personal use, and am wanting to (and this is if i can, without any issues) run Windows Server 2008 R2 as well as CentOS 6 on the server, at the same time ofcourse.

Windows will be for general day to day remote admin stuff, while CentOS will have WHM installed for sites I am hosting.

The specs of the dedi are:
Intel Xeon X3430 (8M cache, 2.40 GHz)
16GB of memory
2 x 1TB SATA hard drives; 7200rpm

Which virtualization option from your experience, would allow me to do this?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

KVM would allow you to run both concurrently. You'll need to install Linux as the host operating system, then install a Windows guest.

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page

• @shaanl said: Which virtualization option from your experience, would allow me to do this?

Hyper-V, Xen HVM, KVM, vmware....

• KVM AFAIK.

I'm not a provider and I only know this much.

• Does KVM allow for secured /tmp partitions like Xen does?

Sorry if that sounds silly, its just from what I know.

• @shaanl: Secure /tmp partition on the host or on the guest os?

• On the host.

I'd be running CentOS with kvm as well as WHM, if that's possible?

• @shaanl said: Does KVM allow for secured /tmp partitions like Xen does?

It should; KVM can mount HN partitions, or image files, as partitions inside the guest VM.

• Great, thanks everyone!

• If you're looking for something simple then I recommend XenServer.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@wdq said: XenServer

Yes, the free version is called XCP.
    You can run both windows (as a HVM machine) and CentOS paravirtualized to get advantage of the lower overhead.
    Routing in XCP (XenServer) is alse very easy and straightforward if you need something more complicated setup.
    So, it will give you the best of both worlds, fast paravirtualization with the production machine and the convenience of windows on fully virtualized (slower) machine.
    However, Proxmox can also do this, will be able to host you a KVM machine for windows and an OVZ machine for the production CentOS.
    Both are great, my personal preference is XCP because i tend to have complicated network setups and because i like xen more.

• Kvm and cpanel/whm on the Host node? I would not recommend that

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think the cpanel/whm was for one of the VPSes, not on HN.

• Citrix Xenserver (free community) had been popular for stuff like this. I used it for a few years for similar setup. It's counter intuitive though and deviation from standard Linux stuff we all tend to know and like.

I just did a Proxmox deployment. Proxmox is even easier. Burn ISO, install. Reboot. Start controlling setup via web browser. Supports Winblows as well inside containers.

I'd look at Proxmox first. Lowest barrier of entry.

• Great, thanks for the tips, I'll try out XCP and Proxmox.

Initially I was going to have kvm and cpanel/whm on the HN, but after reading a bit more I'm going to create a container for cpanel and another for windows

• I'll second Proxmox. I have used it for a couple years and its really easy to get going.